Considering Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t hesitate using Amsoil. They are a quality company with outstanding products. I see people bashing them like they bash Michelin. Two of the premier manufacturers of super quality products that just seem to bring out the “haters”. LOL.

I’ve used Amsoil products for 35 years. I like dealing with the local dealer. If we hadn’t become friends, I’d buy from Pablo.

My brother buys the cheapest oil with SN rating for his cars. He buys whatever filters that are on sale. Every month it’s someting different. He thinks I’m stupid for using Amsoil. I just think he’s ignorant. BIG difference....

Do his cars run fine? Absolutely. I think the odometer mileage on my cars is outstanding. I’m going for 500k. I don’t “care” what an UOA says. I don’t care so much about price. Good golly. What if I spend $100 more a year on Oil? God forbid! I may have to cancel next summer’s vacation. No more $5 mocha coffees. I’ll have to buy less guns and more cheap ammo. Maybe I’ll have to sell my boat. No, I’ll just eat out less and start packing my lunch. Better yet, I’ll start fasting a couple days a week.

Everybody throws out price when someone mentions Amsoil but I have urinated more wasted money than I’ll EVER spend on oil changes. You know, I’ve never had a really tender grilled round steak. A filet just tastes so much better.

If you feel you want to use Amsoil, that’s exactly what I would do! You can probably afford it
grin.gif

Bashing and hater? The OP asked for opinions … your opinion of Amsoil is just as biased as Tig1 on M1 … fine and good. But people have posted very objective things about both of these companies … and some are indisputably correct …

Pablo (the ultimate in Amsoil bias) can “jump in” with comments about lawyers all day long … but I’m putting Dexos license holder oils in my new GM regardless of how good I know SS is … and IMO … the rest of the line up is there to ride the coattails of SS

4wd, I got your opinion. I understand it. Just as valid as mine. Dexos is important to you. Dexos is a fine guideline to use.

So what’s your advice for the OP?

You need a hug?
grin.gif

Please excuse me. I gotta go tinkle and at 60+ years it takes a little longer than it used to take. Can I get a witness?

I’d tell the OP to be more succinct … there are thoughts running together on three vehicles and I’m not even sure if the recommended grades of oil are in play ...

Thanks for a decent reply = will consider that the hug
cheers3.gif

Bingo!

I laugh when I see Yamalube 4 stroke oil at $21 bucks a quart and how many people think, because it has Yamaha written on the bottle, it must be superior oil.
Those that know, know it's Citgo oil and can be purchased for about a 1/3 of the cost.

I ran Amsoil years ago in 87 Chev 305. I couldn't go a 1000 km's without adding a half litre. My bud sold it so I tried to support him but I eventually told him I could no longer afford to purchase it from him.
Back then, I switched Mobil-1 and my consumption issues stopped dead.

I am a firm Pennzoil believer now as I have far too many UOA's that show it to be a better oil than Mobil-1. Not looking for an argument, they are just my observations and my personal decision.

Use what you like, but I like getting value for my dollar where I can.
cheers3.gif
[/quote]

87' Chev - First Problem (1987)
Years ago - Second Problem

You can't judge them based on years ago technology and with an 87 vintage vehicle which most engines used some oil then and some more than others. This is just ridiculous.

I have run it out to 13,000km in my current engine with 0 make-up oil. In my Santa Fe with 300K miles it used 0.

[/quote]

I am not saying it isn't good oil, I am just saying, like I said about Yamalube, there are just as good, if not better oils out there(especially Yamalube) for a lot less money.

I agree with your statement about it being back in 87, things have likely changed big time since then, but to appease your disdain for me, I still use their grease and occasionally their gear oil as well.

I get those that still use it, especially those that rack up a ton of miles annually, but with me only averaging between 10-12,000 km's a year, it simply isn't worth it for me to spend that kind of money on oil.

As per your Amsoil guys comment, I am sure there are a ton of other oils out there that have also never had a oil claim placed against them.
In fact, I couldn't tell you the last time it was that I heard about an oil related engine failure?
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
The OP is going to have a very difficult time getting any real help here. One problem with this website unfortunately.

You have brand bias by all, because all have an "experience" to share. Then you have vendors "Pablo" and others that sell the products (only giving out his name since he responded to the OP post). I would not dismiss what they say right off, but if they are selling the product?? There is bias.

I have used so many oils over the years. The bottom line is, Amsoil is no better than other oils and vise versa. Its all marketing, and any "Tests" are all subjective by use and motor and we can go on and on back and forth on this for days.

I will say it again. If you go to wallyworld and lets say your car takes 5qts of oil for example. You just want to follow your car manufactures recommendations and change your oil every 5k-7500 miles. You go to wallyworld and buy M1, Castrol Edge, Valvoline, Penzoil ANY of these over the counter synthetics that can be bought for allot less than any Boutique brand oil and your engine will last literally forever. You just cant beat wallyworld for pricing on the oil. It is what it is like it or not. I hate wallyworld, but their oil is just the best pricing out there.

To say, if you use Redline, Amsoil, Motul or whatever is going to make your car last longer and give you more HP or more MPG's is all marketing hype that marketers go on for days to debate so they can sell you their product.

