City Trash Skips

Have you guys ever had your trash skipped by the city on trash day? My tree hangs out onto the street a little ways, so I always assumed it was because the city doesn't want their trucks damaged by my tree. But come to find out, my neighbors are getting their trash containers skipped too. That doesn't make any sense because there's no trees on the other side of the street. We're all paying right around $160 bi-monthly for the trash collection and the water usage.
I have twice randomly and I put it out the night before pick-up. I know my city won't pick them up if they are too close together. First time is a warning usually then no pick-up. Definitely call your city billing number. I spoke with someone and they had them come out the next day. The trash truck also broke my trash lid. They fixed that no cost as well.

The German Village community in CBUS put a stop to early trash pick up. Homes next to businesses with dumpsters in that community. Usually those type of trash trucks start their run early because of less traffic and less chances of people parking in front of a dumpster. People didn’t like being woke up at 4 AM.
Our truck is pretty quiet and no dumpsters in the neighborhood. Just trash cans they dump manually. Only way I even hear them is if I'm already awake and no TV running.

I grew up where we had trash pickup, and they were fairly reliable. Now I haul my own trash, and prefer it this way.

I know there is a weight limit on our cans, how they figure it out IDK.
Where we lived previously, the cans also had barcodes or RFID chips and the trucks had readers. It's mostly useless data but for a period of time, they were having "lottery" type games where if you recycled over a certain weight level, your name/account could be eligible for a cash reward.

Failed pickups about 2-3 a year.
Not nice in summer with rapidly rottting garbage.
If I phone I can usually get a pickup a few days later.

They’re pretty consistent in leaving a puddle of hydraulic fluid.

Ours lags a day when there are holidays, or they’ll send an email/text if things are real bad with the day they’re coming. Fantastic service for $80/quarter, but we’re not beholden to whoever the city decides to use for trash.
That's what I pay as well.
$80 a month I'd be just burning my trash.

I can never remember when trash day is, so probably only gets picked up 50% of the time.

We get missed maybe once every few years, although the recycling bin gets missed a bit more often.
What really raises my eyebrows is the volume of stuff people put out each week. No wonder so many areas are running out of landfill capacity.

We get missed maybe once every few years, although the recycling bin gets missed a bit more often.
What really raises my eyebrows is the volume of stuff people put out each week. No wonder so many areas are running out of landfill capacity.
I do know it's possible to put enough stuff in a dumpster that the trash truck can't lift it and blows a hose in the process of trying.

We smashed that trash down 4 or 5 times with a 200 excavator to get more room. 🤣

Back