Penzoil Euro 0W-30 LX

I have really been intrigued with the whole Euro spec oils recently and wanted other members opinion running Penzoil Euro 0W-30 LX. I'm really considering ordering some on amazon and trying it out on my 21 Subaru Outback 2.5. It really dilutes fuel 5-6% 3-6k miles. Currently running Amsoil OE 0w-20 3k/ 6 month OCI. With this penzoil I'll try to push it out to 6k/ 12 month OCI. So far I'm really liking the cold flow specs since I'm in MN. Price wise it's about $43/ 6 quarts on amazon right now.

Any Euro 0W-30 that meets ACEA C3 and MB 229.52 would work well, IMO, but it's probably a much larger increase in HTHS than you really need.

Personally, I would stick to 6-month OCIs for warranty purposes, since that's what Subaru recommends, and 6k might be a bit much if your driving includes a lot of short tripping in cold weather. With 6-month OCIs, any API SP / D1G3 oil in a 0W-30 or 5W-30 would work well and be a bit thicker than the 0W-20. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 has good cold flow for a 5W. Mobil 1 has a 0W-30.

I'm curious why the Penzoil Euro L/LX 0/5W-30 are "only" SN not SP. Not to mention that 0W-30 seems to meet more specs than 5W-30, but the latter meets BMW LL-04.

Do NOT run 1 year oil changes on your Subaru. They're hard enough on oil as it is, plus the accepted "up to" 1/2 a quart per 1.2k miles that Subaru and many other manufacturers claim is "normal".

I like your idea of going to a Euro oil. I just switched my turbo/DI Buick over to Castrol Euro 5W30 and I'm liking the results so far.

I went full on for the LX oil, tried a few brands and viscosities over years and this is what I'm gonna stick with. The oil works very well in wide variety of engines, works great in my local climate.

Do NOT run 1 year oil changes on your Subaru. They're hard enough on oil as it is, plus the accepted "up to" 1/2 a quart per 1.2k miles that Subaru and many other manufacturers claim is "normal".

I like your idea of going to a Euro oil. I just switched my turbo/DI Buick over to Castrol Euro 5W30 and I'm liking the results so far.
Which Buick engine?

I plan on sampling the oil after 3k miles/ 6 months and going on from there. I don't believe 6k 12 months OCI will be an issue if the oil holds up. I did a 8 month 5k ish run with amsoil signature 0w-20 and it was fine. Just on the mid to lower end of the viscosity rating. Hence my reasoning with moving to a robust euro 0w-30. So even with fuel dilution it still plenty of protection. My engine only has 32k miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

I plan on sampling the oil after 3k miles/ 6 months and going on from there. I don't believe 6k 12 months OCI will be an issue if the oil holds up. I did a 8 month 5k ish run with amsoil signature 0w-20 and it was fine. Just on the mid to lower end of the viscosity rating. Hence my reasoning with moving to a robust euro 0w-30. So even with fuel dilution it still plenty of protection. My engine only has 32k miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Sounds like the perfect use case for a Euro 0w-30. Amsoil OE is nothing special, as I'm sure you know. Switching now could save you headaches in the future.

Good to see you've got no oil burning yet. When I was servicing a lot of FB-powered cars, I didn't start to see significant oil consumption in the until the 60k-ish range. After that, it seemed like a quart per 1k just became the norm.

I'm curious why the Penzoil Euro L/LX 0/5W-30 are "only" SN not SP. Not to mention that 0W-30 seems to meet more specs than 5W-30, but the latter meets BMW LL-04.
Calcium is a bit high in the 1700 range (LSPI prevention tends to have a bit lower Calcium). And/or, they simply didn't run the SP testing protocol. The UOA indicated it held up very well for 5000 miles in a 228 HP BMW B48 engine I ran it in.

Besides the zddp mentions earlier in this thread, SP Dexos 1 Gen 2/3 recipes show Calcium decreases from SN and Magnesium increases from SN.

If Carbon / Soot is not a problem for the thread-starter, then using the Pennzoil LX oils suffices.

Calcium is a bit high in the 1700 range (LSPI prevention tends to have a bit lower Calcium). And/or, they simply didn't run the SP testing protocol. The UOA indicated it held up very well for 5000 miles in a 228 HP BMW B48 engine I ran it in.
MB229.52 approval has LSPI testing requirements. Perhaps even more stringent LSPI mitigation tests than Dexos & API.

Last edited:
I’m running it in my Chevy 6.0 LS engine. It’s kinematic viscosity of 11.9 is on the high end of a 30 grade oil. While I don’t have to do starts at -30 F I will be doing a cold start at somewhere between -10 and -20 F this Friday.

CFC78A6B-023C-4760-8344-70747DD5C0D8.png
71136472-5EC8-4C38-A2DA-6CC9BB90A4F5.png

Last edited:
Back