Changing from 5W-30 to 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air intake leak after the MAF sensor? Maybe a cracked intake boot? I had that in a Camry couldn't figure it out and that's what it was. Big cracks on both of them on the bottom where not visible. Messes up the computer's "brain." Go back to the 5-30 next time and mileage should go back up if it is the oil.

I made the same switch 2 years ago in a 2001 XC70 with the 2.4 liter 5-cylinder light pressure turbo. There was no noticeable change in everyday gas mileage, and the long highway trip mileage in the hot summer months actually improved.

It's not the oil doing this, it has to be mechanical. Those even remotely thinking that a 0w40 will cause 10mpg loss need to go check your dipstick because it ain't working right. Lol.

My owners manual has a viscosity range from 5w30 ---> 15w50 depending on ambient temps. No way the auto manufacturer would allow this oil thickness if it dropped MPGs even 2-3 points. That's just crazy talk. The pumping loss increase isn't noticeable to that extent from thicker oil. Most of the time, there isn't even a difference worth calculating.

Subscribed for more info on this gas guzzler.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira

At first blush, the engine seems to like the 0W-40. It's quiet and strong.

This effect causes me to loose MPG every time. When I feel the power of the engine, I want to exploit it. On average, I will loose 10mpg due to lead foot.

No. It’s not the oil. Careful tracking of MPG (every single fill up since I bought the car is recorded) in both my Volvo’s shows no difference between a 5W30 and a lighter 0W40 like the M1. I did notice a slight hit in the T5 (FWD) when running Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 but I’m not certain it was statistically significant.

Originally Posted By: Kira
REAL BRIEF:
I drive a 2007 Volvo V70 base (non-turbo) 2.4l I-5 auto.
The car calls for 5W-30 with synthetic being preferred to keep the PCV system clean.

I'm running Mobil1 0W-40 at the moment and it appears my mileage is going down a lot.

I tally mileage the "hard way" monthly. I take total gallons and divide by total miles.

A 500 mile trip garnered me a >17 mpg quick calculation. I usually get 26-27 mpg on such trips.

Is it possible for mileage to take such a hit? I'll resurrect this thread at the end of my month. That's 2 weeks from now.

No WAY going from 30 to 40 cost you 10 mpg. No way.

Has to be something else.

If you drive on roads that are sprayed heavily with deicer like I do, and it has been a few years since you have done your brakes all the way around front and rear, that's where I would start. Remove all 4 wheels, check to see if any pads are seized. I clean and re apply pad lube every year, and my rotors still only last 3 to 4 years.

Or, just jack up each corner and spin a wheel, cept the drive wheels, they might not spin free! Might need to remove wheel on drive axle to inspect.

P.S. Math might be off a little, you would have to keep your foot in the throttle a lot more if calculations are correct.

Last edited:
I just went from 5w30 to 0w40 in my Cherokee and recorded some of the best mileage I've ever calculated on my usual 350mi trip. Of course we are talking about like 0.5 mpg and within margin-of-error. But yeah...0w40 is not going to very appreciably drop mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
I just went from 5w30 to 0w40 in my Cherokee and recorded some of the best mileage I've ever calculated on my usual 350mi trip. Of course we are talking about like 0.5 mpg and within margin-of-error. But yeah...0w40 is not going to very appreciably drop mileage.

My F150's 4.2 V6 is spec'd 5W20 (5W30) and I too just did an OCI with an 0W40 oil (PP EURO). I visited my son a couple of weeks ago, which is about a 250-275 mile round trip. With that trip mileage and what was currently on the odometer, my gas mileage was almost 0.5 mpg better. It's not much, but at least it's not going down. And, my engine has never been as quiet as it is now.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
No. It’s not the oil. Careful tracking of MPG (every single fill up since I bought the car is recorded) in both my Volvo’s shows no difference between a 5W30 and a lighter 0W40 like the M1. I did notice a slight hit in the T5 (FWD) when running Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 but I’m not certain it was statistically significant.

Agreed. For me, switching from PYB 5w-30 in the G37 to Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, with significantly higher HTHS, showed no statistical difference. In fact, as I've mentioned before, I had some worse fuel economy runs on the PYB 5w-30 when spring hit and my foot got heavier.
wink.gif

I run Amsoil 0w40 in all 3 of the family vehicles and none lost any mpg beyond a reasonable margin of error.
In fact, my 2003 Cavalier got the highest mpg I ever recorded from a tank with 0w40, 37.8 mpg!

I went from 5w-30 to Mobil one 0w-40 in my 3.8L Jeep Wrangler. I did not notice any change in gas mileage. I track in on Fuelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back