Painting windshield wiper arms

Typically, it will look good for 3 or 4 years. The key is to prepare the wiper/trim by removing all rust and roughing up the surface if it has old paint. Sandpaper works, but it is much easier to use a Dremel tool with a fine wire brush wheel on irregular surfaces like wiper arms. A quick wipedown with isopropyl alcohol or Dupont Prep-Sol will remove any oils before spraying.
There's no rust, all it is the paint is dull.

Any low luster black will do. Do not clear coat.
Pretty much this. Flat or Satin black. Doesn't have to be special. Most wipers the wind/rain will eventually erode the paint back off.

There's also not much of a need to be super detailed about it, make sure they're resonably clean and just hang them up and spray.

If it's just dull paint, have you tried a polishing/cleaner wax, or mild abrasive like toothpaste then regular wax?

If they need painted, they'll also hold up longer if you use a regular automotive wax after letting the paint cure a few weeks. Wax will also allow ice to release easier.

Satin is better than flat which can look bad waxed.

Did I mention wax? :)

How long has this held up?
used SEM's trim black on the Civic.. wiper arms, even the side moldings! Read the directions, light coats instead of heavy.. And please wear a respirator 3M has some excellent ones. Going on about 10 years now, holding fine.. But you have to make sure you prep the surface, free of oil, dirt, etc.. I used SEM's prep solvent.

Also.. when you get done you'll think it's the factory paint because from my research, it's the same as the factory! SEM has different Trim Black versions, but the 39143 (I think that's what you ordered) is exactly factory, I call it a "matte sheen" look..

used SEM's trim black on the Civic.. wiper arms, even the side moldings! Read the directions, light coats instead of heavy.. And please wear a respirator 3M has some excellent ones. Going on about 10 years now, holding fine.. But you have to make sure you prep the surface, free of oil, dirt, etc.. I used SEM's prep solvent.

Also.. when you get done you'll think it's the factory paint because from my research, it's the same as the factory! SEM has different Trim Black versions, but the 39143 (I think that's what you ordered) is exactly factory, I call it a "matte sheen" look..
Great thanks,, I cleaned them all up with some mineral spirits.. the wipers are in really good condition. Just faded paint.. I have them in my garage just waiting on the spray paint.. nobody had it near me..

Great thanks,, I cleaned them all up with some mineral spirits.. the wipers are in really good condition. Just faded paint.. I have them in my garage just waiting on the spray paint.. nobody had it near me..
awesome, great prep job.. yeah it's tough to find. I usually get it from a local paint supply store (supplies to body shops) but glad amazon had it! When I spray it, I'm usually about 5 inches from the surface, and the nozzle tip is adjustable, vertical and horizontal. I'd go with a vertical spray moving horizontal. Test it out, you'll see..directions will tell ya more.. (y)

I used Wurth satin black. it was pathetic. lost its protection within six months, properly prepped and all. won't bother with that stuff again for external situations.

My domestic had ss arms that were peeling- just a scotchbrite and respray. My old toyota needed a evaporust dip/picklex treatment hope they will look good for years.

Back