Nissan Navara TD Castrol Magantec SP (5W-40) 10,016km on oil, 50034 on vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warranty is about up, and had a UOA carried out to check for silly things like head gaskets etc.

Came back with a monitor for the silicon content.

Truck has the 3.0 litre ZD30 engine. DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, direct injection. It's got a fancy arrangement to keep swirl up where it's got one helical inlet port, and a straight port. At low loads it gets the helical port, at high, both.
Injection is Missan's "M-fire" system, where a dual lift injector squirts a small amount of fuel in to get things hot before injecting the main charge. That's at lowish loads. High loads, and the full charge goes in at once.

Has EGR, and crankcase vent is to turbocharger suction.

Engine has been accused of having too low an included angle between the valves, necessitating small gears, working the timing chain hard.

Engine Oil is Castrol GTX Magnatec SP 5W-40, SM/CF/B3. Marketted as a full synthetic, it's probably GrIII, with their UMA esters. Filter was OEM Nissan (felt end caps). 7.4 litre sump, no make-up or consumption.

Since vehicle was new, I've run Morey's smoke killer every tank, with an equivalent amount of TCW-3 oil.

All values in mg/l, first is tested, second alarm.
Aluminium........5.....20
Calcium.......2971
Chromium.........0.4...10
Copper...........4.....25
Iron............51.....70
Lead.............1.....25
Nickel...........0......3
Phosphorus.....728
Silicon.........15.....15
Sodium...........1.....30
Tin..............2.....35
Zinc...........940

FTIR to ASTM E2412
Water............0.035..0.15 (%w/w)
Soot.............0.017..0.25
Oxidation.......13.8...50
Nitration........7.26..25
TBN.............10.28 (mg KOH/g)
Fuel Dilution....0.5....3.5

Your fuel treatment brew doesn't seem to be affecting the oil any. Nice numbers, lead and copper are low, silicon isn't bad either but I wouldn't mind seeing it come down a bit. Do you know how much silicon is usually present in the VOA for this oil?

TBN, soot look good and there isn't much fuel present. I would imagine you could go 12-14K on your next OCI if you wanted to.

I'm surprised that soot is as low as it is with an EGR engine. With this oil and 10K OCI this engine looks like it'll last 300K+ without a problem.

Wreckerman,
after hearing Terry talk about Lucas and bearings, I was thinking of stopping my mix. But then I thought of the fact that I was going to do a UOA, and kept it up for the change.

I'm pretty happy with the bearing numbers, iron is higher than I'd like...wonder if there's some solvent thing with the "UMA" dry start esters or something.

As to the silicon, there's a mirriad of hose clamps and what not on the induction system. There's oil staing on every engine I've seen (crank-case venitlation is between the air cleaner and the turbo inlet)...there's scope for air and whatnot getting past the filter.

Also, working at a power station with electrostatic precipitators, there is quite a bit of flyash in the air (60% silica, 40% alumina plus traces of other stuff)...maybe something to do with it also.

Might do a VOA with the next sample for comparison.

As to soot, this engine uses a filter element with felt end caps..the caps reputedly provide a bit of "bypass" filtration. Looking at the amountof area available, I'm a bit sceptical on that.

20l drum of the oil or fuel adds? I would run the oil again since bearing wear read so well. Iron will probably come down some if the silicon comes down.

I would think that the felt end caps on filter would act like a bypass, however they will not have a large capacity for holding contaminants.

The fuel additives don't seem to have a big impact here, but maybe try a different additive or just use the 2-stroke oil and see how that affects the UOA. Can you get PowerService or Stanadyne additives? I prefer Stanadyne, but have used PowerService with no ill-affects.

At any rate, the oil seems to be doing a fine job. I see no reason not to use it again.

Wreckernman, yeah, I meant the oil.
Already got 2 gallons of TCW-3.

I've never seen power service or stanadyne around here (doesn't mean that they aren't available). The Moreys has a bug killer, water treatment (disperser I think), and cetane improver.

Shannow,

Analysis numbers remind me of a 3.0L, IDI Mercedes turbodiesel engine and those last a long time. I'd agree you should shoot for a silicon < 10 ppm after 6000 miles. The soot level is low, so that's not the cause of the slightly elevated iron.

Oil has plenty of life left, but I wouldn't extend intervals without adding a true bypass filter, due to the rate of Fe wear. I'd be concerned that would ramp up....

TS

Ted,
10,000km on a PCMO (see previous posts regarding Nissan's oddball requirements) in a turbodiesel is more than enough distance for me to run the oil.

Will chase the potential air ingress this weekend.

Latest results came back today. 10,000km on the oil (10 months), 60,000 on the vehicle.

All values in mg/l, first is this test, second last test, final the alarm.
Aluminium...5.........5.....20
Calcium....2625.....2971
Chromium.... Copper.......3........4.....25
Iron.........29......51.....70
Lead.........2........1.....25
Nickel....... Phosphorus...694.....728
Silicon......14......15.....15
Sodium........4.......1.....30
Tin...........1.......2.....35
Zinc.........892.....940

FTIR to ASTM E2412
Water........0.021....0.035..0.15 (%w/w)
Soot.........0.013....0.017..0.25
Oxidation......15......13.8...50
Nitration......4.74.....7.26..25
TBN............10.6....10.28 (mg KOH/g)
Fuel Dilution...0.5.....0.5....3.5

Was interested in what fuel dilution would be, as the glowplugs were dead for the week leading up to the Oil change.

Differences to last interval (I used the same oil and fuel add).
This time I used SX-Up.
This time I used a can of "Interjection in the last tank before change (vehicle hard starting, I thought a clean might help).
Did an Auto-Rx clean at the end of the change (same because of harder starting...it's in this analaysis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back