Centrifuging used gearbox oil increased viscosity?

Hey alls,

So I was approached by a company to try and help them clean up a sample of gearbox oil. They are getting severe levels of contamination (both water and particulate) in a relatively short amount of time due to the environment.

They sent me a 5 gallon pail of their used oil to run through my centrifuge. We used several different methods and tested each pass (pulled a sample of each near the end of each pass).

The first run was 3k rpm @ 180F - 5gph flow rate.

2nd pass was 6k rpm @ the same..

And the 3rd test was 2 passes at 6k rpm.

Particulate count and water was DRASTICALLY reduced as expected... additives appeared to stay in tact for the most part... some minor changes but nothing was flagged (lab tests were performed by the oil manufacturer).

The oddity is the viscosity changes. The dirty base sample had a viscosity of 146 @ 40C. The 3k pass, viscosity increased to 168. The 6k pass increased to 191 and the 2 pass at 6k increased again to 201. The 168 was marked as an "attention" and the 2 others were marked as "action required".

What would cause viscosity to increase? The only thing I can gather is MAYBE oxidation? Relatively high temp and lots of fluid movement... but I don't know and the lab didn't give any rhyme or reason to what would cause it.

The other thought is this isn't an independent lab... it's the manufacturer of the oil (which they purchase the oil from).

Thoughts? We're hoping to get them setup with some form of filtration. Every oil change is costing them $2k and they are getting 2-3 weeks out of it... roughly 129 hours of use.

Thanks for any input.

What is the virgin viscosity?

The viscosity increasing after removing water makes sense to me. Thickening beyond what the virgin viscosity doesn't. How long were these tests? Definitely hot, but if it was only for a few minutes, could it really oxidize that quick?

IMO, independent results are always the best, just in case.

So it was 150 rated oil. The dirty sample showed a 40C viscosity of 146 which was in spec. With each run through the centrifuge, it went up. The first run was only at 3k rpm... 180F temp and roughly 5 gallons per hour through the unit. The first test came back at 168 which was high limit. Moisture level of that sample was down from 824ppm to 50ppm. TAN was down from .95 to .55

The 2nd test was 6k rpm.. 180F and 5gph. (different sample from same drain). Viscosity went up to 191. TAN was down to .47 with this test and moisture content was around 50ppm.

The 3rd test was 2 passes at 6k.. all else the same... just a second pass on the first 6k run. TAN was down to .46, water content was down to 30ppm... viscosity went up again to 201.

It's up in the air yet if they are going to have more testing done. We'll see.

Back