Cheap Dash Cam or a recording cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I am leaning towards 32GB for now, but need to see what is being recommended by the camera manufacturer.

A119s, with a capacitor and no GPS is the best bang for your buck in the sub 100 dollar cams. Add a hardwire kit, CPL filter, and a high endurance micro sd card and you should be set. Dont cheap out on the micro sd card, the regular cards cannot constantly read and write as well as the high endurance cards.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
A119s, with a capacitor and no GPS is the best bang for your buck in the sub 100 dollar cams. Add a hardwire kit, CPL filter, and a high endurance micro sd card and you should be set. Dont cheap out on the micro sd card, the regular cards cannot constantly read and write as well as the high endurance cards.

Thanks, so if I bump the budget to $100 then I have a lot of options, I guess?

There's plethora of information and so MANY options out there in terms of cams, I am surprised and confused!

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: mikered30

Thanks, so if I bump the budget to $100 then I have a lot of options, I guess?

There's plethora of information and so MANY options out there in terms of cams, I am surprised and confused!

To make matters worse, there is a whole market out there flooded with counterfeit/knock off cameras and micro sd cards, so buy directly and avoid low quality resellers. The a119s has remarkably great night time quality for the price, it is a great camera. The early gen 119s with GPS had power supply issues, so I would avoid those but it is supposedly fixed.

Thanks, so where do suggest to buy? Like well known online sellers and not ebay?

Amazon - make sure whatever you buy is through 'Prime' - It will be shipped out of an Amazon warehouse, and be 100% covered by their guarantee/return policy.

Thanks, so where do suggest to buy? Like well known online sellers and not ebay?

Dash cam talk website has a list of safe sellers for each camera, for example the a119s: https://dashcamtalk.com/a119/#Where_to_purchase_for_lowest_price

Before you buy any camera, search YouTube for the camera you are interested in, you will see a lot of day Time footage is excellent for any of the new cameras but they really separate themselves on the night footage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bought a Pilot dashcam from Walmart. Works good for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS8iQcM-X0o

I have it plugged into the outlet that goes on and off with ignition so it turns off with the key. Also saves the recording if there is a loud noise or a strong g-force

Mind asking, how much did you pay for it? Thanks

Paid $40 for it

Sorry it took so long. Here is some footage I recorded today on my drive home from work. Super bright today, so I apologize up front for the glare.

Also, I just noticed that the clock is off. Not sure why. I might have hit something on it the other day when I was fidgeting with it. The recorded date is actually 6/26/2017 @ approximately 6pm.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Thanks SirTanon, I ordered the one you linked to.

Did you receive yours and if so, how are you liking it?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Sorry it took so long. Here is some footage I recorded today on my drive home from work. Super bright today, so I apologize up front for the glare.

Also, I just noticed that the clock is off. Not sure why. I might have hit something on it the other day when I was fidgeting with it. The recorded date is actually 6/26/2017 @ approximately 6pm.

Thanks for sharing the video. Is your camera has a capacitor in it? Also, how much was the memory card?

Since I don't commute everyday, I am planning to pull the trigger on it.

Thanks SirTanon, I ordered the one you linked to.

Did you receive yours and if so, how are you liking it?
I received it but I thought it used an SD card, turns out it uses a Micro SD card so I ordered one. Should come in tomorrow afternoon.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Thanks for sharing the video. Is your camera has a capacitor in it? Also, how much was the memory card?

Since I don't commute everyday, I am planning to pull the trigger on it.

Honestly, I don't know if it has a battery or a capacitor - I'm assuming battery since they're cheap and this camera was very inexpensive, but I can't really say for sure. I suppose I'll know once August rolls around, since the summer heat will be brutal...

The card is a MicroSD, and I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I know I've seen 16GB microSD cards for under $9 and 32GB ones under $16. The one I got is a Class-10 Ultra microSD, which is a bit more pricey than the basic ones.

It's a decent cheap cam.. good if you don't want to blow a bunch of cash.

I am still waiting for a good deal on A119, because of so many good reviews and positive feedback.

I am planning to spend a bit extra so that this thing can last for a bit. Fingers crossed, also SirTannon I liked the results of your videos.

Honestly, it's more than enough for me, but I am not sure if heat is going to boil down this puppy!
smile.gif

Darn, I forgot to update this post!

Dash cam that SirTanon posted is working great. Sits out in the Phoenix sun all day. Never have to touch it, records on its own, shuts off on its own.

Darn, I forgot to update this post!

Dash cam that SirTanon posted is working great. Sits out in the Phoenix sun all day. Never have to touch it, records on its own, shuts off on its own.

Awesome, how much did you pay for the memory card? I might get another for 2nd vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back