Considering Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8
What do you expect to gain from buying Amsoil that costs twice as much as the non boutique equivelent? Will you see any of the Amsoils benefits? I am not knocking Amsoilas it is great oil but for every vehicle that has great results there are ten times more vehicles getting the same results with off the shelf oils.

Watch out with that kind of post, you'll get yelled at by certain members for such views.
That is fine.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Watch out with that kind of post, you'll get yelled at by certain members for such views.
That is fine.

You think so, but wait until the goofy emoji are posted. You'll be sorry then.

Certainly Amsoil is very good oil. Looking at the 'fleet' results in https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php , we see that Amsoil is lowest in iron wear per mile in Subaru and GM V8 engines, winning by about 25% or so better than regular Mobil1 by comparison. However, in a certain type of VW diesel engine in particular, Mobil1 was winning by a pretty good margin over Amsoil.

Based on the Blackstone results, Amsoil gasoline engine oils are likely the best way to minimize Fe wear. That is substantial.
Yet I still want Amsoil to actually certify to dexos1, just to be sure.

Last edited:
And my BIL went 400k in his Chevy 1500 on Mobil Super bulk oil and cheap filters (quick lube basic change)

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Certainly Amsoil is very good oil. Looking at the 'fleet' results in https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php , we see that Amsoil is lowest in iron wear per mile in Subaru and GM V8 engines, winning by about 25% or so better than regular Mobil1 by comparison. However, in a certain type of VW diesel engine in particular, Mobil1 was winning by a pretty good margin over Amsoil.

Based on the Blackstone results, Amsoil gasoline engine oils are likely the best way to minimize Fe wear. That is substantial.
Yet I still want Amsoil to actually certify to dexos1, just to be sure.

Quote:
Amsoil has much lower iron on a per-mile basis, but the average Amsoil oil change interval is close to 10,000 miles, quite a bit longer than most of the other oil types shown here. Amsoil did have the most copper (about 50% higher than average – we’ve highlighted that reading in Figure 4 above), and that doesn’t typically track with oil use, so even with the lower iron, we can’t say it was better overall than the others.

We can see the same pattern with Amsoil in the Cummins 6.7L ISB from the Dodge Ram (Fig. 6 & 7). Amsoil has the lowest iron wear- rate, but the highest copper reading overall.

Again, it looks like the low iron wear rate coincides with the long oil change intervals compared to the other types of oil.

I read that to say that the differences are not substantial nor significant. Their point is that it was related to the interval not the oil.

As an Amsoil user myself with an excellent track record and the UOA's to prove it I would tell you that you can have other top quality oils that will perform as well as the XL series. I still don't get this series when the competitors are often less expensive and offer the same performance.

Now if you want to go Signature series, it's a darn fine oil and handles extended OCI's with ease.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As an Amsoil user myself with an excellent track record and the UOA's to prove it I would tell you that you can have other top quality oils that will perform as well as the XL series. I still don't get this series when the competitors are often less expensive and offer the same performance.

Now if you want to go Signature series, it's a darn fine oil and handles extended OCI's with ease.

cheers3.gif

Problem is UOAs are not reliable in determining how much wear actually takes place in an engine. That's why I don't do UOAs. Now for oil contamination(fuel, dirt, and coolant), that's different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wow … that’s some spin there … (read the link)
If you are not running Amsoil SS or another of their top shelf products … why bother with the cost, lack of OEM license, and I’ll never find it half price at year end …

+1

Over the counter Synthetics these days are so good that honestly I am surprised Amsoil is still in business.

Jeff

Because people are gullible and fall for sales pitches and advertisements. I'm not dissing Amsoil, but, their whole advertising campaign is really annoying and pushy. That's what turns me off their products more than anything. Surely it's great oil, but, I won't be using it anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
If you are not running Amsoil SS or another of their top shelf products … why bother with the cost, lack of OEM license, and I’ll never find it half price at year end …

+1

Over the counter Synthetics these days are so good that honestly I am surprised Amsoil is still in business.

Jeff

Because people are gullible and fall for sales pitches and advertisements. I'm not dissing Amsoil, but, their whole advertising campaign is really annoying and pushy. That's what turns me off their products more than anything. Surely it's great oil, but, I won't be using it anytime soon.

Bingo!

I laugh when I see Yamalube 4 stroke oil at $21 bucks a quart and how many people think, because it has Yamaha written on the bottle, it must be superior oil.
Those that know, know it's Citgo oil and can be purchased for about a 1/3 of the cost.

I ran Amsoil years ago in 87 Chev 305. I couldn't go a 1000 km's without adding a half litre. My bud sold it so I tried to support him but I eventually told him I could no longer afford to purchase it from him.
Back then, I switched Mobil-1 and my consumption issues stopped dead.

