Concealed Carry While Riding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Consider the PPS in .40 cal. Same size as many .380's, more power.

Huge compared to my G42 its all I ever carry. The 42 is 14 oz PPS is 22 oz. 4 in long vs 6" long. Can't pocket carry the pps.

Last edited:
To each their own. I'll stick with the ballistics the .40 s&w round packs.
39.gif

To each their own. I'll stick with the ballistics the .40 s&w round packs.
39.gif

As long as you can hit with it, especially follow up shots. A hit with a 32acp is better than a near miss with a 45acp.

I carry a Kahr P9 on me. Love how thin the Kahrs are. Some don't dig the trigger but I shot a ton of DA revolvers so its easy for me.

That Walther brand brings quality at a good price.
but....
40s popularity waned several years ago. Just too much recoil for most-all civilians. 9mm and .380s are what's popular now. Small and thin front pocket guns are-in. Not talking about cargo pant carries either. Just normal everyday pants, both casual and semi-dress.

Last edited:
I only ever carry it in an IWB holster always positioned how I've trained with it, right now that is a carbon fiber Clinger Atom IWB. Pocket carry is ill advised w/ any gun. We had an officer shoot his thigh on our indoor range drawing G21F (.45) from a popular brand OWB belt holster w/ forefinger retention release. We all had to buy new OWB plain clothes holsters as they standardized the duty carry for CID after that, now has to be a certain model SafariLand OWB retention job w/ thumb release. Either belt or paddle back in that particular model is permitted.

My point being if some OWB full size carry holsters can suffer from accidental discharge (albeit retention release type), reaching into one's pocket to fumble for an unsecured weapon during a defensive use scenario unfolding in real life (dare I use the term pucker factor again) well then... no. Pocket carry is ill advised for an "oh chit!" defensive gun. Not just accidental fingering the trigger but fact that the gun is never going to be in the same configuration each time it's carried (flopping around in pocket) and so there's no consistency for drawing the gun during range practice. And I know everyone who carries puts in range time with the gun in their preferred carry position, yes?

As far as muzzle snap and the Walther .40, I've qualified with it on our range. Not approved for duty backup, that's restricted to a few specific guns by Glock either .45 or 9mm (G43 is one). We can carry what we want off duty but need to qualify with it. Issued duty piece is the Glock 21F. CID can duty carry the smaller Glock 30 (personal purchase) or their issued 21F.

And I thought we were moving up when we went from 5 inch barrel nickeled .357s in cross draw holsters to 4 inch stainless .357s in strong side holsters. . . . back when service guns were steel and our duty rigs were leather.

Pocket carry is ill advised for an "oh chit!" defensive gun. Not just accidental fingering the trigger but fact that the gun is never going to be in the same configuration each time it's carried (flopping around in pocket) and so there's no consistency for drawing the gun during range practice. And I know everyone who carries puts in range time with the gun in their preferred carry position, yes?

Unsecured pocket carry..yes..that is ill advised. Nothing wrong with an inpocket holster. I have a DeSantis V5 for my g42.

The odds are very very low that you need to draw quickly. Odds highly favor you will draw it surreptitiously as a situation starts to unfolds. If you need to draw very quickly you are likely in a losing position for one reason or another. Remember your primary goal should should be to get out of Dodge or seek shelter.

I do spend time pulling the firearm out of my pocket. Its almost impossible that I would have an AD. Most of your training time should be getting the front sight on the threat even before extending your arms forward. Train 90% of your time on what is going to happen 90% of the time.

Pocket carry has its pros and cons. It works for me, and I like the fact that I can have my hand on the gun, when someone approaches, or when talking to someone, and they have no idea. Or if you are getting robbed you can just say, "alright, Im reaching into my pocket for my wallet" and out comes bam bam.

When I carry, I have my Glock 21. It's certainly not the most compact firearm out there, but I can handle and fire it accurately. I lost count of how many rounds I have through it, somewhere around 75k I'd say. No issues.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I lost count of how many rounds I have through it, somewhere around 75k I'd say.

Geeze! 75,000? That's some serious shooting. How long has that taken? Not cheap either. If you load it up and empty it twice a day for 7 and half years that'd put you at about that round count I guess.

Last edited:
When I carry, I have my Glock 21. It's certainly not the most compact firearm out there, but I can handle and fire it accurately. I lost count of how many rounds I have through it, somewhere around 75k I'd say. No issues.

Seems a bit hard to believe
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

smile.gif

Why? There have been several range rental Glocks that have over 100,000 rounds put through them. He is one that was tested to 100,000 rounds. It's not that uncommon.

"And now, the fall of 1995, after having fired a total of 100,000 rounds of virtually all kinds of ammunition... Nothing has changed!"

http://mujweb.cz/glock/html/tested.htm?redirected=1509107471

Originally Posted By: Sonic
I lost count of how many rounds I have through it, somewhere around 75k I'd say.

Geeze! 75,000? That's some serious shooting. How long has that taken? Not cheap either. If you load it up and empty it twice a day for 7 and half years that'd put you at about that round count I guess.

I bought it new in the early 90's, shortly after the G21 was introduced. I used to go to the range a lot with my best bud who was a Police Officer. May he rest in peace.

I don't go to the Range as often these days, but I do still go regularly to remain proficient.

smile.gif

Thanks for questioning my integrity..

Originally Posted By: Sonic

I bought it new in the early 90's

Oh man, I thought you may have just picked it up last week. Ha! Kidding of course. No, I figured you probably have had it 20+ years or so. Good to hear it's still running. My Glocks will never see anything like that. We should start a new thread about this type of topic. See who else chimes in with some outrageous numbers.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Why? There have been several range rental Glocks that have over 100,000 rounds put through them. He is one that was tested to 100,000 rounds. It's not that uncommon.

"And now, the fall of 1995, after having fired a total of 100,000 rounds of virtually all kinds of ammunition... Nothing has changed!"

For one person to put that many rounds on a single gun is what I was getting at. Someone must have $$$$$$$$$$
smile.gif

I shoot over 10K rounds a year andthatis a lot.

Originally Posted By: billt460

For one person to put that many rounds on a single gun is what I was getting at. Someone must have $$$$$$$$$$
smile.gif

I shoot over 10K rounds a year andthatis a lot.

So 10k rounds per year, times the approx. 24 years I've had my G21 is.. 240k rounds.

It would appear that I don't shoot as often as you. So why is 75k rounds through a pistol in approx. 24 years so unbelievable?

Sweet pistol. I have Glocks in the primary carry cals and find myself going with the “midsize” Glock 23. It has a double stack mag but is no trouble to conceal. Love the punch of the .40 and the extra capacity. Best of both worlds.

I have never owned a Glock, just don't care for them, I won't say anything bad about them though... Except for them being ugly and their owners tend to shoot themselves in the leg with them, oh and the kabooms too. lol Just playing, but seriously don't they start to need spring replacements after 20k or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back