Customer only wants conventional oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change is hard for some people. If it ant broken, don't fix. fear of upsell (even when the price is logical) .. I can see why

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Drove to Walmart and picked up a 5-qt jug of Chevron 5W-30 conventional. Now everyone is happy.

Who did; you or the customer?

Me
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Critic - any reason you didn't just buy the ST dino oil? It does everything a brand name will do, for less $$$.

I'd ask the customer, politely and with respect, to perhaps bring his own flavor of oil/filter, and then you'll just do the labor?

Since it was a new customer, I prefer to not set the precedent that it is okay to supply his/her own parts. For multiple reasons, it is best to use a product with good brand recognition in the professional space.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
In Toyota's wisdom they required an oil & filter change every six months or 5,000 miles on both of our '08 RAV4 3.5l V-6 cars bought new. Both were driven less than 3,000 miles PER YEAR. The oil might have had 200 miles on it since the last change but it had to be dumped for warranty including extended warranty. Synthetic? Not on a bet, why would I?

I still use, and insist on, regular oil but change once a year. The engines have a 6 quart sump and get 5W30 conventional. Both are right around 25K miles and are likely cleaner inside than a brand new engine. Synth ain't right for everyone.

I am amazed that you have such low mileages on your RAV6s, I had an '06 and just plain loved to drive the thing!! I have to admit that I liked it more all around that my current FXT, although the Subaru does have a much better AWD system.
I just tend to drive a lot in general (~20k/year), but I think I would have found excuses to take the RAV6 out no matter what...but, yours will probably last a long time with lighter usage. 8 years/160k and my Toyota was feeling kind of tired, so I moved on.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Critic - any reason you didn't just buy the ST dino oil? It does everything a brand name will do, for less $$$.

I'd ask the customer, politely and with respect, to perhaps bring his own flavor of oil/filter, and then you'll just do the labor?

Since it was a new customer, I prefer to not set the precedent that it is okay to supply his/her own parts. For multiple reasons, it is best to use a product with good brand recognition in the professional space.

Good point; I had not considered that part of the equation.

Maybe time to stock some jugs of dino on the shelf for those rare conditions?

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Maybe he doesn't want leaks? He'll be fine either way.

I guess. I am just impressed that he wanted an inferior oil; I would have charged him the exact same amount for our house-brand dexos1 gen2 approved 5W-30 synthetic.

If the customer is no longer always right, what's the point of shopping for anything other than clearance oils?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back