Cheap Dash Cam or a recording cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Darn, I forgot to update this post!

Dash cam that SirTanon posted is working great. Sits out in the Phoenix sun all day. Never have to touch it, records on its own, shuts off on its own.

Awesome, how much did you pay for the memory card? I might get another for 2nd vehicle.
$14 on Amazon for a Samsung 32gb Micro SD

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Micro Center has a model I paid either $20 or $30 for. Super, super cheap.

Can you please share a link for it?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Micro Center has a model I paid either $20 or $30 for. Super, super cheap.

Can you please share a link for it?

I think this is the one
cheers3.gif

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467721/U-Drive_DVR_Dash_Cam
I am very strongly inclined to believe that I paid $19.99 for mine.

I been using this one and it seems to do well:
https://www.amazon.com/Hisili-Dashboard-...ywords=dash+cam

However, I'm not liking how it appears too obvious. Having the chrome look around the lens makes it more eye catching. Don't know how much these dash cams invite break-in theft. My other toys go out of site when I'm away from the vehicle, with the exception of the ham radio antenna.

Thinking about getting the type that replaces the rear view mirror, some snap onto the existing mirror. Then some of those also have an additional/2nd cam for rearward view either from inside the vehicle or an external cam mount (i.e. license plate frame mount). Then some have back-up cam where the power can be tapped from the backup light and some have a transmitter so a cable wouldn't have to be ran from the back up to the head unit.
Sooner or later I may pull the trigger for one of the mirror type, just many out there so an upgrade is going to take time.

add: Maybe for the time being I should darken out the chrome area surrounding the lens with a little black Sharpie
eek.gif

Last edited:
Yesterday - ordered & received a mirror dash cam (front & rear). Same day delivery Amazon.
I like everything about it way better except installing the rear view took a few hours or so. Because being a SUV I ran the cable tucked along the side of the headliner, through the existing harness within the rubber accordion weather tube off back into the lift hatch, through the lift hatch - mounted next to license plate light.
The only part of the cable to be seen is the little bit from the mirror straight up into the headliner (power and rear view. Tapped the extra wires to the reverse light so when put into reverse the mirror view will priority switch full rear view with the color guidance lines. Auto switch back when taken out of reverse.
Although I feel I couldn't do a better clean install, I'd rather not do it again
mad.gif

The better part is when finished, the salmon in the smoker was just coming out of the smoker. Clean up, sit for lunch with some smoked salmon on the side with a cool drink. Share with the doggie and a short nap w/doggie. Give the back a break.
Next time, if there ever is next time, consider wireless
grin.gif

Last edited:
I have bought this one and was delivered today:

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_375217.html

Will install and update
smile.gif

I bought the same one from the gearbest.
Dunno if I'm just unlucky.

My cam will not keep the date, keeps resetting to default. I think the capacitor is not working.
The video is too dark.
Eventually, they refund my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back