Changing Oil Brand and Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Noack is meaningless in preventing intake valves deposits. Oil is going to sleep past the valve stem seals by design. The ash content of the oil is what really matters. Pennzoil platinum euro LX makes claim to reduce inlet valve deposits. Look up the oil on Pennzoils website. VW 504/507 are what you want for intake valves deposit reduction.

Any data backing up your claim that NOACK is meaningless in preventing intake tract deposits?

It makes sense to me that the more stable an oil is, the less will be evaporated/volatilized and drawn out through the CCV system and back into the intake.

I have no data. Are there any published SAE paper(s) on it?
My opinion is that a low saps oil which has a lower ash content is more meaningful to offset deposits than a high ash content oil.
It seems many people concentrate on NOACK and totally overlook ash content.

OK, but what about a low NOACK oil which ALSO has low SAPS like the Dexos 1, Gen 2 formula of Ravenol DXG 5W-30 (@ 6.0 volatility)?

An SA of 0.77 is not low enough?!?!

Remember, us T/GDI engine owners have NOTHING AT ALL to wash off the backs of the intake valves, unless we've added an aftermarket auxiliary port injection system on top of our GDI systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back