Castrol magnatec 0w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
Castrol themselves say it here:

http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/4053_magnatec_5w40sp_b1802_05.pdf

"Castrol Magnatec ... contains a synthetic ester unique to Castrol. The molecules of the ester are strongly attracted to metal surfaces, forming a film on these surfaces that provides enhanced wear protection in the engine ... remains adhered to internal metal surfaces when the engine is idle or switched off for weeks or months."

That is an incredibly old PDS... things move on.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why 0W-20 ? Just because the manufacturer tells you to ?

Because that's what the manual says to use. Why would I disregard that info?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Castrol themselves say it here:

http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/4053_magnatec_5w40sp_b1802_05.pdf

"Castrol Magnatec ... contains a synthetic ester unique to Castrol. The molecules of the ester are strongly attracted to metal surfaces, forming a film on these surfaces that provides enhanced wear protection in the engine ... remains adhered to internal metal surfaces when the engine is idle or switched off for weeks or months."

That is an incredibly old PDS... things move on.

Yes I agree, it's old. Looks about 2005 to me.

I was just answering a questioned asked, trying to say I didn't pull the word Ester out of my bottom, that it was Castrol that said the E word first. The modern PDS are full of silly phrases like Intelligent Molecules, but if you read a modern Castrol blurb and the old ones, a lot of the claims are the same or similar. But I agree a formula can change, and even if we know what it is today, they could change it on us next week and not tell us.

A lot of posts I have read say it's probably a polar molecule like an Ester. I'm just saying at least we knew it once was a ester, back when Castrol gave us chemistry not just marketing. But times have changed.

Anyway here is another old PDS, this one is dated April 2010. It too says Ester. I wish I had something more modern, I apologize that I don't.

http://www.lubricantsonline.co.za/uploads/653977425_Magnatec_Professional_A3_TDS.pdf

Up to the reader to decide from here. I still think they use esters, but I don't know. If they have changed formulation, I still think it's a good oil that works just as well if not better than before.

I was just answering a questioned asked, trying to say I didn't pull the word Ester out of my bottom, that it was Castrol that said the E word first. The modern PDS are full of silly phrases like Intelligent Molecules, .......

Thanks for the info. Sometimes we just hear things and thats OK, but you actually had some tech papers (marketing language) that actually used the word "ester", which I had never seen Castrol divulge til now. Cool! --------- That's logical since Lubegard Biotech, Hy-per Lube, others have been trying to get people to add esters to their oil for years for "Intelligent Molecules" clinging to surfaces, and Nissan Ester oil is still sold. Redline's and other's polyol ester based oils also add to the history and current usage experience of course.

Best left to chemists/tribologists: "In addition, polyol esters usually have more ester groups than the diesters and this added polarity further reduces volatility and enhances the lubricity characteristics while retaining all the other desirable properties inherent with diesters. " --- http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

I've thought Magnatec was nothing special since polar molecules are bread-and-butter to oil formulators. Makes you wonder if all the other good motor oils have as much sticky polarity action happening. Most can agree that Castrol Magnatec is a solid choice for sure.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Because that's what the manual says to use. Why would I disregard that info?

Its always good to stick to manufacturer's viscosity recommendations. That said, I wouldn't hesitate going up one viscosity grade (0w-30 or 5w-30) in that application if you run the engine hard for extra oil film thickness. Especially if you live in an AL climate.

Originally Posted By: dooscoop32
Doesn't anyone like Castrol SynTec anymore?

I don't know about SynTec, we don't get that here (or not under that name), but when I spoke to a Castrol Tech over the phone, back in the days of plain speaking. He said to me that the Edge 0W-40 and 10W-60 were both Group 3 +4 synthetics, while the Edge 5W-30 was a pure Group 3. I asked him explicitly about Esters, and he said they were no longer used in the Castrol Edge oils. Again, times may change, we all know that.

So it's my understanding that
Edge = Group 3 + 4 or Group 3
Magnatec = Group 2 + 3 + 5 or Group 3 + 5

I don't think that many non-boutique oils use Group 5. Sure Redline do and Penrite do in their 10-Tenths oils, but these aren't as common in the market place as say Edge, M1 and PP/PU/Shell Helix (GTL). I'm not a M1 expert, and feel free to correct me, but I suspect it's a Group 3+4 product too, with Mobil Super Synthetic being Group 3 (again happy to be corrected).

