Classic Road Bikes

Great thread! (y)

I still have my Trek 500 from the mid 80s. Sent the frame back to Trek for a repaint and it came back a different color of red. Lugged R501. It's going to be a town bike someday if I ever finish it. The Shimano 600 group went on an early Allez lugged carbon noodle frame so this is a total mutt bike. Gave up road riding 15 years ago, not enough roads or respect here.
IMG_2679.jpg

Very pretty bike. Eddy got Ugo DeRosa to set up his shop and it was obvious given the result. Nagasawa also learned from Ugo. The Delta brakes are quite rare. I had one of the first made (Record C group, ‘86) and replaced them with Cobalto calipers.

Here's a pic of the Blue Gerch in 1986, I was chasing down a fast Canadian who I wouldn't let go ;) The jersey still fits but the motor isn't the same.

View attachment 197459

I raced mountain bikes as well, this is the is 90s in Durango at the Iron Horse Classic.

View attachment 197460

This is Alpe D' Huez in 2011 on a rented Trek after beating cancer, just before the Tour came thru.

View attachment 197461

View attachment 197462

I'm currently in treatment for stage 3 NH Lymphoma (complements of my time at Camp LeJeune). I'm looking forward to getting thru with it for the 2024 season.
Good luck! Both my parents and I got the cancer, I’m sure, from Camp Lejeune, and my mother had what you have. I was born and raised there. Such a tragedy. She beat it, and you will too!

Only a few were made by Roland. The above posted Lemond is a Trek produced model, they didn't treat Greg very well. I have a LeMond GLX made by Billato in Italy, I haven't got it built up yet. Most steel frame LeMonds that aren't Treks are Billato built, they were imported by a company called Ten Speed Drive Imports in FL.

View attachment 197489

I'm fortunate to have met and spent some time with Greg on few occasions, a great bike racer and person.

View attachment 197491

From the post above with the Specialized Allez, great bike! I have an 86 like they used in American Flyers with Kevin Costner as well.

View attachment 197492
Great bike racer? You likely have no idea. I had the great honor/misfortune to have competed against him. It’s impossible to overstate how awe inspiring he was, and right out of the gate. He beat George Mount in the Mt Tamalpais hillclimb while still a boy and outsprinted Kenny DeMarteleire in the Jr Worlds. Which is nearly inconceivable if you saw the previous year’s points race. I don’t think there’s been a more perfect human for riding a bike. Every knock on his career, in my opinion, stems from the fact that he is not as insecure or immoral as his rivals.

I had a Schwinn Continental all through school in the 70's. Not a bike to write home about but there were many of them everywhere and it was a favorite of many. I don't ride anymore but I do have my dad's Raleigh 3spd if I ever want to circle the block.
Schwinn was a big name in the 70's. My brother gifted me with a yellow Le Tour. I've been riding ever since. Now I'm on my third Cannondale. I just love riding.

Back in the 80s I built and raced a Vitus 979 with Campy Super Record with G40 wheels and bladed spokes. I worked in a bike shop building custom bikes & wheels and saved my money for years to buy that bike used. I loved that bike and put thousands of miles on it, wish I had a photo.

Nowadays I ride a 2021 Fezzari Empire road bike (photo of that bike on a different thread), a 2014 Fezzari Timp peak mountain bike, a 1999 Santana tandem, and a Franken-bike made from my brother's old Trek 330 from the 1980s that I turned into a "single speed" with a 2-speed internally geared kick-back hub.

I do like vintage bikes and every year it seems I restore one for a friend or two. Yet I find that the Fezzari Empire is the best road bike I've ever owned. The comfort, efficiency, smoothness & road feel, speed, wide gear range, are all a step ahead of any bike I've owned over decades of avid cycling. Between this bike and the MTB I put in 5 to 10 thousand miles per year depending on what endurance events I'm riding and the training for them.

I had a root beer brown Varsity. And legs like tree trunks.
The brown Varsity was the classic. The apocryphal story is about some guy we all knew who was planning biking trip through Europe. Before the trip, he painted his expensive racing bike brown with Schwinn Varsity graphics as a form of theft protection.

The brown Varsity was the classic. The apocryphal story is about some guy we all knew who was planning biking trip through Europe. Before the trip, he painted his expensive racing bike brown with Schwinn Varsity graphics as a form of theft protection.
Theft protection....

A helpful hint. If I stop for coffee or something during a ride I always park my bike in its biggest gear. That way someone can't quickly speed off on it. FWIW.

Scott

Great thread! (y)

I still have my Trek 500 from the mid 80s. Sent the frame back to Trek for a repaint and it came back a different color of red. Lugged R501. It's going to be a town bike someday if I ever finish it. The Shimano 600 group went on an early Allez lugged carbon noodle frame so this is a total mutt bike. Gave up road riding 15 years ago, not enough roads or respect here.
View attachment 197513

I'm new to the forum and am a rider/collector of steel road bikes. I do have a couple of modern Ti bikes but nothing feels like one of these to me.

View attachment 197433

View attachment 197434

View attachment 197436

View attachment 197437
Found a 70's Schwinn World Sport in a thrift store a few years ago. Not top of the line but top of the middle. Made in Taiwan. Enjoyable to use for exercise and sight seeing. I hope these mid century bikes don't get noticed by collectors and wind up hanging on their wall.

Back