Current Civic's reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting the feelings about the Civic. It's one of the top sellers in California.......

Must really be a piece of garbage to be a top seller!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Interesting the feelings about the Civic. It's one of the top sellers in California.......

Must really be a piece of garbage to be a top seller!
smirk.gif

Not really, only a small percentage of buyers have any clue about anything but price and getting a new car.... What you don't know let's you sleep easy at night. That aside most here would find fault with perfection.

Originally Posted By: flinter
What the heck is a "catch can"???

Catch can collects oil vapors before it collects back into the intake manifold where deposits can form.

Still too early to talk about the drivetrain. TGDI 1.5L engines are new, and most of them are under 30-50k miles. I wouldn't worry about the CVT though.

Although there is a fuel dilution problem, I haven't seen excessive wear metals in UOAs.

Aftermarket oil catch can won't fix fuel dilution, but it will reduce carbon buildup in the long term.

I really like the design of latest HB Sport Civic and wouldn't mind CVT as a daily driver, but DI is a deal breaker for me. That doesn't mean it is a bad car, I would personally wait until they offer some sort of dual injection system. I believe - not only Honda - but many car manufacturers push DI systems too early for negligible MPG (and CR) difference.

However, sedan 10th gen Civics have some quality issues globally. I've seen dent on C pillars even on brand new cars in showroom.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/dent-above-passenger-doors-accident-or-body-issue.3002/

I have no doubt that the new Civic, particularly one with a manual transmission, would be fun to drive. The idea of choosing a car because it delivers more driving pleasure, but perhaps requires more maintenance and expense, is a frivolous concept to the minds of some members around here.

Somebody could post a question about a Porsche or Ferrari in his stable and you would soon hear scoffing about how the cost of ownership per mile driven is higher than say, a used Ford F-150 or Toyota Camry. Just part of the eccentricity of this website.

My youngest Son just leased one two weeks ago. I had no knowledge of it till he showed up at my house with it.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Here’s the deal - everyone likes to see 40+ mpg and be able to quickly accelerate if needed, right? Well, that’s what turbo charging for along with direct injection. And it comes ata cost - a little extra maintenance and better fluids. If you don’t feel like doing that - get yourself a tundra qith NA and 13mpg

All you really need is a manual transmission to get the combination of performance, high mpg, and low maintenance from today’s naturally aspirated four cylinder engine. I’m getting a combined 34 mpg from my 6MT ‘14 Corolla 1.8l non-turbo, non-direct injection engine. I also rev the heck out of it and I’m not hesitant to work the gears. I’m not missing my DI and turbocharged 2.0l ‘14 VW GLI that I sold 2 years ago at all.

Originally Posted By: Jett Rink
I have no doubt that the new Civic, particularly one with a manual transmission, would be fun to drive. The idea of choosing a car because it delivers more driving pleasure, but perhaps requires more maintenance and expense, is a frivolous concept to the minds of some members around here.

Somebody could post a question about a Porsche or Ferrari in his stable and you would soon hear scoffing about how the cost of ownership per mile driven is higher than say, a used Ford F-150 or Toyota Camry. Just part of the eccentricity of this website.

IMO if you want something fun to drive don't buy an econobox; been there, done that myself. I would gamble that my "muscle" cars are more reliable than modern D.I CVT, etc. Gas mileage isn't great, though, but that's it. V-8 N/A engines are very reliable.

Waste of money for a stock car. They don't prevent or eliminate deposits (ask the VW/Audi, and BMW guys who tried them early on to fix deposit issues), they do nothing on a stock engine other than collect "stuff" that goes into the intake anyway.

My BIL has had zero issues with his 2017 Civic hatchback 1.5T 6spd manual. He's only at 50K miles though. On a recent long road trip we took, he commented he'll never get another manual trans after the horrendous traffic jambs we were stuck in. Hours of stop/go.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Waste of money for a stock car. They don't prevent or eliminate deposits (ask the VW/Audi, and BMW guys who tried them early on to fix deposit issues), they do nothing on a stock engine other than collect "stuff" that goes into the intake anyway.

So I assume it won't hurt anything if you take a full catch can and dump the gunk back into the intake manifold.

This is probably a question that can be better answered a few years from now as some of the high milers driving this generation of Civic reach 200K.
I personally doubt that Honda has sacrificed durability in a quest for fuel economy, but the tale will be told as these cars reach high mileages.
New implementations of what are usually fairly old ideas always bring out the nay-sayers.
I've been guilty of this as well, which is the reason that I bought a '12 Accord in that year rather than a '13.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x100%

Isn’t collecting stuff that goes back into the intake the whole point of OCC? I believe it is, and the one I have does exactly what it is supposed to be doing

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

So I assume it won't hurt anything if you take a full catch can and dump the gunk back into the intake manifold.

Sure it will. It will most likely hydrolock the engine. But that same gunk has been going through engines since the 50's when closed PCV systems were required. And yet engines last 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, etc with that gunk going through them constantly. A trickle does nothing.

When one of the "prominent" can vendors was pitching them for the EB 3.5 he made all sorts of claims. Backed up 0 of them with facts, including that it would cure deposits.

On a modified engine it may be of some benefit but not for a stock engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

IMO if you want something fun to drive don't buy an econobox; been there, done that myself. I would gamble that my "muscle" cars are more reliable than modern D.I CVT, etc. Gas mileage isn't great, though, but that's it. V-8 N/A engines are very reliable.

Not everyone can afford a fun car and have to drive an econobox.

Ya see, I tried to play that "cheap econobox fun car" game too with my last focus SES. Mind you, the car was auto (need it for this traffic). Despite pouring thousands in suspension upgrades, the car was still underpowered so then I'd have to upgrade it with a turbo and other things that would cost me time and effort.

At the end of the day, it's just easier to get a more powerful (non turbo) vehicle. It'll save you hassle dealing with warranty and all that other nonsense.

The "new" Civic is a fantastic car to drive for the money. I've spent some time behind the wheel of my dad's and it's impressive, particularly chassis/suspension/steering feel. The 2.0 is probably as bulletproof as you can get in terms of engines and I'd totally trust Honda's CVT at this point. I found the CVT completely inoffensive and will go so far as saying it functioned very well when driving my dad's.

As for the 1.5T, fuel dilution is a known attribute of these engines. Unless you're in a particularly cold climate I probably wouldn't worry as, other than noting the behavior, there is zero indication of ill-effects due to it. Honda has designed all of its modern turbo engines with the exact same reliability targets as its naturally aspirated engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back