I think most other Semi-Synthetics are Group 2 + 3.

That's why to me Magnatec is so interesting, it is a non-boutique product that contains Group 5, well it did that last time Castrol spoke clearly about such things.

Yes, you can buy Esters as third party additives for your oil, but I mostly don't like the idea of buying a well developed product with a balanced and researched add pack, and then changing it by adding a extra third party product. The assumption is that it will work better, but what if the oil additive pack conflicts with the third party product and the whole system performs worse ? That's why I prefer to trust Castrol to do a good job and give me a well finished and tested product.

Recall Magnatec use to be called Start-Up, from another thread

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2953733

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
~ 4-5 yrs ago, I bought some Castrol Start-Up(IIRC, it was SM/GF-4) on a clearance rack at Pep Boys and used it in my old Firebird. It did well with no startup noises(after the car sat for several months) and allowed the engine to run nice and smooth compared to some older oils that this engine has seen in the past 30 years.

Don't use it if you don't want, I don't care, I have no shares in Castrol. Lots of good oils out there. I have just finally realised that Magnatec a bit different and more interesting than I first gave it credit. Maybe I should have been using it more in my DD than Castrol Edge and therefore saved myself some money. I wasn't racing or going long OCI with the Edge, I was just wasting money. I learnt that from BITOG (thanks all !!), buying the "best" oil is great if you need it, but a waste of money if you don't. I think Edge was made for the heat of the race track, very cold winters or long OCI. But I think Magnatec was made for the cut and thrust of commuting and regular OCI in a regular climate. No problem, I was just wasting my beer money on too good a oil.

I didn't give it much credit at first either because I've been using M1 AFE and M1 EP since my civic went out of warranty and I've been contemplating the idea that if I found myself needing some 0w-20 for some reason and I couldn't find any M1 I would need to be comfortable with a secondary choice.

Well, it's a far more rational thought process than deviating just because you might say so.

I don't think that many non-boutique oils use Group 5.

It is pretty uncommon. Mobil uses "some" in their M1 and Delvac 1 products, whatever "some" might be.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't think that many non-boutique oils use Group 5.

It is pretty uncommon. Mobil uses "some" in their M1 and Delvac 1 products, whatever "some" might be.

Hi Garak,

Yes I must admit I'm not too sure about the Group 5 content of M1, German Castrol 0W-30, and it's replacement Edge 0W-40. I have heard conflicting reports. Plus I also suspect, it depends on the era you are talking about, as we all know there are formula changes. Yes, "some" Group 5 in these products would not surprise me.

Also, Group 5 and Ester, cover a LOT of different chemistry. Is the ester in Penrite 10-Tents Racing oil, the same as the ester in Castrol Magnatec ? I don't know, but I would guess it's not the same and it has been optimised for different jobs.

In the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing, the oil is 100% Group 4 + 5. If I recall correctly the Group 4 PAO doesn't hold the add pack in solution very well, but the Ester helps out here.

In something like Magnatec with a large Group 2 or 3 component, and probably no Group 4, the Ester may be a more focused product with the additive solution chemistry being taken care of by the Group 2/3 component, not the small amount of Group 5 ester, which maybe has only one very special job to do (cling to metal surfaces).

Are some seal conditioners in HM oils esters? Again, I've heard conflicting reports.

But I'm not going to waste too much time double guessing a manufacturer's chemistry. I want a name brand and a product I trust, with the correct specifications and standards, at a good price point. Beyond that my interest is mostly academic. More than half the oils on the shelves will do me fine.

Yes, let's put it this way. Mobil says they use some ester in all their M1 line, and I know it's in one or more Delvac 1 products. Group V was too broad a brush, really. Even esters, as you say, can cover a wide variety of products. And yes, I'd say they'd be there for a variety of reasons, particularly from one product to another.

As for chemistry, I find it a little humorous that, at least up here, the four varieties of Castrol that are A3/B3 A3/B4 have the least flowery language when it comes to claims. There aren't a lot of claims about the latest additive technologies or the magnetic molecules or weird testing. They show the ACEA specs in plain sight, and that's about it.

