Chevy Dealer O.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's opinion on the oil that the Chevy Dealers use for oil changes? Standard dexos 5W-30 and oil filter? Just got a free oil change during a rotation because I didn't request it. Still had 50% left on the OLM with synthetic oil and Mobil1 filter in it beforehand.

Many dealers will buy whatever bulk conventional they can get cheapest at any given time. Others stick with a particular type. So don't assume you got a dexos1 approved oil. The dealer I go to (I had several free changes and just used the last one - from now on I'll be doing it myself with Synpower) uses Mobil conventional.

They use Goodwrench oil, I believe, unless you opt for Mobil ! (Please correct me if I'm wrong) By the way, I think Goodwrench is also an ExxonMobil- made product

The OLM was probably designed around oils meeting the Dexos spec, so run it until the OLM comes on.

Assuming it's up to the dexos spec, anyhow.

Last edited:
So you had synthetic and an M1 filter on there with 50% left on the OLM? And they messed up and did an oil change using their bulk oil and probably an AC Delco filter? And the way they "made it right" was not charging you? If that's correct, you're a lot more forgiving than me. I'd be talking up a storm and wouldn't take anything less than retail price for however many quarts of whatever you had in there, plus an M1 filter, plus something for my time an trouble.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
They use Goodwrench oil
Doubt it. They buy their bulk oil from the cheapest local supplier.

The cost to ship cases of Goodwrench oil all the time would be astronimical. I can see a few cases of specialty fluids but not oil since they go through so much of it.

Cheaper to have it hauled in with a truck and pumped into a drum.

We have 2 oil and fuel suppliers here. Shell and Chevron. Every shop that I have ever worked at got their oil from one of these suppliers.

Not that it's bad oil, I'm sure it's fine but unless you see bottles of Goodwrench oil or Motorcraft etc it's a safe bet that they used oil from a drum.

They use Goodwrench oil, I believe,

That's Mr. Goodwrench to you!
lol.gif

Stop for a sec.

You guys are assuming a lot of things.

The OP has a 2011 Equinox, that car takes Dexos 1 oil. The GM dealership should have refilled the car with a Dexos 1 approved oil, which is likely a full synthetic product. Did you check your paperwork to see what they put in?

We have a seperate tank for the dexos here, and every 2011 model gets that oil when in the shop. We use bulk Valvoline for all other regular oil changes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Stop for a sec.

You guys are assuming a lot of things.

The OP has a 2011 Equinox, that car takes Dexos 1 oil. The GM dealership should have refilled the car with a Dexos 1 approved oil, which is likely a full synthetic product. Did you check your paperwork to see what they put in?

I have to agree with Critic....they should be using a dexos 1 oil. However I think there was a post about a Goodwrench Semi-Syn wasn't there?

Regardless, I'd run till I was comfortable and then go back to what you want.

They put in a Semi-synthetic dexos oil and AC Delco filter. I have a synthetic O.C. with Mobil1 and an Mobil1 oil filter coming to me the next time in with our dealer. Joe Self in Wichita seems to do a great job taking care of customers; even when they mess up:)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They use Goodwrench oil
Doubt it. They buy their bulk oil from the cheapest local supplier.

The cost to ship cases of Goodwrench oil all the time would be astronimical. I can see a few cases of specialty fluids but not oil since they go through so much of it.

Cheaper to have it hauled in with a truck and pumped into a drum.

We have 2 oil and fuel suppliers here. Shell and Chevron. Every shop that I have ever worked at got their oil from one of these suppliers.

Not that it's bad oil, I'm sure it's fine but unless you see bottles of Goodwrench oil or Motorcraft etc it's a safe bet that they used oil from a drum.

Goodwrench oil is available in bulk to Gm dealerships.
It is Exxon/mobil product.
Not to say all Gm dealerships use this, we used to use Quaker State for years, the Goodwrench oil has been competitively priced in recent years, so we have been using that.

Originally Posted By: rat
We have a seperate tank for the dexos here, and every 2011 model gets that oil when in the shop. We use bulk Valvoline for all other regular oil changes.

Same at our local dealership....

Originally Posted By: vwalburn
They put in a Semi-synthetic dexos oil and AC Delco filter. I have a synthetic O.C. with Mobil1 and an Mobil1 oil filter coming to me the next time in with our dealer. Joe Self in Wichita seems to do a great job taking care of customers; even when they mess up:)

So they didn't charge you for the one they did and next time they will use your prefered brand and no charge for that either? Sounds fair to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back