7-eleven diesel fuel sourced on west coast?

I’m in N. California. It is getting increasingly difficult to find petroleum diesel #2 as most big vendors are selling bio fuel or bio blends which I avoid. The exceptions are Mobil, 7-eleven, Sinclair, Shell and Indy fuel stations.

Occasionally 7-eleven has fantastic pricing, better than the competition. It’s usually $0.50-1.00 per gallon cheaper. I always use a fuel additive so paying extra for top tier fuel like Costco B5 or Mobil Synergy D2 is pointless IMO.

Where does 7-eleven source its fuel from in Northern California?

Last edited:
Costco diesel fuel as well as their gasoline burns as well as any for generally a better price. No additives needed.

Costco diesel fuel as well as their gasoline burns as well as any for generally a better price. No additives needed.

Yesterday Costco B5 was $0.50/gallon higher than 7-eleven. It also has biodiesel which I don’t want.

Additive cost @ 400:1 is $0.10/gallon. Its far cheaper and has better results.

Nearest refineries are where? Bay area? Doubt they would truck from any farther than needed or transport in a pipeline from farther away if there is a pipeline nearby.

What's wrong with biodiesel? It's a little bit better lubricant for the injection pump, and it burns the same in my experience.

Like all biofuels the QC is inconsistent. It also has lower BTUs/gal has 2x ash as regular diesel.

What’s with all these members telling me to buy fuel that is $0.50-1.00 more expensive and has lower fuel economy. I ain’t looking for advice.

Might be the wrong form of transportation for your area if it’s that hard to find suitable fuel.

Might be the wrong form of transportation for your area if it’s that hard to find suitable fuel.

California has subsidized LCFS fuels so it is profitable for vendors to peddle biofuels instead of petro diesel.

I have 3 diesel vehicles, that’s not changing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224-191046.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224-191046.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 43
Usually your local gas station will get their fuel from the same distribution center as all the other local gas stations. The primary difference is the add pack. The base fuel itself is stored at the distribution center, the trucks pull in, fill, dump the add pack in and there off.

Rare exceptions are possible where your equidistant between 2 distribution points. I live near one of those - we have a nearby DC fed by pipeline, but also a Kinder Morgan DC in the port that comes in by ship. I think the ship one might only be diesel. I have tried to find out but such things aren't published really.

So even if I knew where the local 7-eleven sourced there diesel from, it might be completely different from where you are, but likely isn't that much different from other stations in the area.

Having said all that - I have no clue how bio diesel works, so it might be totally different.

Just going by what the fuel supplier told me.

Well you shouldn’t listen to heresy from fuel suppliers. B100 is illegal because it has higher emissions than renewable or petro diesel.

This is the language for the R99 mandate for off road fleet vehicles.

Usually your local gas station will get their fuel from the same distribution center as all the other local gas stations. The primary difference is the add pack. The base fuel itself is stored at the distribution center, the trucks pull in, fill, dump the add pack in and there off.

Rare exceptions are possible where your equidistant between 2 distribution points. I live near one of those - we have a nearby DC fed by pipeline, but also a Kinder Morgan DC in the port that comes in by ship. I think the ship one might only be diesel. I have tried to find out but such things aren't published really.

So even if I knew where the local 7-eleven sourced there diesel from, it might be completely different from where you are, but likely isn't that much different from other stations in the area.

Having said all that - I have no clue how bio diesel works, so it might be totally different.

If that is the case, someone is blending in bio or renewable at some other location which seems unlikely. The biofuel blends must come from a dedicated supplier(s) and petro diesel from others.

7-eleven diesel is so cheap it’s hard to believe they can beat Costco by such a large margin. It runs fine and gets similar MPGs, nonetheless would like to know who makes it or if the crude comes from Russia, ISIS, China or other dubious source.

If that is the case, someone is blending in bio or renewable at some other location which seems unlikely. The biofuel blends must come from a dedicated supplier(s) and petro diesel from others.

7-eleven diesel is so cheap it’s hard to believe they can beat Costco by such a large margin. It runs fine and gets similar MPGs, nonetheless would like to know who makes it or if the crude comes from Russia, ISIS, China or other dubious source.
There is only 129 refineries in the entire united states. But trucks don't go fill at the refinery anyway - the refinery ships their finished product to a distribution center. Option B is it gets shipped in as a finished product. On the west coast that would likely mean Canada. I don't know if there shipping refined product to the West coast from elsewhere - there are a couple big refining countries in Asia - India and South Korea come to mind. Maybe they ship it that far??

The US has some of the strictest fuel quality laws in the world. Refined product is going to be very high quality no matter where it comes from. The only difference between brands is going to be the add packs and age.

I presume the biodiesel comes into the same distribution centers from somewhere, but that is a guess.

There is only 129 refineries in the entire united states. But trucks don't go fill at the refinery anyway - the refinery ships their finished product to a distribution center. Option B is it gets shipped in as a finished product. On the west coast that would likely mean Canada. I don't know if there shipping refined product to the West coast from elsewhere - there are a couple big refining countries in Asia - India and South Korea come to mind. Maybe they ship it that far??

The US has some of the strictest fuel quality laws in the world. Refined product is going to be very high quality no matter where it comes from. The only difference between brands is going to be the add packs and age.

I presume the biodiesel comes into the same distribution centers from somewhere, but that is a guess.

Maybe, but California also has its own diesel fuel standard which is different from the federal minimums. Our petro diesel has lower aromatics and cetane of > 53. Typically 53-56 CN.

So it’s a special product. Either refined here or made for our market elsewhere as a specialty for importation to meet our standards.

The renewable diesel is made here in the Bay Area. I have no idea where the biodiesel comes from.

Back