Cheap Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Timex Expedition quartz watches that are around 15 years old and still keep great time. I like mechanical watches as well, so I bought a Seiko5 off Amazon a few months ago for $62 shipped. Of course If not worn every day the mechanical watches will stop unless you put them on a winder.
I have an Invicta quartz I received as a gift and surprisingly it’s as accurate as any watch I own. You should be able to find dozens of inexpensive and very accurate quartz watches in your price range.

800px-Casio_F-91W_digital_watch.jpg

Casio F-28W, $11 on line. Reliable, easy to remember how to set, no clutter, no frills, but tells everything a watch should tell with no need to push buttons to access seconds or date.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
There are tons of G-Shocks around $50. They make great "beater" watches and are available in a variety of colors. The only issue is that you can't wear them when you're dressed up. The selection on Amazon is huge and they typically have free returns in case you find out it's too big or too small.

The DW6900 is one of the most iconic G-Shocks ever and still a top-seller, and can even be had in an atomic version:

DW6900-1V_large.png

DW6900...it's what's on my wrist everyday.

I quit buying cheap watches, because the ones I did buy didn't last. Timex, Casio, not junk watches, but none lasted more than five years. Not good value in my books; as I've said before in this forum, only the rich can afford to buy junk. Us poor people need tools that last.

The SEIKO (Casio) G-Shocks are one of the most widely counterfeited items on earth. Make sure yours wasn't.

Most of the "modern" inexpensive mechanical watches, like the one posted earlier in this thread ("skeleton" is a mechanical watch with a visible movement), are made in the Russian Federation; they had a half dozen watch factories in the old CCCP days, and they are of good quality. Timekeepers are not one of the areas the Commies left to chance; the same factories also made all the military timepieces, including the Space Agency ones.

My "everyday" watch is a Orient Blue Makko. Fifteen years and still going strong. The most popular watch amongst scuba divers, about $150. Mechanical, no batteries, made in Japan. Orient made all SEIKO's mechanical watches, and still do, a few years ago SEIKO bought them from the founder's family.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

My "everyday" watch is a Orient Blue Makko. Fifteen years and still going strong. The most popular watch amongst scuba divers, about $150. Mechanical, no batteries, made in Japan. Orient made all SEIKO's mechanical watches, and still do, a few years ago SEIKO bought them from the founder's family.

Blue Mako is my EDC watch as well. Mine's been running a bit fast lately. I guess it could use some adjusting.

I don't wear watches anymore. Never really cared for them, but when working on the Ambulance, I needed one.

My favorite was a Casio, don't remember the model number, but was a cheap one ( Simple, thin watch. Time, day and date on display, 50 or 100m water resistant. I think I had that thing for 7-8 years, several batteries and a few replacement bands. Not sure what happened to it.

I was just looking online and can't seem to find any cheap ones from Casio like this. My son would like something like this, anybody have an idea?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
One of the "Infinity"watches I have is pretty much like this Casio that gets great reviews

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-Watch...i-/201240632465

?epid=144524058&hash=item2edae05c91:g:ROMAAOSwdAxZbnpK

Just for future reference, always delete the "question mark" and everything after it, when posting.

Thanks.I didn`t know that.Appreciate the helpful hint.

Should mention I`m not into digital watches , just hour,minute, and second hand. And a date , but thats not essential.

My daughter (14) has the Casio Men's Sport Analog Dive Watch:

and it's sibling, the Casio MRW200H-2BV Neo-Display, same watch different color:

Unusual for a teen to have an analog watch now days.

Both are less than $20 each.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Did you ask if they're wearing it ironically?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Most of the "modern" inexpensive mechanical watches, like the one posted earlier in this thread ("skeleton" is a mechanical watch with a visible movement), are made in the Russian Federation; they had a half dozen watch factories in the old CCCP days, and they are of good quality. Timekeepers are not one of the areas the Commies left to chance; the same factories also made all the military timepieces, including the Space Agency ones.

Most of them are made in China.

A lot of Russian watch makers went out of business after the fall of Soviet Union. Vostok and Raketa are probably the only surviving one.

Most watches are made in China. Even if it's "Swiss Made" or "Made in Japan" it will use a lot of Chinese parts.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
My daughter (14) has the Casio Men's Sport Analog Dive Watch:

and it's sibling, the Casio MRW200H-2BV Neo-Display, same watch different color:

Both are less than $20 each.

I also have a problem with watch bands not being large enough. I have the top watch and it's one of the few where the band is actually long enough, and the price is right. Good watch to knock around with and not cry over if it gets damaged. The face isn't overly large. The one negative I will make against the watch is that the lume isn't that great so it's not a good watch for seeing the time in the dark.

Another option may be one of the Tough Solar watches from Casio:
91-MoCrRXML._UY500_.jpg

They're not G-Shock per se but they're supposed to be tougher than the basic watch. Solar powered, the face is a bit bigger and the band is also long enough for my wrist. Generally under $50. I have one with orange lettering rather than white. Not much lume on this one as well, but the LCD display in the dial can be set to show the time and it does light up so it's a good compromise.

What is the cheapest watch with

1) Solar (aka no batteries needed ever, so no need to crack it open)
2) Atomic accuracy aka sync with atomic signal
3) scratch proof crystal
4) date display
5) Full analog dial
6) Metal watch

I suspect something like this will cost 4X over the budget but may be I am wrong. I purchased Seiko solar few years ago but it does NOT have the atomic accuracy and crystal now has minor scratches.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

3) scratch proof crystal
4) date display
5) Full analog dial
6) Metal watch

I suspect something like this will cost 4X over the budget but may be I am wrong. I purchased Seiko solar few years ago but it does NOT have the atomic accuracy and crystal now has minor scratches.

Some tough criteria. Something like a Casio Oceanus may fit, but costs $400+. The scratch proof crystal is a tough one because it would most likely mean sapphire. Scratch proof, but also possibly more fragile. and more expensive to replace if it does break.

Seiko 5 gets good reviews but I`ve stuck with quartz watches they are more accurate. Also in the past couple years have stuck with Zulu or Nato watch straps.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

3) scratch proof crystal
4) date display
5) Full analog dial
6) Metal watch

Here ya go....claims to be accurate to within 1 second every 10 millenia or so...but not cheap.
eek.gif
Glad I'm not on that tight of a schedule. http://seikousa.com/collections/astron/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back