Coating the windshield with Rainx, wax etc...

Originally Posted by painfx
The rain-x is junk. Turtle Wax Seal N Shine, done deal.

+1. Seal N Shine is better than Rain-X and doesn't build up on the wipers. It lasts a long, long time, too.

I just tried the newer TW Ice Hybrid Solutions Ceramic on mine today, so we'll see if it does as well as Seal N Shine.

I have used and still do with rain-x. Works well but I have not scoped out other things.
There were times in the past I'd used a wax or spray detail on the windshield before but I don't recall any being a great benefit. I've also had times there was a build up on the windshield, probably some various window cleaners or a watered down concentrate..... not compatible with each other apparently.

Just today, I tested out that Mothers mouse-looking gizmo that works similar to a clay bar. I tried it on my hood and windshield and the windshield really looks nice. I'm sort of new to "bonded contaminants" and never really thought about that grit on the windows or windshield. That little thing is a pretty good investment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-17240-Speed-Clay-2-0/543610056?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075:aud-807612879&wl12=543610056_0&wl14=mothers%20clay%20roller&veh=sem&msclkid=22b675ee453614b7b5482b4d9649b2b8

I did the turtle wax shine and seal and it left a film on my windshield that the wipers smeared around. Would not do again.

Originally Posted by brages
I did the turtle wax shine and seal and it left a film on my windshield that the wipers smeared around. Would not do again.

Not a good turn out. Any possibility there was a layer of window cleaner or washer fluid incompatibility? I'm not sure how you'd know unless there are very specific directions on pre cleaning, or striping first. I might tend to try an alcohol based window cleaner to strip the glass clean.

The rainx version I use is the spay and buff on, then buff dry or off with damp cloth. I see it fog a bit during the process but think its normal and the reason to buff off as well as see where you need to work it more. After doing it a few times, its pretty fast, easy and intuitive.

Last edited:
I've been using Rain-X since 1993. Has never let me down. Love being able to just turn the wipers off above 35mph. I put it on all windows.

I've always heard great things about aquapel. I bought some (I thought) off of Ebay and was really disappointed. In hindsight, I probably got a good price on a counterfeit product.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Unless the product sheens instead of beads water it causes difficulties in the rain at night. I stoped using glass treatments because of night driving problems.

I agree. Seems like RainX, Aquapel, Quick detail spray they all made driving at night half scary. What I use now is P21 Booster and that seems to keep the glass clean in between cleaning with Sprayway. It doesn't run off like RainX but it makes the wipers work better, hard to explain.

I think the issue with rain-x and other treatment is that they eventually wear off and start looking patchy. Some newer cards have rain sensors that looks through the glass that can trigger if water beads over the windshield. Rain-X window server fluid will clog the sensor of some cars, though I never encountered the issue myself. Rain-X on side-window and mirrors is not always a great idea, since it beads and actually obscure your vision when you start from park.

Paul

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
I think the issue with rain-x and other treatment is that they eventually wear off and start looking patchy. Some newer cards have rain sensors that looks through the glass that can trigger if water beads over the windshield. Rain-X window server fluid will clog the sensor of some cars, though I never encountered the issue myself. Rain-X on side-window and mirrors is not always a great idea, since it beads and actually obscure your vision when you start from park.

Paul

Do you mean the coating could interfere with the sensors? Clogging might be difficult in those circumstances.

A side note, my Mazda has sensors and radar located in the emblem on the grill. I use the wax or sealant I have on hand to put a protective coating on the emblem. Never a problem with the sensors and it keeps the emblem clean. Right after I purchased the car I got error messages due to snow/ice building up on the emblem.

I use sealant on my rear camera as well. Keeps the rain off the lens.

A shop I used to work in used to apply Aquapel as an ancillary service. Not a lot of people had heard of it...so it was a hard sell. The people who did buy it, loved it. They would have us apply it to all their vehicles. The shop eventually stopped the service and told us to dispose of the remainder of the product however we saw fit.

I ended up with 2 cases of it...each case had 24 applicator viles. One treatment of this stuff lasts for about a year on my vehicles. Needless to say, I have a long lasting supply of it. It was created by PPG...but now owned by Pittsburgh Glass. As far as shelf life...I've had my PPG made stockpile for about 20 years and none of it seems any less potent than it was when I got it.

