Civic vs a Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being least impressed with the Corolla of all it's Japanese competitors, I'd say the Civic was more thoughtfully engineered by a long-shot. They have been desperately trying to bring the Corolla up to 'industry standard' though with a few notes of stitching and a panel of soft-touch but it's still a chincebox behind the scenes and most of that stitching is just molded plastic a-la 1980s Chrysler. If you're serious, take your time and try to form your own opinions about the thought and care put into the vehicle as a package. We pay for cars not to get only the things we as consumers think are important in a focus group like extra cupholders, Android Auto and an insular ride but more importantly, we pay for the comprehensive and thoughtful engineering expertise in aspects we haven't and wouldn't ever think about as consumers like safe, competent vehicle manners and proper impact load distribution in an acident (so you don't wreck easily and die), tank-to-wheel fuel efficiency of the drivetrain, the durability of the parts, alloys and finishes used and competent beta testing, so youre less likely to end up with a class actionable oil burner or head bolts stripping out of blocks and other weird, dumb problems. The only thing I'm not crazy about on the Civic is the harder edgier design but that's a matter of taste

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Being least impressed with the Corolla of all it's Japanese competitors, I'd say the Civic was more thoughtfully engineered by a long-shot. They have been desperately trying to bring the Corolla up to 'industry standard' though with a few notes of stitching and a panel of soft-touch but it's still a chincebox behind the scenes and most of that stitching is just molded plastic a-la 1980s Chrysler.

And what do you drive? The Corolla ranks number ONE in it's category by CR. The Civic is mid-pack and not on the recommended list.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Being least impressed with the Corolla of all it's Japanese competitors, I'd say the Civic was more thoughtfully engineered by a long-shot. They have been desperately trying to bring the Corolla up to 'industry standard' though with a few notes of stitching and a panel of soft-touch but it's still a chincebox behind the scenes and most of that stitching is just molded plastic a-la 1980s Chrysler.

And what do you drive? The Corolla ranks number ONE in it's category by CR. The Civic is mid-pack and not on the recommended list.

I drive a Cavalier
wink.gif
jk But seriously I've been meaning to ask you, is SatinSilver that Toyota colour from the late-90s? If so I loved that colour! We called it "Corolla Silver", essentially a pearl coat on a silver base.
thumbsup2.gif

I drive a Cavalier
wink.gif
jk But seriously I've been meaning to ask you, is SatinSilver that Toyota colour from the late-90s? If so I loved that colour! We called it "Corolla Silver", essentially a pearl coat on a silver base.
thumbsup2.gif

I remember you mentioning working on a 4.0 Ford engine, changing the spark plugs. Not sure if that sparks your memory at all.

As far as the colour goes, no.

The 2010 Ford is my pops'. It's got >200K KM on it right now and has been surpringly dependable. Coolant was changed once (from G05 to Japanese Phosphated type), oil, plugs, wires, 3 tire sets, one new battery and one ATF D&F. It burns no noticible oil for the entire OCI. 2 front wheel hub-bearing assys under warranty, a known issue and one hub bearing out of warranty. I discovered on the last bearing change that too little grease is installed at manufacture in ALL of these things, OE, OEM, aftermarket... so I just pump them full of grease via ABS hole and issue solved.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
My stepdad just got a new 2017 Civic. Being retired, he's trying to watch the funds so, on the surface, this was a bit of a "downgrade" for him. With that said, he says this may be the best driving car he has ever had. The more he drives it the more the combination of ride, handling, and steering feel has blown him away considering what the car cost. I've yet to sample it but that pretty much lines up with other reviews not only of Civic but of CR-V and the new Accord which all come from this platform. Honda really nailed it with this one.

Well I got my hands on the new Civic over the Christmas holiday. I was a bit skeptical about my stepdad's report re: the car driving better than his '15 Accord Sport but he is correct.

The first thing I noticed is the ride, it's much more compliant than the '15 Accord. It was firm but never harsh. The 2.0 has adequate acceleration and moves the car a bit better than I thought it would. The noise at high RPM wasn't as good as some other Hondas I remember but it was OK. It was, however, the smoothest Honda I4 I can remember since my '97 Civic EX from idle through moderate throttle acceleration. The CVT was not objectionable at all and, although it would take some time to get used to the quirks of its operation, its response time to inputs was surprisingly quick. This is the best of any CVT I've driven to date (Honda, Subaru, Nissan). The steering is weighted OK, maybe a bit light for my taste but it's direct and has just the right ratio. I didn't get quite enough time with the car to quantify mid-corner road surface feedback to the wheel. From there it was the handling which stuck out to me. There was virtually no roll, good grip, and remarkable lack of push from the front end (it felt quite neutral). The handling is even more impressive when you consider the ride is more compliant than the previous gen. Accord Sport was. Inside they made the compromises in the right places. It has some great features for the money (auto climate control, auto headlights, and auto up/down windows) and the materials you interact with are of reasonable quality with the high points being the dash cover and upper door panels (it's also more solidly put together than my BMW). The low point was the feel of the steering wheel control buttons.

Despite being a base model, this was the best Honda product I've driven since my '12 TSX. It may even be better in terms of ride, handing, and steering and shows what years of evolution and development with lofty targets in mind can do for the driving experience, even in an economy car. It made me question whether I'm getting another $300/mo worth out of my car.

To me the Asian brands have just gone too wacky with their styling. They used to build some of the nicest looking cars. The 2004-2008 Acura TL is a nice looking car, some of the older Acuras and Hondas also have a timeless look that remains fresh even after 10 years.

The newer civics and accords just look awful. The Type R civic looks like it has fake plastic boy racer pieces glued onto it all over the place. It isn't even a question of looking "geared for racers" it just looks cheap, especially considering the asking price.

Luckily the interiors have improved. My mom's 2011 Fit and my friend's 2007 Civic look and feel like the interiors are out of a Powerwheels.

The new civic lineup looks like it was designed by 16 years for 16 year olds....beyond sporty...like spaceships.

Corolla's look way too fast for how fast they actually go.

Originally Posted By: CKN
If it has a CVT-it is objectionable on BITOG.......

There he is. Welcome back CKN! Happy New Year as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: CKN
If it has a CVT-it is objectionable on BITOG.......

There he is. Welcome back CKN! Happy New Year as well.
smile.gif

Yeah-I got a "little vacation" with my comments about the guy towing "heavy boats" with his Sienna......

Happy New Year to you as well sir!

Last edited:
The Civic is ugly and the wheels look like the pinwheel-styled wheels of the 1990s. Part of buying a car is getting something you can live with for the next 5+ years. I got tired of compromising and got something I really wanted.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Here's what a man's car looks like LOL.

I thought that was your wife's car? I know a lady that recently traded in her 2014 Mustang for a 2017 one. Many ladies drive them.

Not everyone can afford a pony car + the gas + insurance, soft compound tires, etc...

Your Challenger is a sweet ride. No pics of it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back