I also noted something interesting I hadn't seen before about Castrol packaging. As I mentioned, the 5w-30 A3/B4 stuff is labelled just like that: 5w-30 A3/B4. The ILSAC rated black bottle 5w-30 is called 5w-30 US.

Originally Posted By: Garak

As for chemistry, I find it a little humorous that, at least up here, the four varieties of Castrol that are A3/B3 A3/B4 have the least flowery language when it comes to claims. There aren't a lot of claims about the latest additive technologies or the magnetic molecules or weird testing. They show the ACEA specs in plain sight, and that's about it.

I also noted something interesting I hadn't seen before about Castrol packaging. As I mentioned, the 5w-30 A3/B4 stuff is labelled just like that: 5w-30 A3/B4. The ILSAC rated black bottle 5w-30 is called 5w-30 US.

Yes, it's very similar here with the Edge. Simple non-flowery claims, just a weight and a major spec on the front.
Edge 5W-30 A3/B4
Edge 0W-40 A3/B4
Edge 5W-40 SN

When you read the back, you get all the other specs, and interestingly the
0W-40 is API SN, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, etc
while the
5W-40 is API SN, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3, etc

Which brings us back to the discussion we were having in the Euro Oil section here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...c_?#Post3901811

And how 5W-40 Edge is probably Group 3 while 0W-40 Edge is probably Group 3/4/ and maybe some 5.

They are both ACEA A3/B4 and API SN. But the better 0W-40 oil is marked A3/B4 on the front and the 5W-40 is marked SN on the front.

I must admit, all the flowery language on the Magnatec containers and advertisements, very much annoys me. Probably why I always ended up buying Edge.

Yep, I was reading that discussion. The 5w-40 Castrol never got a lot of love here, or even in our stores, despite the fact that it was in more convenient packaging. GC and M1 0w-40, even when only in 1 L bottles, seemed to do the best for the Euro stuff.

The Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 has about a plain, basic label as I've ever seen. And, that's a good thing. I'd certainly consider it if it had some advantages over Delvac 1, but very little does right now, given the pricing regime here. It would probably beat a lot of synthetics for price, but not anything from the Imperial Oil warehouse.

So I've been looking at the Australian Magnatec range of oils, and I have a question. I'll quickly summarise what we have on offer first.

Magnatec 10W-40 (Original)
API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4
Bonds to metal surfaces, Synthetic technology for low and high temperature application

Magnatec 10W-30 (Stop-Start)
API SN, ACEA A3/B4
Cling to engine parts when oil drains down

Magnatec 5W-30 (Fuel Saver)
API SN, ILSAC GF-5
Cling to critical engine parts, Bond to metal surfaces, Synthetic Technology

Magnatec Diesel DX 5W-40
API SN/CF, ACEA C3, dexos-2
Synthetic Technology

So, the words "Synthetic Technology" appear in most product descriptions, but not all. I see this as code words for semi-synthetic, which I assume most of Magnatec range is.

The lack of this wording on the 10W-30 (Stop-Start) makes me think this one is not a semi-synthetic, but just a Group 2 base with the metal bonding Ester added. The lack of wording is on both the web page and the PDS, and I feel they would add the wording if they could, to help sell the product.

Am I reading too much into this?

Thanks

Filled my Scion xB, 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine, with the 0w20 Magnatec. At first - absolutely loved it. But after about 600 miles on oil I started hearing some weird top end noise/rattle during accelerations between 2000-3000 rpm. After 3k rpm other noises cover up the top end noise. Has anyone else noticed increased noises? Previous fill was Castrol EP 5w20, and it was smooth & quiet. Next fill will be Pennzoil 0w20 (Thanks Gena and the Pennzoil Team!). I'd love to see if Pennzoil makes a difference or if I have a mechanical issue...

3400 miles on the current fill of Castrol Magnatec 0w20 btw. Noise/rattle still there, more noticeable while engine gets up to operating temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well he could always listen to irrational, factless OCD babble:
30v0t1i.jpg

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
I read some comments by people on these forums involved somehow with Castrol testing of Magnatec, and specifically the concept of polar molecules clinging to the metal. Sounded like this was developed to work with hybrids a few years back.

It might contain more esters or something similar to stick to metal surfaces. They said it was hard to flush out of engines, proving it was sticking.

I've seen UOAs with this oil and they look great. Castrol makes quality.
Magnetec is pre hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back