Cold weather noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever it gets really cold, like tonight on the way home was 20F, my suspension seems noisy and clunky, and the shifter on the manual seems notchy. I assume this is normal? Just an observation as of late. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I assume this is normal? Just an observation as of late. Thanks!

It definitely is up here. You should hear the noises at -40.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

WHOA. That's cold.

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

I've experienced -35*F and can tell you the noises coming from my van were noises I've never heard before. I was almost groaning and I thought a baby van was going to come out of the tailpipe. lol Notchy shifting was an understatement. It did start, unaided which was a pleasant surprise.

Yep, at those temperatures, some of those vehicles' suspensions sound like little red wagons or grocery carts. Years back, my old LTD used to always be outside, no matter how cold. In the coldest weather, it always sounded like the balljoints were going to give up the ghost.

My new Golf is a pretty quiet car, but when I cold start it at 25 degrees and get going for the first few miles I hear a few noises that don't come up in the warmer months. Just turn the radio up a little.
smile.gif

I would say yes...it's normal.

Vehicle sits in cold temps and then all the "parts" that make up the vehicle contract in size thus...increasing the clearances in between the assembled parts.

Once it warms up...parts expand then it quietens down.

It was 8F earlier this week and my M-B which sits outside has the suspension squeaks and groans. Even the tires seem to flat spot until they are driven for a mile or two. When the outside air heats up to 20F, the sounds are almost gone.

Last edited:
+20F is "cold"?!?!

Driving home form work last night at -8F my ZHP shocks felt like solid iron tubes. I'm amazed my bmw even started, since now I know how unreliable it is thanks to the info in that other thread!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
sway bar bushes seem to be the most succeptible.

In my 2002 F-150 the rear anti sway bar clunks/sqeaks going over speed bumps in freezing temps only. The rear leaf springs also seem to groan somewhat in freezing temps. I hate winter because my bones snap crackle and pop also
frown.gif

Whimsey

Pretty much all mechanical components of a car sound like they are being tortured when cold-soaked in real winter weather. Keep 'em garaged or plugged in if you can. They will live longer as a result! When I was a snowmobiler up in Cottage Country years ago, the general rule of thumb was, once the temp goes down to -35 deg, even a new car in perfect working order may not start.

Ive got an idler or an alternator bearing making that dry bearing noise whenever it gets down below about +20F. I also have a suspension squeak going on, but I dont think 100% its due to the weather; I have another idea what that may be.

My truck has always sqeaked from the front sway bar bushings when it is below freezing. I replaced the factory bushings with Moog ones a couple years ago, which reduced the noise, but didn't eliminate it below freezing.

70* F seems to be the optimum outside air temp for both me and my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back