Chevy vs. Dodge and why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hear it. This vehicle would be for the long term. As far as reliability, easy access for drain/fills, etc. which vehicle would be better? This is for the pick up truck line, the equivalent of the 1500's for both.

Are you buying new or used? IMO, the integrity and honesty of the servicing dealer is more important than the actual brand. If you do all your own maintenance and repair's I am sure you will need to look at both and make a decision on what you like/don't like. My last 2003 Dakota was a very, very, good little truck. Only repair was a water pump in 91,000 miles. Late model Silverado's are pretty well built too.

Why no Fords?

I see you have a Honda; I'm not sure of what your needs are but if they are slight then a Ridgeline might fit. It could have a similar feel to your current Honda.

You should test drive a few different makes before getting your mind made up on what you think you want.
I've heard that the Ram trucks with rear coil springs are the best riding full-size trucks.
If ride quality matters, I think a Ram is worth considering. Local dealers in my area have been advertising new Chevy Silverado 4X4's for $33K. Also keep in mind that the EPA highway is related 22MPG for either the 4.3 V6 or the 5.3 V8, so don't punish yourself with the "coulda had a V8".

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Chevy vs. Dodge and why

Why even start a thread like this? The real answer is, if you're in the market to make a purchase, drive each one. Then decide which suits your needs, is comfortable and is within your budget.

All you'll really get with a thread like this is the one guy who has a burr up his backside claiming that anything Dodge is junk, a bunch of anecdotal information about both brands, at least 1 person who thinks you should include Ford, and at least 1 heated discussion about how much better Toyota is than either Dodge or Chevrolet.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
so don't punish yourself with the "coulda had a V8".

Have you looked under the hood on one of these V6 trucks?

4114d1330186893-2011-chevrolet-silverado-1500-4-3l-v6-gas-mileage-img_4962.jpg

OP said "this vehicle would be for the long term. As far as reliability, easy access for drain/fills". It simply doesn't get much better than that.

Depends on what you want to do with it-the Ford with the Ecoboost engine option will get the best MPG & tow more than the others. I'm not the biggest Ford fan, but the Ecoboost engine has been around long enough to get a lot of the bugs out-my co. should've gotten the 3.5 in my work Transit, my occasional 13K+ GCW trailer pulling jobs would be a LOT easier on gas.

Buying new, and anything that can be more practical than the CR-V. It grinds my gears it is pretty new, but with outdoor work, its next to useless.

Dodge/Chrysler has always had its short comings. I prefer Chevy/GMC for trucks with Ford right after.

I've been under fairly new chevy trucks and the frames can't take the salt. If you're up where it salts (location helpful) I'd mind that.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Chevy vs. Dodge and why

Why even start a thread like this? The real answer is, if you're in the market to make a purchase, drive each one. Then decide which suits your needs, is comfortable and is within your budget.

All you'll really get with a thread like this is the one guy who has a burr up his backside claiming that anything Dodge is junk, a bunch of anecdotal information about both brands, at least 1 person who thinks you should include Ford, and at least 1 heated discussion about how much better Toyota is than either Dodge or Chevrolet.

thumbsup2.gif
This!

Chevy. Easier to get to the spark plugs and other routine maintenance items. The entire engine on a Dodge truck is under the cowl. You can't even see it.

The last new(ish) Ford truck I looked under the hood of had everything even more easily accessible.

Towing, drive, ride, mileage, all other things should be so similar I doubt you'd be able to tell one make from another if you were blindfolded and taken for a ride.

I think alot of people just buy Dodges for the motors. The Hemi and Cummins are awesome. I wouldn't want one with any other engine. I bought the 06 Dodge new and my only complaint is the paint. Just doesn't seem as durable. The Fords just keep going and going without any issues. Ill have to say I hate the new aluminum Fords, but if you find a 2010 in nice shape, snap it up and run it forever.

The Ram is the better truck for overall driving but it lacks in towing and has the chronic droopy butt towing anything over 2000 lbs without helper bags. The Hemi is definitely better because it isnt (yet) direct injected. Both Chevy and Ram has 8 speed transmissions now and both are excellent. The Ram will be cheaper anyday over a Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back