Weird start to winter, but finally using the fat bikes as intended

We got a bunch of wet heavy snow in later October, and I figured it was here to stay, so I got the fat bikes going and hung up the mountain bikes.

But then we had an incredibly mild November and first half of December, and the mountain bikes would have been fine for the most part.

But anyway, more snow yesterday, and I think it will be with us until April. Here's a shot of my ride yesterday. Glad I had the studded tires - I almost fell over on the ice when I dismounted to take the photo:

20231217_120515.jpg

As God intended. My good friend in Pennsylvania is hoping to make it to the new year without having to deploy his fat bike because of snow. You're hard core.
I'm sure if I lived in temperate Pennsylvania I'd still be riding my mountain bike too. 😁

I ride fat year round. Love it. Sometimes I ride my 3" tire bike if I'm feeling fast.

Chuck, how's the powdercoat holding up?

I ride fat year round. Love it. Sometimes I ride my 3" tire bike if I'm feeling fast.

Chuck, how's the powdercoat holding up?
Clark, the powdercoat has been disappointing on my steel Surly. As seen in the photos, the rusties have started to make a comeback around the brazed-on lugs.

The finish on my wife's Charge Cooker Max (with its aluminum frame) looks a lot better, although the Surly fork is showing a bit of rust similar to mine.

But its mostly cosmetic - I'm told the thing that kills winter bikes is internal rust, so before reassembly I sprayed inside all the tubes with lots of Rust Check spray.

Next time around I might just strip them down myself, and use spray bombs.

20231219_111813~2.jpg

20231219_111809~2.jpg

Oh man! That rust looks to me like they either didn't get enough powder in the nooks and crannies or they didn't prep good enough in the tight places.

Side note... I was turned on to this marine anti seize called Tef Gel. Stuff is perfect for anything threaded on bicycles. I have it on my seatposts, everything threaded...
Not to rub it in but the powder on my Ice Cream Truck is holding up perfectly.
What's with that allen bolt that looks like it may touch your brake rotor?

Western Canada is unusually warm. Edmonton, that city of a million people where it still gets to -40 occasionally, ( and home of the Edmonton Oilers), had no snow until well into December, the first time in 100 years.

Last edited:
Western Canada is unusually warm. Edmonton, that city of a million people where it still gets to -40 occasionally, ( and home of the Edmonton Oilers), had no snow until well into December, the first time in 100 years.
There too, eh? It's around freezing here today, when it would typically be around -10 to -15. We have some snow, but not a lot.

When I see someone like that I have to rewind my first thoughts and say good for you keep it up. (y)

No snow in sight here at 5000' in AZ. We get just enough to appreciate not having much. That rust makes me a little sick.
My thoughts too were "Good for you, keep going!"

Yes, rust is the bane of my existence.
Oh man! That rust looks to me like they either didn't get enough powder in the nooks and crannies or they didn't prep good enough in the tight places.

Side note... I was turned on to this marine anti seize called Tef Gel. Stuff is perfect for anything threaded on bicycles. I have it on my seatposts, everything threaded...
Not to rub it in but the powder on my Ice Cream Truck is holding up perfectly.
What's with that allen bolt that looks like it may touch your brake rotor?
I suspect inadequate preparation - I think the sandblasting wasn't thorough enough.

I put old allen bolts into all of the threaded fittings to protect the threads during the powdercoating process. Didn't get around to replacing all of the coated ones with stainless. It's a shorty, and doesn't contact the rotor.

The upside to the rust is that perhaps thieves have passed my bike by for prettier ones. 😉

Glad the ICT is holding up well!

Had a good ride yesterday, much of it on the new trails that parallel the new Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) infrastructure.

4:17 p.m. and the sun is low:
20231226_161741_HDR.jpg

Here's the full moon, about 180 degrees away from the setting sun:
20231226_161812.jpg

4:33 p.m. - Rush hour looks not too bad, but it was the day after Christmas and so a holiday for many.
20231226_163324_HDR.jpg

4:50 p.m., and only about 2 km away from home. The Red River is now freezing up nicely.
1_20231226_165042.jpg

What size tires does your bike have? My current 700x35c with studded tires is awesome on ice but cuts through snow not float on top. Have a 27.5 bike that didn't do too bad but it was slushy snow and I got more wet than I'd like. Debating if I should upgrade it or go full send with a fat bike. Have 4 bikes what's one more lol.

What size tires does your bike have? My current 700x35c with studded tires is awesome on ice but cuts through snow not float on top. Have a 27.5 bike that didn't do too bad but it was slushy snow and I got more wet than I'd like. Debating if I should upgrade it or go full send with a fat bike. Have 4 bikes what's one more lol.
45North studded tires - 26 x 4.8 front, 26 x 4.0 rear. I'm running about 10 p.s.i., but can drop if I need better traction.

I can relate to the multiple bikes!

Back