Customer only wants conventional oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
$20 says that he's been brainwashed by someone, either in his family, or who does 'shadetree' work for him or someone in his family, that if you use synthetic oil in an older car, it will suddenly leak like a sieve.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
This reminds me of my parents....

Unlike me (and the proof I bring), my dad is simply not interested in using a synthetic at all. They have a 2012 T&C, and it has never seen a synthetic. They get it changed now at the local dealership, which I think uses a Pennzoil syn blend. I have even offered to give them oil to take to the dealership....

I have a 2011 Town and Country with nearly 80k, and it has never seen anything better than a Syn blend...

I'm not sure what the benefit is to make an example of your Dad, when he hasn't done a thing wrong. It's his vehicle, let it go.

Why not pickup a case of Chevron Supreme from Costco or Sam's next time a customer who wants conventional? Costco ain't far from you.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Drove to Walmart and picked up a 5-qt jug of Chevron 5W-30 conventional. Now everyone is happy.

Who did; you or the customer?

Until I discovered BITOG, I never bought or used synthetic oil. And the only reason that I did buy syn oil afterward was because of the Product Rebate, Sales and Promotions section and I continue to buy dino & syn today.

However, before discovering Bob's, I put many hundreds of thousands of mile on vehicles using anything dino including the wrong weight/grade of oils and mixing them. ATMOF, on car in particular car('88 Accord w/carb) never saw anything better than store brand dino between 3k-5k miles OCIs and we drove it 340K in 18 yrs.

I don't think this customer's a "pain" because of a simple request to use conventional oil. The OP did good by this guest.

You did good. Over the years I have dealt with customers like yours. I made suggestions and recommendations, if they took them fine, if they didn't I sold them what they wanted. At the end of the day a happy paying customer is what you want.

I'm surprised that someone still makes a pure dino oil,meeting the API SN standard meant going "blend" or "Semi synthetic" for most all brands.

Critic - any reason you didn't just buy the ST dino oil? It does everything a brand name will do, for less $$$.

I'd ask the customer, politely and with respect, to perhaps bring his own flavor of oil/filter, and then you'll just do the labor?

My father never ever deviated from conventional oil and 3000 mile oci. All of his vehicles were driven to approx 200000 miles. This includes cars from the late fifties and early sixties till he passed in 2008. He couldn't believe I would spend/waste dollars on M1 and drive 6000 miles without changing the oil.

There's a guy near me who I went to grade school with and he's been in the automotive service field since the early '80s. In his life, he's changed oil in tens of thousands of vehicles and does automotive repair on the side. His shop also sells oil and can rattle off just about any spec you need for oil.
A couple of years ago, he overhauled his granddad's John Deere B tractor (circa 1939, I think) and I was in his shop to admire it. I asked him what oil he now uses for it, and he told me non-detergent 30 weight. I was flabbergasted and I guess it showed. He then told me that the the tractor had run on non-detergent oil for 75 years just fine and he then asked me if I could guarantee that detergent oil would last more than 75 years.
I couldn't answer him on that, so I let it drop.
The point is, sometimes you just have to let the customer or owner have the oil he wants so everybody is happy.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Until I discovered BITOG, I never bought or used synthetic oil.

...but I believed synthetic oil was probably superior.

Post-BITOG, I'm not so convinced.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I always figured..."his car, his money".

Smoky
Exactly!, If the customer wants to put olive oil in their vehicle, so be it. Millions of vehicles on the road today that are running straight dino and they are running just as well or better than the vehicles with synthetic. Even the Blackstone lab engineers state straight of of their website FAQ section"We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us."

Many shops do like to up sell though and I realize that. I prefer to do my own maintenance but a few years back I was at a conference in Little Rock and had did not have time to change oil before I left on the Sonata and so had it done at a Quickshop Shell and the manager tried to upsell me to synthetic and when I declined he then tried to convince me to do the semi synthetic. It pizzed me and I left. I told him I came here for an simple oil change nothing more. I am a customer not an ATM so that you can boost your profit margins." I left and went to another place and the guy shrugged his shoulders and acted like I was the problem. As a customer that is very irritating and one reason many people avoid going to these places.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
My father never ever deviated from conventional oil and 3000 mile oci. All of his vehicles were driven to approx 200000 miles. This includes cars from the late fifties and early sixties till he passed in 2008. He couldn't believe I would spend/waste dollars on M1 and drive 6000 miles without changing the oil.

