Costco upgrades Top Tier Fuel

In Phoenix, price at my Costco is usually same or up to ten cents cheaper than my cheapest nearby option. If you have Costco Citicard you get four percent back on Costco gas with the Executive membership and only one percent for non-Costco gas.
Actually you get 4% on all gas purchases, with the exception of grocery stores, superstores and competitive price clubs. Also convenience stores like 7/11?

• 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and EV charging purchases and then 1% thereafter
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4% for gas and EV charging purchases made at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purchases

It's $2 less a gallon here.
In the STL I paid $3.189/gallon at Costco for fuel.

It's not all that convenient for me, but oilBabe works near one in SoCo, so we have both Costco and Sam's Club memberships.

Neither of our vehicles seem particularly needy in terms of fuel. We get it when we can and it makes sense.

I am more often near the Sam's Club in Brentwood. My 2012 Mazda keeps on regardless what I put in the tank.

Actually you get 4% on all gas purchases, with the exception of grocery stores, superstores and competitive price clubs. Also convenience stores like 7/11?

• 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and EV charging purchases and then 1% thereafter
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4% for gas and EV charging purchases made at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purchases
Again the reason I never use it is the 5% PenFed gas, cash, no redemption automatically subtracted every month.

The downside of costco citi is 1). 4%—the other 1% matters. 2). Technically the reward is awarded 1x per year. Another policy change, not cash, used towards a purchase. How many accept that and now say their $300 certificate didn’t earn 2% towards a purchase? The trick is to buy Hawaiian bread at $6.79, and then $300 - $6.79 paid cash.

My understanding is if you’re no longer a costco member when the cert is awarded, you don’t get it.

Fair is fair. Terms should be called out when they are clearly in the favor of the house. And I’m a Costco fanboy.

I have BAC Visa that is also 2% warehouse clubs. I’m always after the 5% which is hard to achieve without rotating categories. PenFed took care of it. Even works overseas and no foreign transaction fees.

In the STL I paid $3.189/gallon at Costco for fuel.

It's not all that convenient for me, but oilBabe works near one in SoCo, so we have both Costco and Sam's Club memberships.

Neither of our vehicles seem particularly needy in terms of fuel. We get it when we can and it makes sense.

I am more often near the Sam's Club in Brentwood. My 2012 Mazda keeps on regardless what I put in the tank.
Mazda's of that era are good vehicles. It is a shame Ford gave away such a good engineering asset.

The Costco and Sam's Club are close in Independence MO, so always below market by at least 25¢. Last tank was $2.979 for 87 octane when QuickTrip and Phillips (same gas) were $3.299

Again the reason I never use it is the 5% PenFed gas, cash, no redemption automatically subtracted every month.

The downside of costco citi is 1). 4%—the other 1% matters. 2). Technically the reward is awarded 1x per year. Another policy change, not cash, used towards a purchase. How many accept that and now say their $300 certificate didn’t earn 2% towards a purchase? The trick is to buy Hawaiian bread at $6.79, and then $300 - $6.79 paid cash.

My understanding is if you’re no longer a costco member when the cert is awarded, you don’t get it.

Fair is fair. Terms should be called out when they are clearly in the favor of the house. And I’m a Costco fanboy.

I have BAC Visa that is also 2% warehouse clubs. I’m always after the 5% which is hard to achieve without rotating categories. PenFed took care of it. Even works overseas and no foreign transaction fees.
You can obtain cash at the customer service desk. I got over $1100 this year. The terms are clearly called out, I easily found them online, and they are sent annually with the card renewal.
I get the same rebates on overseas purchases as well and no foreign transaction fees.

You are thinking of the Executive membership rebate. The Citicard rebate can be cashed.

You are thinking of the Executive membership rebate. The Citicard rebate can be cashed.
they told me no, but buy an inexpensive item and get cash as change. if you have done it then the store is wrong. I don’t like to argue when there are huge lines…years ago, yes go to courtesy desk and cash out. Now get in line…

Me too. About all I have to show is the savings. But if we were to go back to 2007 and the car forum, people told me filling up at Costco? I don't deserve to drive a BMW. Amazing how at any given point in time, there are those who know everything, and are condescending when it comes to our habits, and how they compare to their own. Even today! Even here! :)
IIRC Costco wasn't TT back then. Lots of BMW owners had problems with Costco and Sams Club back then.

You can obtain cash at the customer service desk. I got over $1100 this year. The terms are clearly called out, I easily found them online, and they are sent annually with the card renewal.
I get the same rebates on overseas purchases as well and no foreign transaction fees.
Here they are, they say store has discretion which would explain. I remember getting a check once hand signed at the store.

It also spells out cxl membership, forfeit rewards. That is imho unbecoming of Costco. With. 92% retention it wouldn’t happen to many

yeah, with their egos
I'm speaking about dealerships who were telling customers not to use their gas. Back then there was also a bit of an issue with excessive amounts of ethanol in the gas. Dealerships had a quick test kit and was frequently used during the fiasco revolving around N54 HPFP's.

I'm speaking about dealerships who were telling customers not to use their gas. Back then there was also a bit of an issue with excessive amounts of ethanol in the gas. Dealerships had a quick test kit and was frequently used during the fiasco revolving around N54 HPFP's.
That happens to power my car. I recall an elite group of owners used a mythical debunked Shell V Power. Laughable to get into whether one “deserves “ the vehicle they paid for 😂

Here they are, they say store has discretion which would explain. I remember getting a check once hand signed at the store.

It also spells out cxl membership, forfeit rewards. That is imho unbecoming of Costco. With. 92% retention it wouldn’t happen to many

I believe they have the check option due to not having enough available cash in their till. I have had them mention that possibility, but have always been able to get cash each year. Due to over $1000 cash back, someone had to walk back to the office to get a bundle of 100s. I've had a Costco credit card (Amex or now VISA) for over 20 years.

Last edited:
IIRC Costco wasn't TT back then. Lots of BMW owners had problems with Costco and Sams Club back then.
Must have been a looong time ago. Our local BMWCCA chapter had our own forum for members (in Seattle area) and one member was the head buyer for Costco automotive dept nationwide. He offered a lot of info about Costco automotive products and helped us out on stuff. For example, all Costco tire depts have a torque testing machine and he used to offer free testing (no calibration though) service to anyone that asked. Just had to PM him and he would ask which store was closet to you and he would call and tell the tire manager to accommodate you. Costco has the torque testing machines as they test and log every torque wrench in their inventory on a monthly basis.

We also asked why (at that time) Costco was not Top Tier to meet BMWs recommendations and he said Costco did meet Top Tier standards, but due to the cost for licensing and marketing, they chose not to sign on to the program (he claimed they were significant). They felt that passing on those costs was not as beneficial to the customer as being able to market the Top Tier standards. Obviously they changed and realized customers are demanding it. I've used Costco gas off and on for 20+ years and never had an issue with any of my cars, including my 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport with 363,000 miles.

Last edited:
I'm a Costco gas enthusiast...good news for more of a DI-focused add pack. Run my cars off of it almost exclusively due to the price of premium being at times a dollar less than most other stations in our area. My tuned VW has been run on it on track with of course...no drama. Bonus slice of pizza/Pepsi for less than $3. All the credit car stuff in this post, no clue, don't use their car/care about points/cash back games.

Back