Castrol confusion in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen many posts saying Mobil 1 sells cheap in the states; whereas the Castrol sells cheap and often on sale in Canada. (when on sale, $12 for GTX, 24 for edge synthetic, there is another top line edge as well which rarely on sale)
I have a 2006 VW MKV, which needs VW 502 oil.I went to walmart for 2 jugs of castrol syntec 5w-30 think it will be better for winter use ( I am aware that its not VW 502 oil but I change every 6 months/5k miles). and I found out that the 5W-30 Syntec is Made in Canada, the 5w-40 is Manufactured in Canada. It doeant bother me at all as I know its good oil, just confusion.

Last edited:
If you wanna talk confusion, get Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and enjoy a German made oil, which will be better in winter then 5W-30, meet 502 spec, easily last the recommended full OCI, and probably cost the same as 5W-30 Syntec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
...and probably cost the same as 5W-30 Syntec.

Yep, just watch for the quart specials at WM, CT, or Partsource. They do happen. Last time I bought GC, it was just over $6 a quart.

I haven't seen GC on sale for years, literally. The only Syntec grades that ever go on sale around here is the 5w30 and 10w30.

If you wanna talk confusion, get Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and enjoy a German made oil, which will be better in winter then 5W-30, meet 502 spec, easily last the recommended full OCI, and probably cost the same as 5W-30 Syntec.

BINGO!

+100

If you look up the specks for GC you will find it has better specks than 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Mik
I can't speak for the other listed outlets but GC is on sale quite regularly at Canadian Tire.....

Really?
Can't say I've ever noticed that before, but it's great stuff, that GC.

I had a whole bunch of the green 0w30 castrol oil that my neighbor's wife gave me when he died. I traded it to a mechanic for mobil1. Everybody said it was pretty good stuff but I use 5w20 most of the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Syntec 5W-30 is NOT a Euro-spec syn oil!!!

Use GC, or the 5W-40.

I have a 2.5 non turbo engine, should be fine for 8k km

Originally Posted By: Doog
I had a whole bunch of the green 0w30 castrol oil that my neighbor's wife gave me when he died. I traded it to a mechanic for mobil1. Everybody said it was pretty good stuff but I use 5w20 most of the time.

What a terrible waste, unless you got a 10 for 1 deal! It would have sold well on Fleabay. Canada is an 0myitscold/30 land, unless you cook up your engine whilst having breakfast or your car is in a heated garage.
I'm just in Germany which is just a 5allyear/30 or 40 land. Minus 26C is as cold as it gets here, which is OK for a 5W.

Last edited:
"I am aware that its not VW 502 oil...It doesn't bother me at all as I know its good oil, just confusion." quote

It's your engine. Many are replaced early because of this mentality. At least you are helping the economy.

Originally Posted By: 229
"I am aware that its not VW 502 oil...It doesn't bother me at all as I know its good oil, just confusion." quote

It's your engine. Many are replaced early because of this mentality. At least you are helping the economy.

Good point, those VW specs matter a lot for some of their TDI's, but ask for more info on a VW forum because some of their engines prefer a 5/40 when old but were speced for 5/30 and that can put you outside the 50something cat, as it says 5/30 etc. When the VW TDI's get old they drip oil and that can be reduced with a 5/40, or even an HM oil.

I dont think it will hurt anything if I change it out after 5k miles/ 8k km. Yeah its my engine, but its not like my engine is gonna blow because of the oil

Originally Posted By: TERRYDIABLO

I dont think it will hurt anything if I change it out after 5k miles/ 8k km. Yeah its my engine, but its not like my engine is gonna blow because of the oil

You probably are fine but I'd still suggest trying to get Castrol Syntec 0W-30, which will meet all engine specs, work better in winter, and will last the full OCI rather then your 5kMi/8kKm OCI. Even if it costs more it might cost less just because it will last the full interval, whatever it is on your car.

Or you can keep buying what you're buying but all things considered Castrol offers exactly what you want if you wanna listen and try it.

You probably are fine but I'd still suggest trying to get Castrol Syntec 0W-30, which will meet all engine specs, work better in winter, and will last the full OCI rather then your 5kMi/8kKm OCI. Even if it costs more it might cost less just because it will last the full interval, whatever it is on your car.

Or you can keep buying what you're buying but all things considered Castrol offers exactly what you want if you wanna listen and try it.

thx RICECAKE. yeah, I am gonna try 0W-30 in next winter. I live in ur neighbour province ALBERTA, the weather condition isnt that different in urs I guess. the reason I went 5w-30 is I think 5W-40 is a bit thicker for our winter use. (-30, even-40º C) Stay using 5W-40 in summer and use 0W-30 in winter seems to be the best solution.
Thanks again, your post makes sense to me based on evidence.

Last edited:
Never a problem. A 5W-40 is just thicker at operating temperatures. The second number is really how thick it is when the car is "warmed up" so the only reason to run a 40 is when conditions warrant it, like heavily taxing the engine (Ie: racing). You probably won't ever really need a 40 weight oil up here, its not a Baja desert race track in summer. Syntec 0W-30 will probably be more then ample for everything you need, year round. If you want to though, 5W-40 is totally fine in summer. About all it will hurt is your mileage a little.

You should look into Mobil 1 0W-40 if you want a 40 weight oil that will also be a really good winter (0W rated) oil. It will also meet all the VW specifications of your motor. If you can catch it on sale, its also a really great oil to consider using in your engine.

0W-30 at any rate should be perfect in winter, even if lately, our winters here in the West have been pretty mild.

I'm convinced when I buy 0W-30 and full synthetic oils, winter just blows in really mild to spite me for preparing for -50C again, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back