Cheapest route to a high performance car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
the MT82 Manual Transmissions in the 2015 and later Mustangs were made in China and they were shipped in. ... Ford did a major upgrade on the MT82 Transmissions in the 2018 and 2019 Mustangs that supposedly addresses the durability issues

The early 2018 MT82 has weak shift forks and lots of guys broke them, and weren't even banging gears. Ford had a TSB on it and replaced them under warranty.

Ford also screwed up the MT82 for 2018+ because they changed the gear ratios and 4th gear became 1:1 instead of 5th gear like in the pre-2018 MT82.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I'm talking something that will go and stop like a race car. Back in my day it was a early Fox body Mustang due to the short wheelbase and huge aftermarket for suspension, brakes, and Small Block Ford parts. Is that still the case?

The Car you seek, is simply one that you enjoy driving, but with Up rated Tires and Brakes.
...maybe some of the unnecessary weight removed.

If you are good with a wrench, an E39 BMW M5 is another great option for a car that can be daily driven, has lots of power and handles amazingly well. Some of the parts are not cheap though, I speak from experience on that.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Very nice Miata engine, love all the attention to detail like foam trim on air box to keep the heat out.

Cujet is involved in the aviation industry. that kind of work and detail is expected.

I found a 1993 Z28 for $1200, well preserved but with heads and such removed.
It was an automatic. ☹ï¸
Will probably go the C5/C6 Corvette route after considering replies.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
I don't think a Fox body mustang is really practical nowadays, most are thoroughly used (or trashed) so you're most likely going to being spending a large chunk of change just to get the car back to square one in terms of reliability. Newer V8 Mustang's are nice but anything with a Mustang and a GT attached to it commands a hefty premium. I think the Infiniti G35/37 and Nissan 350Z/370Z offer a lot of performance for what they're going for now. You can get a 6 speed manual early G35 coupe with 280 hp for peanuts compared to that they where new, sure it's not a V8 but the VQ engines where the best V6's made in their day. There was a stretch of about 10 years where a Nissan VQ was on Wards 10 Best engines list for nearly every year, which no Porsche, BMW, LS, etc engine can come close to matching.

I owned an lt1, ls1, ls7, and vq37 vehicle. The Ls1 is by far best bang for the buck. In stock trim, the vq37 is newr maxed without forced induction. You might get 30-40whp more with a tune and full Boltons. Even then, its 330whp or so. Ls1 can lay down 4-430whp with just a FAST, LTs, a cam and tune. Or about $3500 if you have all the work done and go high end. Couple that with a c5 chassis, it's just light years ahead of a 370 or similar in performance. Not even close.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

I owned an lt1, ls1, ls7, and vq37 vehicle. The Ls1 is by far best bang for the buck. In stock trim, the vq37 is newr maxed without forced induction. You might get 30-40whp more with a tune and full Boltons. Even then, its 330whp or so. Ls1 can lay down 4-430whp with just a FAST, LTs, a cam and tune. Or about $3500 if you have all the work done and go high end. Couple that with a c5 chassis, it's just light years ahead of a 370 or similar in performance. Not even close.

The OP is looking for the cheapest route to a high performance car I believe and used C5's are great but I wouldn't really call them cheap. Up here in the great white north the absolute cheapest C5 I could find locally is an 02 for 19K CAD, with others going for 23K - 39K CAD. Paying 20K CAD for a car that's pushing 20 years old I wouldn't really call cheap, for that price you could buy 3 or 4 G35's in decent shape.

Originally Posted by Ws6

The OP is looking for the cheapest route to a high performance car I believe and used C5's are great but I wouldn't really call them cheap. Up here in the great white north the absolute cheapest C5 I could find locally is an 02 for 19K CAD, with others going for 23K - 39K CAD. Paying 20K CAD for a car that's pushing 20 years old I wouldn't really call cheap, for that price you could buy 3 or 4 G35's in decent shape.

OP lives in Houston, TX, USA.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by sloinker
If it was me I wouldn't go cheap. I would invest and have a good time with my investment. Don't wad it up. Last year Viper ACR with racing package. Almost unbeatable on the road course. Pretty decent on a drag strip, and has air conditioning for date night. Has the drivers aids now so you don't kill yourself being not enough driver for the car. Many deaths attributed to the earlier Vipers, too much car for amateurs.
https://www.hendrickperformance.com...y_81_miles__-used-1c3bdeczxhv500710.html

Sure, it's a great roadcourse car, and that's mostly due to finally sorting the chassis out, not driver aids per se. They're even more fun with 400 rwhp more.

But it doesn't really fit with the theme of the thread.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

OP lives in Houston, TX, USA.
[Linked Image]

Not a Z06 ... but the price is right for a car someone wants to put some modification money into. And in today's environment, might be able to get some money off the asking price.

Vettes !!

I know zip about mods and building fast cars, but these 'out of the box' (for years) have stacked up well with the test track runs against $150k to well over $200k supercars.
I think much of that advice is on the money !
Bang for buck is icing .....

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyIan
There was a track package for the 2010-13 V6 Mustangs. The basically got the GT's brakes and suspension, and quicker ratio steering. You would avoid the V8 tax and be able to thrash it on a road course without upgrading too much. If you are in shape and just want to race something silly fast, a go kart has the best price/performance ratio.

The 4.0 Pony Package. Good car!!

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I found a 1993 Z28 for $1200, well preserved but with heads and such removed.
It was an automatic. ☹ï¸
Will probably go the C5/C6 Corvette route after considering replies.

I had a 2008 C6 Z06 for about 3 years, incredible car with incredible potential. They can be had for a real bargain now and are a great place to start for a performance build.

Agreed. My mom has a 3.6 FWD 200. It will annihilate the tires in 1st, chirp and spin part of the way through 2nd, and try to torque steer you into a ditch. Deceptively quick little car though.

Yep. Ours is a rocketship. Total sleeper. 283hp

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well there's the AMG line. Some like the E55 AMG as you can do things to it more easily than the E63. Now it's basically tuning.

For pure 0-60 speeds, it's probably hard to find much that can beat a Tesla.

I don't think a Tesla would be anywhere near the cheapest route...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back