Cooper opinions and interesting NHTSA stats

I had a set of Cooper RS3 A/S that came with the focus from the factory. Although factory tires are generally iffy, I found that these performed surprisingly admirably in all weather conditions. They were my first and only set of Coopers; I'd buy another set but the prices of them were usually around the price of other sets that I wanted to try out more.

Some brands are consistent quality across the product line - BFG and Michelin are all premium tires, Mastercraft is all decent budget tires. Other brands, like Goodyear, have a wide variation - there was no better off-road tire than a Goodyear MTR and not much worse than a Wrangler ST.

Cooper seems to range from decent to premium, lot of variation in their product line.

I've had 3 sets of CS5 on 2 vehicles (2 Grand Touring, 1 Ultra Touring). Good tires especially for the price. But like others metioned, they were noisier than advertised esp after you wore off some tread and they wore quicker than expected. One of the vehicles was a minivan so I expected quicker wear.

In my experience, good tires but definitely a tier or two below the top manufacturers. I would buy again as long as the price is right.

several sets of various styles, good tyre for the money!! last set CS5 for girlfriends optima + thanks to tire rack i got the rebate as it was only dooable on a techy phone + i am NOT techy!!

Last edited:
I like my Falkens. Have AT on my Ram 1500 and also a different model on my wife;s Mazda 5. No problems at all. Had Cooper AT;s on my Ram when I bought it used. Had to get my son to tow me out of the short grass in daughters yard. Now with the Falkens I have backed into a flooded mud hole to get a wood stove. Did not slip a tire.

I have OE Michelins on now (2020 Tundra). They'be been a good tire, but I need something with just a tad bit more all terrain capability and they don't really make quite what I'm looking for. Even though I don't rock crawl and drive very conservatively, the Michelins have gotten pretty cut up and and are down to the wear bars at just shy of 50K. I do about 35-45% of low to no maintenance roads; the rest of the time I'm on the highway getting to those roads. I'm looking at several brands, but Cooper has a new Discovere Road and Trail AT that intrigued me. I am leaning away from the Cooper for just the reasons I stated already and I'm seeing a lot of confirmation here. Considering some offerings from Hankook, Sumitomo, and a Vredestein that have what I'm looking for in load ratings and types of compounds. Thanks for all the replies.
We had the CS5 and they were OK but not stellar.

Now we have the AT3/4S on our jeep, and they are very good on the street and off road and in snow… If you are considering going with Cooper then you may want to check these out. I think it is one model of tire that Goodyear has left alone. So far.

Now we have the AT3/4S on our jeep, and they are very good on the street and off road and in snow… If you are considering going with Cooper then you may want to check these out. I think it is one model of tire that Goodyear has left alone. So far.
Just an update to my original post, I ended up buying Falken Rubitrek AT. Have about 5k on them now and they have been very good. Still early in their life to know how good for sure. Pretty comparable to their Wildpeak AT3, but was less expensive.

Best all around tire except they only lasted 28000 miles. Rotated every 5000 miles and air pressure was meticulously maintained.

That AT3 is hard to beat. It was top rated when new across so much of the competition. While other brands may have caught up or improved in specific areas, the AT3 still seems to be a very solid AT.

I owned a house-brand cooper, the “RTX,” and they also seemed to fit the mold of a good foundation of “tried and true” and were an excellent all around truck tire. They were heavily made, thick, heavy rubber tires. Never had issues with them. They did start developing some cupping at half way through their treadlife, about when I sold the vehicle. rain traction was easily above average in a 2wd truck. i also towed heavy and ran the pressures up when I did, and they didn’t miss a beat and handled the weight very well, no sway or drama. I think cooper makes a good truck tire.

Back