Bottom line? Follow the manufacturers recommendation for oil type, many dont even say to use a synthetic oil, but if you do use one, and its the spec you need and you follow the oil change interval of the manufacturers your car will last a very very long time. Who knows your engine better, than those who made it?

OP, Hope this helps you.

Jeff

Last edited:
Red91,

Amsoil makes outstanding oils and so does other big oil companies. It's the base oil and additive package. Oil is like Ford vs Chevy. Every application is different and everyone has differing opinions. Go to Amsoil's website and do a cost analysis. After which contact Pablo and get his pricing. I've done business with Pablo, yet have never met him. He has always been honest and responsive concerning Amsoil. I had a quart of Amsoil ATF that leaked. He replaced it for free. Amsoil makes top tier oil. It's not for everyone. Only you can decide what is best for your vehicles. Good hunting sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Well, at the end of the day … how many vehicles become uneconomical to repair due to engines -vs- transmission or front end completely shot …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Well, at the end of the day … how many vehicles become uneconomical to repair due to engines -vs- transmission or front end completely shot …

When was the last time you had a modern vehicle break down due to a oil related failure? mmmmmm

I like the one poster that said Amsoil is a "Top Tier" oil. That made me laugh. Good one. What constitutes it being a "Top Tier Oil" the fact it costs so much? Or that it has more of this or more of that in it that your car could really care less about?

Again, Debate on this FOR DAYS......back and forth back and forth....Gotta Love BITOG.

Jeff

2002 Dodge 1500 … had rear gear change at Shell quick lube 30k … at 60k the entire gear pack was worn out … gone…
That’s when I went back to DIY lubes …

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: StevieC
As an Amsoil user myself with an excellent track record and the UOA's to prove it I would tell you that you can have other top quality oils that will perform as well as the XL series. I still don't get this series when the competitors are often less expensive and offer the same performance.

Now if you want to go Signature series, it's a darn fine oil and handles extended OCI's with ease.

cheers3.gif

Problem is UOAs are not reliable in determining how much wear actually takes place in an engine. That's why I don't do UOAs. Now for oil contamination(fuel, dirt, and coolant), that's different.

To our eyes... To Terry's eyes I beg to differ and that's why I pay for his analysis.

To my knowledge Doug and Overk1ll has stated that tear down and is the only real way wear can be determined. Also they stated UOAs are not able to determine the quality of one oil to another. Basically cheap UOAs can't even determine synthetic from dino(I called B_S and they told me that). Again if you suspect oil contamination form dirt, fuel, or coolant, then I would do a UOA. Just sayin.

Bashing and hater? The OP asked for opinions … your opinion of Amsoil is just as biased as Tig1 on M1 … fine and good. But people have posted very objective things about both of these companies … and some are indisputably correct …

Pablo (the ultimate in Amsoil bias) can “jump in” with comments about lawyers all day long … but I’m putting Dexos license holder oils in my new GM regardless of how good I know SS is … and IMO … the rest of the line up is there to ride the coattails of SS

Two things.

1) I don't criticize other oils are the people that use them.

2) I have never said M1 oils are the best oil out there. However I have a long history of using M1 products and to date have never had a M1 lubed part fail. Engine, trans, PS pump, wheel bearing, or differential. Tomorrow, one never knows.

Last edited:

None if you use Amsoil
grin.gif

Ok … only the 2002 Dodge 1500 I mentioned with the rear end replaced (due to lubricant failure) was wholesaled in 2012 with the front end shot … not sure what Amsoil could have done …

Right you are. Pablo's statements about Amsoil's lawyers would have your back are beyond ridiculous. Amsoil has no explanation as to why they don't bother with many important test certifications like dexos1. Fairness would dictate that Amsoil be required to clearly print on their technical data sheets and marketing brochures that they don't have certifications that they discuss there. Then people wouldn't be confused about their language in there and assume they do have the certifications.

Originally Posted By: Red91
This thread has been downhill from the beginning. I'm sorry for even bringing it up.

Shouldn't blame yourself, people around here just can't help themselves. I wish there was a website ban on the word "Amsoil". Not because it's a bad product or because I dislike it, but because any time someone mentions Amsoil, good or bad, threads devolve into this kind of quibbling debate and for no real reason either except for those who like Amsoil generally swear by it, while those who don't like it generally have strong feelings against it. I said this in StevieC's most recent UOA thread and it holds true even in this thread:

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Those who like and use Amsoil will continue to do so and others will continue to say "no doubt it's a good oil" and choose other, cheaper options. I think we can avoid the debate and just go our separate ways here.

It is always the same, and no good comes from debates like these.

In every market there are premium and economy products available (except govt. controlled ones). As a consumer you can choose your priorities. Amsoil was making "premium" oils available to auto enthusiast for decades before the quality mass market synthetics were available.

Oil standards have increased over the years and the off-the-shelf products perform much better. Amsoil still makes a premium product so if you choose to spend a little more per year, you get a product that is made with less concern for cost. Will it make a difference in your vehicle? That is difficult to answer as you can see by the disparity of views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back