Cooper Cobra v. BFG Radial T/A

My Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are hardly worn but they are 12 and 13 years old. 235/60-15 in front, 255/60-15 in the rear. They look new, no dry rot, no damage, etc. It’s a great looking tire IMHO. I run the black side out. There are few choices but these are the only brands I’m interested in. Coopers are cheaper, they have a T speed rating, like it matters, and I like the artwork better on the black side, that matters. The T/A’s are a little plain. I’m leaning toward the Coopers. What do you think? Should I even be concerned about the tires I have now?

Cooper is probably better than BFG for those kinds of tires.

However, the Hankook Kinergy ST is MUCH better than either, actually being a modern tire.

Cooper is probably better than BFG for those kinds of tires.

However, the Hankook Kinergy ST is MUCH better than either, actually being a modern tire.
I knew someone would bring that up. I have Kinergy PT's on my Saturn and I had Hankooks on my Silverado. I thought I couldn't bring myself to putting a Korean brand on the old Poncho. I recently saw them on the rear of something that looked fast at a car show. From the pics I have seen of the RWL HANKOOK, it's a good thing I plan to run the black side. No style at all. I will consider them.

I would recommend RT43's over BFG's and BFG's over Cooper.

Bigger fish eats little fish and biggest fish eats bigger fish.

I've had my 69 GTO for 23 years. About 3-4 years ago I needed to drive it 100 something miles to my sons wedding, so I examined the tires. 2 of them were a decade old. I'd always had BFG T/A's but discovered that they were pricey. Options? Not many, but the Cooper Cobra looked promising and had good reviews......BUT....I sure did like the BFG's lettering. After considering possibly the Cooper's but with the blackwall side out, I bit the bullet and had the Coopers installed, white letters out. I like them. If there is a down side, I haven't found it yet. If wet traction is an issue, I'll never find out..........
cooper cobra.jpg

I’m
I've had my 69 GTO for 23 years. About 3-4 years ago I needed to drive it 100 something miles to my sons wedding, so I examined the tires. 2 of them were a decade old. I'd always had BFG T/A's but discovered that they were pricey. Options? Not many, but the Cooper Cobra looked promising and had good reviews......BUT....I sure did like the BFG's lettering. After considering possibly the Cooper's but with the blackwall side out, I bit the bullet and had the Coopers installed, white letters out. I like them. If there is a down side, I haven't found it yet. If wet traction is an issue, I'll never find out..........View attachment 161540
Pretty car. That was a popular color that year. That was also a 68 color as I recall. Have you seen the insurance tv ad with Shaq and Jordana Brewster (Fast & Furious). Car is a green GTO with Cooper Cobra’s. I wonder if Cooper paid to have their tires on display like that. You mentioned wet traction. I’ll never take my car out in the rain but I may have to come home in it. Thanks for your input.

Back