I agree, maybe the 3000 (just based on iffy lube advertising) could have been changed to 4000 or 5000 with dino. He and the nation would save more oil/less waste

and With a dino oil CHANGE you do get FRESH oil.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Exactly!, If the customer wants to put olive oil in their vehicle, so be it. Millions of vehicles on the road today that are running straight dino and they are running just as well or better than the vehicles with synthetic. Even the Blackstone lab engineers state straight of of their website FAQ section"We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us."

Many shops do like to up sell though and I realize that. I prefer to do my own maintenance but a few years back I was at a conference in Little Rock and had did not have time to change oil before I left on the Sonata and so had it done at a Quickshop Shell and the manager tried to upsell me to synthetic and when I declined he then tried to convince me to do the semi synthetic. It pizzed me and I left. I told him I came here for an simple oil change nothing more. I am a customer not an ATM so that you can boost your profit margins." I left and went to another place and the guy shrugged his shoulders and acted like I was the problem. As a customer that is very irritating and one reason many people avoid going to these places.

I don't blame you for leaving, but I wouldn't be surprised if the manager didn't care too much because they didn't make a lot of money on the conventional changes. Seems like a $30-40 delta for synth vs. dino changes is pretty common around here and we sure know that a place buying oil in bulk is not paying anything close to that much more for 5 or so quarts of bulk oil. He may have also figured out that you weren't going to be a return customer as an out-of-towner and wasn't too worried about losing local business due to poor word of mouth.
Doesn't excuse the hard sell, but maybe makes it more understandable.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
There's a guy near me who I went to grade school with and he's been in the automotive service field since the early '80s. In his life, he's changed oil in tens of thousands of vehicles and does automotive repair on the side. His shop also sells oil and can rattle off just about any spec you need for oil.
A couple of years ago, he overhauled his granddad's John Deere B tractor (circa 1939, I think) and I was in his shop to admire it. I asked him what oil he now uses for it, and he told me non-detergent 30 weight. I was flabbergasted and I guess it showed. He then told me that the the tractor had run on non-detergent oil for 75 years just fine and he then asked me if I could guarantee that detergent oil would last more than 75 years.
I couldn't answer him on that, so I let it drop.
The point is, sometimes you just have to let the customer or owner have the oil he wants so everybody is happy.

It probably was so full of gunk that if he uses a detergent oil it might have broken down.. an overhaul doesnt necessarily mean cleaning out all the old gunk from every place in the engine that would have it after 75 years of nd oil.

Continuing to use non-detergent oil was very smart.

I always go 5K with the cheapest dino and have pushed up to 6k or 7k on a few occasions, though I prefer to do my OCI just below or slightly above the 5k mark. A vehicle that has 300K plus on the odometer, still has 300K plus on the odometer, no matter if the oil was dino or synthetic.

In Toyota's wisdom they required an oil & filter change every six months or 5,000 miles on both of our '08 RAV4 3.5l V-6 cars bought new. Both were driven less than 3,000 miles PER YEAR. The oil might have had 200 miles on it since the last change but it had to be dumped for warranty including extended warranty. Synthetic? Not on a bet, why would I?

I still use, and insist on, regular oil but change once a year. The engines have a 6 quart sump and get 5W30 conventional. Both are right around 25K miles and are likely cleaner inside than a brand new engine. Synth ain't right for everyone.

Being a younger guy, I always look forward to the oil advice I'll get at WalMart.

"Don't use Pennzoil it causes sludge"
"Don't use that synthetic in a car unless it's newer than 2010"
"That Xw20 stuff is water, you want a 10w40 at least"
"Don't buy that Fram, you want the one above it (Purolator)"
"I hope that's going in a diesel" (I was buying Rotella T5 10w30 for some outdoor power equipment)

My GF has it worse when she goes to a place like Autozone. She had to get some Castrol 0w40 for her BMW, and the counter guy tried to convince her not to buy it even after she told him what car it was for. He tried to get her to use Castrol 5w20.

It scares me to think how many people who might not be 100% in the know actually take the advice they get from people who have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back