Children Playing With Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of dirt clod fights, I remember one that was particularly awesome. Awesome until Jimmy Campbell popped up from behind a log and caught one dead square in the eye. That pretty much put an end to DCF's for us.

I live on the edge of a bowl where I can see a LARGE amount of fireworks going off. It's a spectacular sight, and doesn't cost me anything. Sure, I have to pick up the occasional dead rocket body and other trash, but I ofen just mow over it until it gets shredded or dissolves. I don't worry too much about it.

Every 4th I spend a few moments at the height of the carnage and remember what we're celebrating and what it has cost to get here. I imagine the young men, far from home, or especially during our fight for independence from England and on our own soil, to hear and see bombs bursting in air, automatic weapons fire coming in their direction, and what fear they must have felt. Our shooting off FW is a representation of that, and it leaves is mark on the souls of those that understand it. IMHO.

But I understand how some places are not well disposed to allow fireworks, and some just don't feel it.

It was in the budget. My wife wrote a blog post about some contest Rayovac was having. Saturday morning, the mail arrived, and we got four big packages of batteries (16 AAA, 16 AA, 8 C, 8 D, 3 9V) and a $50 Wal-Mart gift card from Rayovac because she was one of the first 100 to blog about the contest.

That $50 replaced cash to purchase some other things and freed up the cash to buy some fireworks. My youngest daughter's reaction was worth the price of admission (this is a video on Photobucket, you can click on it to watch):

Later on, she got to wave around some sparklers, and we heard a lot more of the "wooooooooo" sound and the crazy mad person's giggles. She's 2 months shy of 2, but thinks and acts like my 3- and 4-year olds. Why should she be the baby? It's more fun to terrorize her older siblings by doing everything they do!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Moral of all stories is live and let live. Be polite and considerate of your neighbors. Trespass no further than you are tolerant of trespass against you ..and add a little extra to allow yourself the feeling of taking a higher road.

Beyond all that ..playing with fire and watching stuff blow up can be a lot of fun
grin2.gif

I'm back to doing situps from a totally inverted position on my inversion table (totally upside down). Not many 59 YO's can do that, I'd bet. My back must be OK now.

When I was 12 years old I was playing with a rocket type firework horizontally from the balcony of my aunt's apartment building. It landed onto someone's laundry 3 building away and set them on fire in the middle of the night. Good thing people found and extinguished it.

I wasn't intentional and didn't realize it was a rocket (though it was some sparkle type of firework that could look cool sideway going down the street from a 3/F balcony). Since then I believe that firework should be done only in a controlled environment (like in a concrete basketball court) away from any home.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Lurch - get drunk and set something on fire. Be very loud about it.

You will not regret it. Trust me on this. I have a lot of experience in this realm.

01.gif

You will not regret it. Trust me on this. I have a lot of experience in this realm.

I think I've heard of you, you must be in Houston
10.gif

Maybe it's because I'd been hanging out with this guy tonight
04.gif
but that's funny.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Never heard of fireworks being illegal before. Up here you can only buy them a few days before and during the Victoris Day long weekend and the Canada Day long weekend.
Here in ohio they used to allow explosive ones (20-odd years ago), but now the only ones "allowed" are the lame smoking ones. To make it easier not having exploding firecrackers any longer, I have a couple firecracker wake-up videos on my Youtube favorites where someone tied a string of firecrackers to their sleeping friend's ankle and lit the fuse.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back