Civic vs a Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The 2003-2008 generation Corollas are very reliable along with their engine and transmission. So I would sway towards the later years of that generation, 07-08 since they are newer. Good, solid Aisin 4 speed auto that's very durable. Just basic preventative maintenance. Avoid the 09 since that's the first year of the new gen. But later years are very reliable. Also avoid the 2.4 engine since those had issues as well. I think with the head bolts.

I used to be more of a Honda guy but now like Toyota better for the reliability. The current CR recommends the Corolla which comes in first place followed by the Kia Forte. The Civic comes in at the middle of the pack and isn't on their recommended list any longer. Not even the basic NA 2.0 engine.

Also check out www.carcomplaints.com for more info.

Thanks, very helpful. I'll keep an eye and local CL for 06-08 Corollas and see if I can find a bargain
wink.gif

Nothing but good things to say about 2003-2008 models. Fairly easy to work on these cars. Im at 244,000 kms on mine. Ive had some repairs but nothing that ever left me stranded. Intake gasket, 2 recalls: airbag and engine computer. Replaced front wheel bearings, rusted out exhaust flange. Besides regular maintenance items.

we have a 12 civic, and it's a lot more refined than the toyota is. the road noise is less, the ride is smoother, it's just an all around better option than the toyota was.
we have 130K on ours using walmart supertech oil. it's been a fantastic car.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you're tall the Civic isn't a very good choice. I sat in one at the dealership and with the seat all the way down, all the way back, and reclined a bit, the top of my head still poked through the sunroof. My aunt was with me and she said my hair was slightly above the roofline. I'm only 6'2"!

Look at the Elantras too.

I am definitely lucky in that aspect for all of these small cars; neither tall and nor short
smile.gif

Have heard Elantras can have transmission issues, not sure how true they are though?

I'm 6'4", so head clearance was a big issue for me!
grin.gif

I haven't heard much about transmission issues in the Elantras, but Hyundai has had issues with the DCT transmission (though not to the same level as Ford did with theirs) and their CVT is still new. The 6 speed autos are pretty reliable though and have been around for quite some time. Looking at car complaints, the Elantra has very few transmission complaints, and the 2014-current years are looking really solid all around. I shopped the Civic, Corolla and Elantra and I found the Elantra to be the best bang-for-your-buck. The interior is really nice, it came with a 6 speed auto rather than a CVT, and was quite a bit cheaper when comparably equipped. Good luck with your search!

My '05 Corolla has been very reliable. Have had it when it only had 25 miles on it. Kept up with regular maintenance and it's been reliably servicing my transportation needs. Great gas mileage, I get around 120-130 miles on a quarter tank of gas with summer gas (I also use Gumout Regane HM gas treatment every 3k miles).

I have a 2010 Honda Civic, and I previously had a 2003 Pontiac Vibe AKA 2003 Toyota Matrix, which is basically a Corolla hatchback. Same exact drive train. I even had lowering springs from a Corolla on that Vibe and they fit perfectly. Here are my experiences.

I love the Civic for the sporty driving sensation. Love the power, love the VTEC. Love the 37mpg (35-40) fuel economy. BUT it is very stiff and until it warms up - it sounds terrible and vibrates the whole cabin. Almost feels like engine mounts are rock-solid and only soften up when the engine warms up. 65k miles.

I loved my Vibe/Matrix/Corolla for the comfort. Also tons of space, flat cargo area with seats folded, actual 110V style power plug was a huge bonus. 28mpg average, highway yields 32mpg. One of the better cars that I have ever had. Sold it with 260k miles and zero issues. As a matter of fact - I am currently looking for an older 2003-2008 Vibe GT/Matrix XRS right now to replace my 2010 Civic.

Just my .02 cents. Look for a 2003-2008 Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe. Same exact car, just with slightly different appearances. IMHO, a lot more comfortable than a Corolla of the same era, even though all three share the same drivetrain.

[
BTW, in terms of MPG and reliability how's Yaris or Fit?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

I rent the Yaris regularly. OK little car, responsive, if a bit slow and noisy. I get 35MPG typically, with a high of 38 one time.

The Fit seems to get about the same MPG according to fuel economy.gov. Friends own them, I like the fit better than the yaris. Far more substantial vehicle.

Vlad_the_Russian , that Vibe is beautiful!!!

... and the people that don't know Toyota Matrix is the same, so maybe a price cut?
if looking for similar, Fit would be the lower class, really nifty seats, but noisy.

