Ceramic/Wax Freedom of Choice

I have an eighties classic car that has original paint in very, very good condition. I received gift cards from a detailing shop as a gift and wanted to take the car in. The proprietor was pleased to tell me that all full details get a ceramic coat, vs wax. I said that is not what I want, that I prefer the deep look and feel of traditional wax and its inherent capacity to attenuate some small imperfections. Further, I said that I am concerned about the permanence of ceramic, and the difficulty of repairing an application that has gone wrong.

Apparently I am the troglodyte, and quite a few detail shops have abandoned wax. Anyone out there with me on this, or do I have to add this to the "grumpy old man" file. (I'm not really THAT old).

I agree with you!

Get what you want from the detailing shop or simply do it yourself.
You’ll probably enjoy the result better.

The "ceramic" products are not as durable and permanent as the advertisements would lead you to believe. They perform (and wear) similarly to a traditional product, but with a slightly longer lifespan.

I am no expert and I am sure someone is going to tell me I am wrong, but my understanding on ceramic is its better because its sort of cures and bonds to the surface. I wouldn't want a ceramic bonding to an original 1980's enamel either.

I would go with Meguiars M 26 for that rich carnauba gloss. :cool:
M2611_HighTchYllowWax_TopHero_web.png

I have an eighties classic car that has original paint in very, very good condition. I received gift cards from a detailing shop as a gift and wanted to take the car in. The proprietor was pleased to tell me that all full details get a ceramic coat, vs wax. I said that is not what I want, that I prefer the deep look and feel of traditional wax and its inherent capacity to attenuate some small imperfections. Further, I said that I am concerned about the permanence of ceramic, and the difficulty of repairing an application that has gone wrong.

Apparently I am the troglodyte, and quite a few detail shops have abandoned wax. Anyone out there with me on this, or do I have to add this to the "grumpy old man" file. (I'm not really THAT old).
Collinite 915.
Unreal gloss and depth. Especially dark colours

And totally with you.
I put cquarts 3.0 on our new car and prefer the depth and gloss of a carnuba/ sealant
So much better.
The ceramic lasted about 2 years on pur garaged car.
I was ok with that as I went to collinite.

I prefer the ceramics but in your case with a classic car using a regular wax is preferred, especially with the older 60’s and older cars.

Mothers still makes a regular wax if I’m not mistaken.

I use this stuff. Super cheap, easy on and off, and water beads for quite some time after applied. I know, there are better options, but I like it. Plus it smells good. I believe this brand was re-branded and was originally named Kit wax. I bought a couple ceramic kits to try, but haven't got around to wanting to do all the prep work they require.

11596fd6-3a6c-4f5b-a270-bfb64a3743f4.jpg

I use this stuff. Super cheap, easy on and off, and water beads for quite some time after applied. I know, there are better options, but I like it. Plus it smells good. I believe this brand was re-branded and was originally named Kit wax. I bought a couple ceramic kits to try, but haven't got around to wanting to do all the prep work they require.

View attachment 153428
Was my go to back in the day, Kit wax. ;)

Tried some 'ceramic' stuff, didn't care for it. Back to using a couple different versions of Meguiars Ultimate. Spray/Liquid in my case. Liquid once a year, spray after washing.

Back