Cheap Synthetic (supertech) vs big brand conventional, your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
4500 miles is nothing for most oils in most engines … what's the engine and use patterns ?

For the most part 4500 miles is nothing for a quality synthetic oil. With M1 oils I have never gone less than 10K for the last 41 years.

Supertech synthetic.
It seams to be good oil, I use it in my mower, generator and pressure washer

You have nothing under warranty and the OP does or does not ?
Some ST versions have OEM approvals … question is too broad as it stands …

Nope,never. I have no probs splurging an extra buck or so for an oil from a proven company. Cars are expensive,oil is cheap!

When my stash is used up I plan on just keeping SuperTech oil in stock. No more rebates, no more stashes, just one simple oil kept in stock.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Whammo
Would you choose Supertech Synthetic or a big name conventional oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, QS) if they were the same price and were used for 4,500 oci?

Right now, QSUD $17.97 so I bit on that. I like the low NOACK of it. ST supposedly I heard from Gokhan ST Synthetic is using base stock from XOM. Supposedly ST Synthetic has low NOACK also. Its $15~ too

For $2 more I'll take QSUD all day long.

This is an example of flawed logic. You are not getting close to 30% better performance. Just say you like paying more for a green bottle that is better justification.

The price difference is 11%. And for that I'm getting more moly, and a much better NOACK value.

So for only $2 or 11% more I'm getting 400% more moly and a 60% lower Noack value. The green bottles adorned with gold caps are pretty nice too
thumbsup2.gif

ST 5w20 Synthetic

QSUD 5w20

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
With M1 oils I have never gone less than 10K for the last 41 years.

10k! I'd be changing oil every 5 years (don't drive much).

I use an oil that meets spec and Supertech doesn't so I would take Havoline ProDS in 6qt box for 19.95. Heck if I wanted conventional then Havoline conventional is 14.95 for 6qt. box.

I believe the choice posed by the OP was between ST Syn and big name conventional oils. If forced to choose, Super Tech Synthetic. It meets tougher specs. diG2 for instance. I'd still pick ST Syn over QSUD, even at QS current $18 price. It's still $2 more than the Warren oil and meets no more specs.

Originally Posted by wemay
If forced to choose, Super Tech Synthetic. It meets tougher specs. diG2 for instance.

Approved
wink.gif

Last edited:
Castrol Magnatec GTX 10$ with subscribe and save from Amazon delivered at the door. I'm done with the rebates etc

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Can I pick sub-$10 after rebate synthetic, like PP or M1? Or $1/quart clearance syn, like Magnatec or M1 TDT? Those $1 ones are what I use the most!

Yes, we will let you choose autozone clearance oil Bullwinkle
wink.gif

Then you will get paid for using the oil after you get rebate
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
ST Syn
5w-30 = SN+, D1G2

Originally Posted by wemay
I believe the choice posed by the OP was between ST Syn and big name conventional oils. If forced to choose, Super Tech Synthetic. It meets tougher specs. D1-G2 for instance..

Correct answer here.

I love ST. Don't use it in everything, but I always keep a few 5 qt jugs onhand.
An older neighbor has a 2012 or 13 Camry; she's 90 and doesn't drive much.
She gets an annual service even though she won't hit 5K miles.

Other friends have high mileage Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans.
ST HM Synthetic to the rescue!

I see zero reason to use conventional oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back