Probably after buying, go to an auto sound shop and have them insulate the car.
If you're handy, dynamat or homedepot/lowes sticky mats....

My stepdad just got a new 2017 Civic. Being retired, he's trying to watch the funds so, on the surface, this was a bit of a "downgrade" for him. With that said, he says this may be the best driving car he has ever had. The more he drives it the more the combination of ride, handling, and steering feel has blown him away considering what the car cost. I've yet to sample it but that pretty much lines up with other reviews not only of Civic but of CR-V and the new Accord which all come from this platform. Honda really nailed it with this one.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
My stepdad just got a new 2017 Civic. Being retired, he's trying to watch the funds so, on the surface, this was a bit of a "downgrade" for him. With that said, he says this may be the best driving car he has ever had. The more he drives it the more the combination of ride, handling, and steering feel has blown him away considering what the car cost. I've yet to sample it but that pretty much lines up with other reviews not only of Civic but of CR-V and the new Accord which all come from this platform. Honda really nailed it with this one.

Yes, the 2017 Civic is a great driving car.

I had a 2017 Civic and 2017 Accord rentals the same week, both cars were sedans and driven approx 300 each.
Going from the Civic to the Accord , I was really surprised at how boring the Accord drove. Nothing bad about the Accord but Honda did a great job redesigning the Civic suspension, steering and the overall way a Civic drives.

Personally, even though I used to praise Honda.....I'd go with a well taken care of five or six year old Corolla.

Honda almost always has more road noise in the Civic and thus, the ride tends to be a bit rough. As for anybody suggesting the Honda Fit? Run like the wind.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Personally, even though I used to praise Honda.....I'd go with a well taken care of five or six year old Corolla.

Honda almost always has more road noise in the Civic and thus, the ride tends to be a bit rough. As for anybody suggesting the Honda Fit? Run like the wind.

The Fit is just really under powered and the auto transmission sucks. I think if the Fit had the 1.8L and a manual it would be a much better vehicle (at least my mom's 2011).

I've always found Hondas to be a bit more "fun" than their Toyota equivalents, especially with a manual transmission.

I agree with the 'fun' part on Civic and a bit sporty feel too, at least on the 7th and 8th gens which I have right now.

I am talking with an owner of 2006 CE and 2002 LE, both Corolla, maybe will go and test drive one to see if I like it.

When comparing the Civic and Corolla, they both have their pluses and minuses.
The Corolla rides better and is quieter (except for the SE). The Civic is rougher riding and noisier but handles better (except for the Corolla SE). The Civic's infotainment system sucks. Automatic emergency braking is standard on all Corollas.
From a value standpoint, the choice is going to depend on weather you are buying a used or new one and how long you intend to keep the car. If you are buying new and will be trading every few years, buy a Civic, it has a better short term resale value and is one of the most reliable cars on the market in the short term. If you are buying used, buy a Corolla, you can purchase a used 1-2 year old Corolla for significantly less money than a used 1-2 year old Civic and there will be a LOT more of them available due to the fact that so many of them are sold to rental car companies. Used or new, if you are going to keep the car until the wheels fall off (where resale value is not important), buy a Corolla, it will be more durable, last longer, and be more reliable in the long run (>10 years). Long term durability of the paint, automatic transmissions, and air conditioning systems have been problem areas on many Hondas. Also, if you live in a very hot or very cold climate, the small batteries that Honda insists on using will be a problem.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I'd pick the one with non turbo non direct injection non CVT, then interior quality.

Any suggestions or input in terms of a particular model year of Corolla?

I don't know, these days I'd pick a Prius and forget about the belt CVT concern, and expect the battery to last 10-15 years.

If I have to pick a new econo compact today, Elantra / Forte would be my pick. If it must be between a Corolla and Civic, I'd pick a Corolla because Toyota tends to be more conservative with transmission and Honda tends to be more "optimistic" when they design automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

The new Civic does handle well. The build quality, as it ages, concerns me a bit though. I've already had an interior piece covering the tail light fall down. And although the CVT is improved over other previous Honda models....it still annoys me. It's plain weird. I always feel more at home in a regular auto transmission or a stick. Another minor annoyance with the Civic is the flip button emergency brake. I can't stand it....even after having my car for over a year I can't get used to it.
I'd like to try the main competitors model to see the differences....the Toyota Corolla. Maybe it would have been more to my liking. That's all on me for not test driving both before getting the civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back