Crawlspace dehumidifier

I think my Aprilaire dehumidifier may no longer be working. I need a new one or a second while I get the Aprilaire fixed (maybe).

A crawlspace one is more long than a house one which is more upright.

So while I feel Aprilaire makes probably the best crawlspace dehumidifier it's expensive at $1300.

Alorair has one on Amazon for about half the cost. So considering.

There are different manufacturer names in crawlspace dehumidifiers than house ones.

Do you have any ducting in your crawl already? Most of the recent information I've read says you should HVAC the crawl just like living space, and exterior vents should be covered and sealed. If ducting is there, and your system can handle the additional cubic footage, I'd simply add some vents in the crawl. This will save you having to run a drain for the conveyor, and save you the significant cost. Just a thought.

Do you have any ducting in your crawl already? Most of the recent information I've read says you should HVAC the crawl just like living space, and exterior vents should be covered and sealed. If ducting is there, and your system can handle the additional cubic footage, I'd simply add some vents in the crawl. This will save you having to run a drain for the conveyor, and save you the significant cost. Just a thought.
If I were to do that I would need to insulate the walls of the crawlspace. They are about 3' of cinder block. Right now there is fiberglass insulation between floor joists. Foundation vents sealed.

The other reason I would prefer to have a dedicated crawlspace dehumidifier is so the crawlspace can be brought to 40%RH regardless of whether the main HVAC is running. If the inside is 75F but 60%RH the main HVAC will not be running but I still want dehumidification in the crawlspace.

I’ve looked at Aprilaire and Santa Fe whole home dehumidifiers but haven’t pulled the trigger. If you get the cheaper one of Amazon I’m interested in your thoughts.

Which size Aprilaire did you have?

I’ve looked at Aprilaire and Santa Fe whole home dehumidifiers but haven’t pulled the trigger. If you get the cheaper one of Amazon I’m interested in your thoughts.

Which size Aprilaire did you have?
I have a 1830 which in current model number is E080 or 80 pints a day.

I was reading some reviews and picked up the 5 year Aprilaire warranty is only valid if installed by a HVAC professional. My install consists of carrying the 60 lb dehumidifier into the middle of the crawlspace (the most difficult part), running the drain hose and plug it in.

That might push push me to Sante Fe.

Not cheap but cheaper if you install and not that hard. I have been using these in two homes for 13 years without issue and at about $2 a month in electric cost.
In a very big home it solved all the issues a standard dehumidifier wouldn't and my electric bill for that thing was about $70 a month. It ran non stop and couldn't resolve the issues. They have several versions. Mine is shown below for a basement...east coast.

Not cheap but cheaper if you install and not that hard. I have been using these in two homes for 13 years without issue and at about $2 a month in electric cost.
In a very big home it solved all the issues a standard dehumidifier wouldn't and my electric bill for that thing was about $70 a month. It ran non stop and couldn't resolve the issues. They have several versions. Mine is shown below for a basement...east coast.

Does this actually remove humidity? I could see this being beneficial if so. Otherwise I think I’d just get a damper or something to let fresh air in/stale air out.

Does this actually remove humidity? I could see this being beneficial if so. Otherwise I think I’d just get a damper or something to let fresh air in/stale air out.
Yes it does and odors. It hooks to an outdoor 8 inch vent and it solved many mold and mildew issues in a foreclosure I bought.
In a few weeks it fixed buckled hardwood floors etc. It has a built in humidistat. It has a 10 year warranty as well but I am at over 13 years with never an issue.
Plus here in the east it does not load up your sump or wear out a pump as the humid air is just sent outside.
It can be had installed for far cheaper if you call in instead.

I used a similar type to dry green walnut lumber like a kiln in a garage and it was very effective and inexpensive to operate.

Yes it does and odors. It hooks to an outdoor 8 inch vent and it solved many mold and mildew issues in a foreclosure I bought.
In a few weeks it fixed buckled hardwood floors etc. It has a built in humidistat. It has a 10 year warranty as well but I am at over 13 years with never an issue.
Plus here in the east it does not load up your sump or wear out a pump as the humid air is just sent outside.
It can be had installed for far cheaper if you call in instead.

I used a similar type to dry green walnut lumber like a kiln in a garage and it was very effective and inexpensive to operate.

I’m liking this as an option for fresh air and dehumidification. Does it need an intake somewhere? My house is fairly new (2014) and decently tight. I’d be worried about sucking the exhaust from the water heaters into the house.

I’m liking this as an option for fresh air and dehumidification. Does it need an intake somewhere? My house is fairly new (2014) and decently tight. I’d be worried about sucking the exhaust from the water heaters into the house.
The intake is at the bottom of the unit...the slotted face... And it runs up the wall and exits through a hole in the wall out to essentially a big 8" louvered dryer vent.
Tomorrow I will look in my garage as that was another brand and near 15 years plus.
Need to get the name and model.

It is a bit slimmer.. that was the wood drying unit but it was made for house use. I just repurposed it.

If it's exhausting air to the outside from the basement floor or crawlspace bottom then outside air will be pulled into your house (that will be the RH of the outside air) and will maybe be cooled and dehumidified by your HVAC, some pulled into your basement or crawlspace to be exhausted.

Back