Considering Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked pretty closely at Amsoil's 0W30 and 5W30 SS LSPI resistant oils and they really have some outstanding performance characteristics.
The thing that keeps me shying away is the high SA levels, I definitely don't know that this would be an issue but it still concerns me in my turbo application. I know that Amsoil says they pass the new dexos1 Gen 2 deposit test (as well as the one for LSPI), but I still wonder if these oils are really right for me in the long run.
I don't mind paying more for a premium product, but I have this nagging concern that I might be buying myself long term deposit issues as well. I have run an extra low SA oil (M1 5W30 ESP) as well as plenty of mid level oils that give me a more comfortable feeling.

Think Stevie also said what this bad guy said … if you are not going to pony up for SS (OP asked about a lower product) don’t bother … and pick a good major brand

Originally Posted By: KevinP
Oil standards have increased over the years and the off-the-shelf products perform much better. Amsoil still makes a premium product so if you choose to spend a little more per year, you get a product that is made with less concern for cost. Will it make a difference in your vehicle? That is difficult to answer as you can see by the disparity of views.

But getting you what? What quantifiable benefit is there exactly?

That M1 ESP (edyvw’s winter oil) you mentioned seems like the other top shelf M1 besides AP … but not the bargain 0w40 is when S.A. is not in play …

Amsoil was making "premium" oils available to auto enthusiast for decades before the quality mass market synthetics were available.

Mobil 1 came out approximately 2 years after AMSOIL's initial API oil in the 1970's. It took quite a bit longer for others to pursue that market however.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Amsoil was making "premium" oils available to auto enthusiast for decades before the quality mass market synthetics were available.

Mobil 1 came out approximately 2 years after AMSOIL's initial API oil in the 1970's. It took quite a bit longer for others to pursue that market however.

M1 produced engine oils for heavy equipment in Alsaka in the late 60s. First came out with M1 5-20 in 1973 for the market in Europe in 73 and the US in 74. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

M1 produced engine oils for heavy equipment in Alsaka in the late 60s. First came out with M1 5-20 in 1973 for the market in Europe in 73 and the US in 74. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978.

The produced synthetic lubricants for aviation even prior to that IIRC. However, he specifically said auto enthusiasts, which is why I referenced the Mobil 1 PCMO product, which came out just after AMSOIL's API offering in the early 70's.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Oil standards have increased over the years and the off-the-shelf products perform much better. Amsoil still makes a premium product so if you choose to spend a little more per year, you get a product that is made with less concern for cost. Will it make a difference in your vehicle? That is difficult to answer as you can see by the disparity of views.

But getting you what? What quantifiable benefit is there exactly?

Well, quantifiable is the thing that I really can't answer here.
SS 5W30 has very good cold performance for its grade as well as low NOACK loss (6.7%). If I want to jump down to a 0W30, the SS in that grade still has a lower NOACK loss (8.8%) than, say M1 5W30 (around 10% assuming the dexos1 Gen 2 product is the same as the previous one). Amsoil claims that these oils have passed the LSPI mitigation test from dexos1 Gen 2 and I am willing to trust them on that, and I'll never get that kind of assurance from any Euro oil.

I know that your reply would likely be how I know any of this really helps my engine!
I really don't...I feel like low NOACK loss is a good thing for an oil that is going to be circulating by a hot turbo, but I can't prove that a 2% or whatever lower NOACK loss is going to make a difference over the maybe 200,000 miles max that I am going to keep my car. I also admit that my nitpicky concerns about cold performance are of little concern to most people and reflect my desire for crisp starts around dawn after parking my car outside overnight in the mountains midwinter...they would be meaningless if I just stayed at my house during the winter.
Paying attention to these things makes me feel good, I don't know if they really help my car at all!

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'm considering buying enough Amsoil XL 5W-30 to service my dad's '16 Silverado and his fiancée's '14 Impala next spring. I also like the specs on the Premium Protection 10W-40, but I can't justify the cost on it. I'll just stick with Havoline 10W-40 for the Roadmaster. Opinions?

All of the major brands synthetic oil are excellent oils and will work great for what you want to do for those vehicles: Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, etc. Don't misunderstand, AMSOIL is a great oil too, perhaps technically superior to the major brands. But how far do you want to go with "better oil"?
Bottom line, you're right about not justifying the cost. For what you are doing to these specific vehicles (Chevy pickup and Chevy sedan), AMSOIL is just not worth that much money when other brands are far cheaper and still offer premium quality. My $0.02
The most important part of vehicle maintenance (not just oil changes) is doing everything at the proper interval using the correct parts/materials.

Last edited:
I used to use Amsoil, about 20 years ago. In my cars the volatility didnt seem to be as low as advertised. I found the PCV system would be clogged. I switched to Mobil-1 and have never looked back. You can't beat the price from Walmart. Everything I own has Mobil 1.

It isn't like the old days there are lots of good full synthetics these days. When Amsoil beats the Walmart Rollback price they'll have a sale.

Last edited:
Pennzoil for me!
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: joepinehill
I used to use Amsoil, about 20 years ago. In my cars the volatility didnt seem to be as low as advertised. I found the PCV system would be clogged. I switched to Mobil-1 and have never looked back. You can't beat the price from Walmart. Everything I own has Mobil 1.

I switched to M1 40 years ago and have never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back