I am a firm Pennzoil believer now as I have far too many UOA's that show it to be a better oil than Mobil-1. Not looking for an argument, they are just my observations and my personal decision.

Use what you like, but I like getting value for my dollar where I can.
cheers3.gif

I thought straight 30 was the way to go?

What do you expect to gain from buying Amsoil that costs twice as much as the non botique equivelent? Will you see any of the Amsoils benefits? I am not knocking Amsoilas it is great oil but for every vehicle that has great results there are ten times more vehicles getting the same results with off the shelf oils.
Easy there partner, I said the same thing last week and Pablo jumped down my throat for insulting him.

Originally Posted By: tig1

cheers3.gif

Problem is UOAs are not reliable in determining how much wear actually takes place in an engine. That's why I don't do UOAs. Now for oil contamination(fuel, dirt, and coolant), that's different.

To our eyes... To Terry's eyes I beg to differ and that's why I pay for his analysis.

What do you expect to gain from buying Amsoil that costs twice as much as the non botique equivelent? Will you see any of the Amsoils benefits? I am not knocking Amsoilas it is great oil but for every vehicle that has great results there are ten times more vehicles getting the same results with off the shelf oils.

Show me an off the shelf with numbers this good. Go ahead I will wait here while you look through UOA's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: jongies3

+1

Jeff

Bingo!

I laugh when I see Yamalube 4 stroke oil at $21 bucks a quart and how many people think, because it has Yamaha written on the bottle, it must be superior oil.
Those that know, know it's Citgo oil and can be purchased for about a 1/3 of the cost.

I ran Amsoil years ago in 87 Chev 305. I couldn't go a 1000 km's without adding a half litre. My bud sold it so I tried to support him but I eventually told him I could no longer afford to purchase it from him.
Back then, I switched Mobil-1 and my consumption issues stopped dead.

I am a firm Pennzoil believer now as I have far too many UOA's that show it to be a better oil than Mobil-1. Not looking for an argument, they are just my observations and my personal decision.

Use what you like, but I like getting value for my dollar where I can.
cheers3.gif

87' Chev - First Problem (1987)
Years ago - Second Problem

You can't judge them based on years ago technology and with an 87 vintage vehicle which most engines used some oil then and some more than others. This is just ridiculous.

I have run it out to 13,000km in my current engine with 0 make-up oil. In my Santa Fe with 300K miles it used 0.

Last edited:

Show me an off the shelf with numbers this good. Go ahead I will wait here while you look through UOA's

This was just posted earlier today. Is this thread going to be another gusher? Looks that way.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4602517/'08_Highlander_5,000_OCI,_M1_1#Post4602517

No... Just hate the non-sense spewed here about Amsoil is all because it's not marketed at Walmart sort of thing.

Thanks for the UOA link, hadn't read that yet.
grin2.gif

It's still not 0's like mine and I have almost 1,000 miles more in sample two of mine. So very close but not identical. It can be argued that it doesn't matter when you are talking PPM but I'm making an "Absolute" point.

Also it's Blackstone so it's not the most accurate of results as it could be so for all we know it is identical or it is higher than they report. I'll be biased in this situation and say it's likely higher than they report because of the testing I did with sending an identical oil sample to them, Oil analyzers, wear check. All read the same within 1ppm except Blackstone which showed lower. Even the TBN/TAN was off.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
This was just posted earlier today. Is this thread going to be another gusher? Looks that way.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4602517/'08_Highlander_5,000_OCI,_M1_1#Post4602517

And what makes that even more interesting is that it was obtained with an OEM Toyota filter. Who would have thought.

Either using UOA results to prove "wear" aren't as significant as some people think they are, or the choice of oil filters doesn't have as a dramatic effect on those results as is thought.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'm considering buying enough Amsoil XL 5W-30 to service my dad's '16 Silverado and his fiancée's '14 Impala next spring. I also like the specs on the Premium Protection 10W-40, but I can't justify the cost on it. I'll just stick with Havoline 10W-40 for the Roadmaster. Opinions?

You should just be aware than some folks here jump into Amsoil threads with the specific intent of talking others out of using Amsoil. They say they do it with all "boutique" oils, and maybe they do. The odd part is, they don't always use facts, and they claim things that are just not so. Example in this thread: GM simply cannot deny or pull your warranty coverage for using Amsoil motor oils. If they even try, Amsoil lawyers will be all over them. Not that it would get to that point = I've been with Amsoil 18 years now, never one warranty issue with any lubricant.

Anyway if you are interesting in getting Amsoil, PM me for the low PC prices. No pressure, no rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back