considering a wrx

good evening all,

I am considering a 2023 wrx or waiting for the 24 wrx tr to be released? not going to be my daily driver will be a nice weather or weekend toy.

any current owners?, open for your likes, love and hate

Go for it. Subaru's are pretty nice vehicles especially the WRX. I drove one once and it was a fun car to drive.
yeah I am looking for something that I can take the wife and kid out in for breakfast or dinner.. when alone get a little spirited on the twisty back roads, rip a few boost pulls. just for :poop:'s & :giggle:'s I was looking at the tuning market for the wrx and maybe would do a Cobb tuning kit.

Of course it was far different, but I once owned a 2007 WRX TR with a 5 speed I bought new. People always seemed interested to talk to me about the car while at the gas station. For those that don't know, TR means Tuner Ready.

2rf6nbm.jpg

yeah I am looking for something that I can take the wife and kid out in for breakfast or dinner.. when alone get a little spirited on the twisty back roads, rip a few boost pulls. just for :poop:'s & :giggle:'s I was looking at the tuning market for the wrx and maybe would do a Cobb tuning kit.

I did a Cobb stage II tune on mine. It was sucky. I bought a Perrin 3" downpipe and flashed a Perrin stage II tune and woke the car up.
The Perrin tune was much better dialed in and was flashed using the Cobb Acessport.

Subaru WRX 0-60.jpg

love it great body style!!

My wife put lots of miles on it for her job and was paid the EPA mileage rate. We sold it with 136K on it. The only issue was the clutch slave cylinder went out. The brakes warped easy on it. Subaru only used those brakes on the 06 and 07 WRX probably because of the warping issue. The turbo felt tired like the blades were warped when we sold it---from the stage II tune no doubt.

My wife put lots of miles on it for her job and was paid the EPA mileage rate. We sold it with 136K on it. The only issue was the clutch slave cylinder went out. The brakes warped easy on it. Subaru only used those brakes on the 06 and 07 WRX probably because of the warping issue. The turbo felt tired like the blades were warped when we sold it---from the stage II tune no doubt.
Sounds like you got your money out of it

I've always liked the WRX but never did pull the trigger on buying one. The idea of a sporty car that also can get around in the snow is appealing. If it were me though I'd just leave it in stock form for the sake of longevity.

Me and Al Pachino agree. I think the WRX has the nicest looking butt of any car made today. Photo's do not do its butt justice. I'm being serious.

1701570491324.jpg

good evening all,

I am considering a 2023 wrx or waiting for the 24 wrx tr to be released? not going to be my daily driver will be a nice weather or weekend toy.

any current owners?, open for your likes, love and hate

I drove it for a week, 2023 MY stick shift.

It is a nice car, but I wouldn't recommend it as a weekend toy. The FA engine is more reliable than the outgoing EJ, but the turbo lag is the worst I've ever seen in a modern turbocharged engine. I hope you are not looking to get the CVT, CVTs are not meant to be in a sporty vehicle, but Subaru is too lazy to develop an automatic other than what they use for the Crosstreks and Foresters.

Also, the car does not oversteer no matter what you do, if it is going to understeer like a FWD car, you might as well get a GTI or an Elantra N - at least they handle better and much faster than the WRX. The only advantage is that you won't have any traction issues in inclement weather.

The interior also feels very generic, yes the big screen looks nice from a distance, but I mean it does not feel special at all. It is very similar to a Crosstrek.

Yes it offers a great value proposition in its segment, but it does not do anything great either. There are better options available.

Last edited:
I drove it for a week, 2023 MY.

It is a nice car, but I wouldn't recommend it as a weekend toy. The FA engine is more reliable than the outgoing EJ, but the turbo lag is the worst I've ever seen in a modern turbocharged engine.

Also, the car does not oversteer no matter what you do, if it is going to understeer like a FWD car, you might as well get a GTI or an Elantra N - at least they handle better and much faster than the WRX. The only advantage is that you won't have any traction issues in inclement weather.

The interior also feels very generic, yes the big screen looks nice from a distance, but I mean it does not feel special at all. It is very similar to a Crosstrek.

Yes it offers a great value proposition in its segment, but it does not do anything great either. There are better options available.
Thank you for this information funny thing I did look at the elantra n earlier online, I'm just not feeling the Hyundai looks.

Back