Inexpensive watch recommendations

Just about anything will scratch a plastic crystal. A mineral crystal like the Timex has will resist scratches. I've had very good luck with Timex watches for 50 years or more.

If you have had terrible luck cheaping out, then, perhaps, it is time to stop cheaping out.

For $200, you can get a good analog watch from Casio or Seiko that is solar powered (no battery failures) well made and durable. The Seiko “hardlex” glass crystal is much better than regular (cheap) glass.

I've got several Seiko watches, including two bought on sale (for about half of list price, one on Amazon, one at Costco) and each of them was $200 or less.

The simple Casio G Shocks are what you seek.

Edit do add:
I had this one for a few years and liked it so much I upgraded to the solar version, I've been daily wearing it for about 7 years.

Just have to "watch" for sales on Amazon.
Pre Christmas, I scored a Citizen Eco-drive Chronograph from Amazon. Retail about $350.00, 70% off sale + another $150.00 of for getting their credit card, my final price....about $12.89!

Last edited:
Just about anything will scratch a plastic crystal.
And 30 seconds with a polishing cloth will generally have it looking new again.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy something modern with plastic, but my ever day wear Datejust has one. At the moment it’s looking a bit dinged up, but I’ll probably polish it in a week or two(I haven’t in a while) and it will present nicely. The deeper gouges take a bit more work and I only take care of them infrequently.

Glass is still easy enough to scratch and there’s not a lot that can be done to fix it. Sapphire is difficult to scratch, but also is extremely brittle…

For $50 I would go with a Casio Duro. 200m WR, screwdown crown, timing bezel, stainless steel case and back, mineral glass crystal. 3-year battery. Because the watch is 200m WR it's suitable for watersports and that's why I gave one to my nephew. I put it on a $15 NATO strap. There's no inexpensive watch with a decent bracelet or strap. He's had the Duro for a few years.

Last edited:
Here is what $200 (sale price) gets you.

IMG_9281.jpeg

It’s my everyday watch. Solar powered. Very accurate. I actually use the chronograph and the bezel at work for timing/planning.

There are some scratches in the bezel (even though it’s ceramic, I’ve bumped it into things) and the band has some fine scratches, but it has held up well in daily use and keeps flawless time.

So, if a $50 watch lasts three months, but a $200 watch lasts three years, guess which one is lower cost?

If you have had terrible luck cheaping out, then, perhaps, it is time to stop cheaping out.
For $200, you can get a good analog watch from Casio or Seiko that is solar powered (no battery failures) well made and durable. The Seiko “hardlex” glass crystal is much better than regular (cheap) glass. ...
Another option is the Seiko 5, purely mechanical. It will run for many years without any maintenance and never need a battery. It uses a 7S26 movement which is the least expensive of the mechanical movements having good accuracy and reliability.

Last edited:
Back