castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
glennc - Yes the original GC here (Formula SLX 03w-30) in 1996 was green and of ester construction (as 10w-60 originally was (as Formula R 15w-50) thirty years ago)

I still have the B1164/96/1 Spec sheet - some data follows as worded;

SAE Grade - 0w-30
KV@100C,cSt = 11.6
KV@40C,cSt = 65
CCS@ -30C,cP = 3150
HTHS = 3.5cP @ 150C
Pour Point = -57C
Base Number mgKOH/g = 8.0

The document states "In addition, Castrol's unique controlled phosphorous and low chlorine additive technology........."

It was like this (green) for at least the first year as I recall (now around 12 years ago) and it was heavily promoted by Castrol. They had two V8Supercars with "Formula SLX" angled spectactularly on the sides - they were primarily green in colour. TV saturation Adverts for it were part of the deal on each V8Supercar race day

I was still field testing two new diesel lubricants for Castrol at that time so I was able to access this "magical" low viscosity lubricant as soon as hit our shores via their Engineering "types". I can say the diesel lubricants survive - one is now called Tection

I think by the second change (now blended in Singapore IIRC)it a was different colour

The last document date I have where it is mentioned is 2000, it was still ACEA A2-98, A3-98, B2-98, B3-98 and API SL/CF quality rated. At that stage allegedly it still had MB, BMW, VW-Audi and Porsche Approvals. However this is truely inaccurate marketing as it was taken off Porsche's List earlier than that and both MB and VW-Audi had stopped using it here about 1998-9

It had been blended in OZ for some time by then and "Germany" was not mentioned anywhere! BP were circling no doubt!

I hope this is of interest

Last edited:
So I'm confused? As mentioned are we refering to the same German Castrol 0w30 that is so hard to come by here in the States??

Current specs last time I checked:

SAE 0W-30: Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz
229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature
pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in
cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck
manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines
where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00,
505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LLA-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine
protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Last edited:
Hi,
Buffman - In response to glennc's question I have provided some HISTORICAL information on the now withdrawn Castrol Formula SLX 0w-30 (known as GC on BITOG) as it was introduced into Australia in 1996! 12 years ago

I cannot make comment on the latest versions!

Castrol "Edge" 0w-40 (the title of the Thread is Castrol 0w-40 - only the Edge version is available in OZ) has a very good reputation in this country - I believe it may be VW-Audi's Service fill here - but as you can see I use another Brand of 0w-40 lubricant

Last edited:
I'm sure the green GC here in the US is a different formulation, as Terry Dyson had it analyzed and it is primarially PAO, not ester. Also, it has different viscosities and includes ACEA B4 and newer VW/Audi ratings like 503.01.

Hi,
Buffman - A real time update!

Castrol Edge 5w-30 is sold here (I've just been to the local store) and it has SM/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4 "qualifications"
No manufacturer Approvals are noted on the container

As well it is a lot cheaper than the other Castrol full synthetics;

Edge 5w-30 = $A49.50 (5 litres)
Edge 0w-40 = $A79.95 (5 litres)
Edge 10w-60 = $A69.50 (5 litres)

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
I'm sure the green GC here in the US is a different formulation, as Terry Dyson had it analyzed and it is primarially PAO, not ester. Also, it has different viscosities and includes ACEA B4 and newer VW/Audi ratings like 503.01.

Gotcha. GC is still being produced also. you can get M07 batches..

Hi,
Sprintman - You've said what I tried to "softly" indicate by refering to the "......than the other full synthetics."- you get what you pay for at this level

Both the PAO based lubricants mentioned have an ester content too I believe making them Grp4/5

Sprintman

Product data sheets below

http://www.castroledge.com.au/PDF/variant_factory_edge_0w40.pdf

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Side by side comparison shows Mobil 1 0w40 is the choice based on approvals. Phosphorous level for Mobil 1 looks good.

Castrol Edge based on cost, $17 per jug cheaper.
HTHS is similiar to both.
Redline cost is off the planet unless you have a mate in the trade.

As Mobil 1 was run in there initially, I would go the Mobil 1.
Not an easy choice.

Mobil 1 0w40
5L cost $89.00
Specifications and Approvals

API SM/SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE Special Oil List
SAAB

Typical Properties
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 78.3
cSt @ 100º C 14
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
Phosphorous 0.1
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230

Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85
Total Base Number (TBN) 11.3
MRV at -40ºC 26242
Viscosity Index 186
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.7

Castrol 0w40
5L cost $72
Specifications and Approvals
API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB-Approval 229.5
Typical Properties
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 79.4
cSt @ 100º C 13.5
Pour Point -54
Total Base Number (TBN) 10.2
MRV at -35ºC 5800
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.7

Last edited:
Castrol is VW 50700 approved- don´t know, by to me as an Audi driver, that is a great advantage ( Long Life O C intervalls)
Kindest regards/Bjorn

Have a look at a new Mobil Super 3000 X2 5W-40, from the Mobil Australia Website.

These range of lubricants which are claimed to be “ultra premium synthetic engine oils, designed to provide outstanding levels of protection and performance.”,

Note these do not carry the Mobil 1 brand name. The product data sheet is below, it is dated March 2008 and it is not in the store shelves yet, as it just recent addition to their range.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_3000_X2_5W-40.asp

I have included this info in the thread as it may be an alternative to the 0w-40 range at a lower cost.

Last edited:
Hi,
virginoil - I was aware that Mobil were about to revamp things a little here (due to the efforts of Caltex, BP & Shell)

I'll check out things next week and update here afterwards but it may well be one of their Group 3 products - no "M1" and the word "Super" tells a story
I do like its viscosity structure too and its price will be reasonable I expect

As we are aware though, this Thread was about Castrol 0w-40 and this is a great Castrol product

Last edited:
Hi,
virginoil - I can confirm that Mobil's Super 3000 X2 5w-40 is a Group 3 product. It will be released within the next 14 days

It will fill a void for Mobil who were in competition with Castrol etc but without a suitable Group 3 competitor. IMHO it is the correct viscosity at the correct time and it will be at the "right" price too

Hi,
Sprintman - Both of my cars have been on M1 0w-40 from new. I put the Boxster on Delvac 1 5w-40 because of the better HTHS vis.
and the heat up here (an overkill!). So, I'll stay with what I have in these engines

If I was to buy a new car and this was the correct viscosity I would use it instead of D1 and M1

Depending on the price I have three engines I will change out D1 from and use it instead (Toyota RAV4, GMV8, Hyundai) as my D1 stocks go down

It appears to have all the correct Manufacturer "qualifications" too

Mobil are directly targeting the Castrol "Edge" range on price as I understand it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back