Never had any issue with glare when driving at night. I can actually see BETTER driving at night with this stuff applied.

I used to apply product to my windshield, these days I just use rainx washer fluid. Works well enough makes it much easier to see in torrential down pours.

I recommend it to anyone I know. Never had any issues

I stopped using them on VW's. Always made my wipers chatter, both front and rear.

Just regular -25 deg F washer fluid in the winter and the other 3 seasons, Vaico Clean Screen and distilled water.

Last edited:
Well, just realizing this thread is a good reminder for me anyways.
We don't get lots of rain here and I rarely drive in the rain so I don't have a schedule per se on doing the RainX treatment. Now is good or overdue on both cars but I usually think of it pre winter and do them mid to late fall.
Night vision issues would bite if a treatment caused blur or glare was the case. Hadn't heard of or experienced with RainX though. I'm almost certain problems would easily surface if or when trying various products on a windshield.
Incompatibility of various chemicals used on glass one needs to see through just seems like flirting with disaster. To be safe I guess you'd want to use the best and safest cleaner or stripper between trials.

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Originally Posted by The Critic
From a price-to-performance standpoint, Aquapel is hard to beat. But there are a A LOT of fakes out there; you have to make sure you purchase the real one.

The Critic.
This Aquapel looks interesting, but your comment about knock-offs worry me. How can you tell if it's genuine?
Thanks.

Trico sells the Aquapel product under their label as well; I think it is called Trico View:
https://www.tricoproducts.com/products/other-products/trico-view-glass-treatment

I would be hesitant to buy any Aquapel on Amazon or eBay. It is very difficult to differentiate between the legitimate versions and the fake ones.

For my ride I'm at the point of where I will use only 2 products to clean/treat it. For glass cleaning I use nothing but Sprayway, especially with the foaming 'clinging' formula in the squirt bottle now available as opposed to the older aerosol cans I've used. For all-purpose 'treatment' I apply Lucas Slick Mist every month or so to all glass, weatherstripping, wiper blades, etc. That gives exceptional performance on water beading, wiper performance as well as longevity to all the rubber components. Those 2 products beat all things I've personally used over the last 35 years of driving.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
From a price-to-performance standpoint, Aquapel is hard to beat. But there are a A LOT of fakes out there; you have to make sure you purchase the real one.

The only people who use rain x are those who've never tried Aquapel. Related, my wipers are PIAA and 5 years old; don't squeak, chirp or chatter. Buy once, cry once.

Not true. I've used Aquapel and I think Rain-X works better...

Originally Posted by painfx
The rain-x is junk. Turtle Wax Seal N Shine, done deal.

That may be your opinion, but I disagree...

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I've been using Rain-X since 1993. Has never let me down. Love being able to just turn the wipers off above 35mph. I put it on all windows.

I also think it's the best product out there. I'm wondering why so many people in this thread don't like it? Could be they aren't applying it properly, but that's pretty tough to do...

Originally Posted by Touring5
I've always heard great things about aquapel. I bought some (I thought) off of Ebay and was really disappointed. In hindsight, I probably got a good price on a counterfeit product.

This alone would keep me from buying this product...and what's going when you think you're buying the real product, but you are getting a cheap fake instead? How is it possible for the fake stuff to be labeled the same as the real product? I buy Rain-X and I KNOW what I'm getting...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil

The only people who use rain x are those who've never tried Aquapel. Related, my wipers are PIAA and 5 years old; don't squeak, chirp or chatter. Buy once, cry once.

Not true. I've used Aquapel and I think Rain-X works better...

I agree with this with the note that I never used Aquapel, but i drove in the same regions like Grampi(IL, KY, TN, IN, MI)
I used the regular exterior+interior Rain-X on the Chrysler, Mercury and Elantra, and the Rain-X windshield reservoir or the additive in the Elantra.

On the Yaris and Mazda5 (both, for their size have BIG front window acreage) I used the Rain-X window cleaner. Kinda hard to buff and had to work some elbow-grease but the results where good on IL rains.
Now I didn't treat the Mazda for about 9 months so it kind of cleaned itself(dust/sand/various wipers abrasion?). There is no bedding anymore

The reason was actually finding the product easy in the local Wally/Autozone/O'reilly/Autoparts over the years.
i keep my wipers 6months-1year (salt + sand winter abrasion)

Back