Current consensus on PUP?

Now that it’s dexos gen 3 approved I’m intrigued. My Acadia gets 5k changes so I know it doesn’t matter really. Currently using M1. What’s the current consensus on PUP? Good stuff?

Imho, if you wanna stay with Pennzoil then try Euro LX or L, I think they are better oils than Ultra overall.
I periodically second guess myself when I see people going on about dexos approvals. If you must use a
dexos oil for warranty purposes it makes sense. Other than fuel economy or maybe cheap LSPI protection, I don't understand why people choose a dexos oil over something that meets more stringent specifications, like MB 229.52+ or Porsche C30. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is from their site . Looks to be for 0w-20 , 5w-20 and 5w-30 . Maybe it'll appear on the bottles in the near future ? May need to use ZOOM .

IMG_4138.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG

This is from T.M.O.G. ( 6/17/23 ) on YouTube . PLATINUM on the LEFT and ULTRA to the RIGHT .

IMG_4140.JPG

V.O.A. ULTRA 5w-20

IMG_4146.JPG
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4148.JPG

V.O.A. ULTRA 0w-20

IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Last edited:
Euro LX oil is both C2 (fuel economy) and MB 229.52 (LSPI protection); unless someone wants an oil thinner than 30 weight only then PUP may make sense, I'd prolly go with VW 508 oil thou.

Now that it’s dexos gen 3 approved I’m intrigued. My Acadia gets 5k changes so I know it doesn’t matter really. Currently using M1. What’s the current consensus on PUP? Good stuff?

Stick with Mobil 1 5W-30 or if you want a better oil, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Now if you really want to go better, look at any of the HPL Oils.
Pennzoil was great around like 2012 or 2013 when it was Pennzoil Ultra, not anymore. Does it really matter, I do not have the money to do tests and prove otherwise, but for me I do want the best oil at a reasonable price. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 ESP are at reasonable prices, PUP is not.

Good stuff. I feel Pennzoil gets talked down because of its “lack of” this and “lack of” that. But since its GTL it is a lot more pure and doesnt necessarily need a lot to compensate. It keeps engines clean and running, and Shell knows what they are doing so… 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Back