castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use Castrol 0-40? Their website says it's available, but not where. I would like to try it in my '02 Passat 1.8t. Been using Mobil 0-40, & tried the GC 0-30 with good results this winter. I'm in the Chicago, Illinois area. Thanks for any help.

I think the 'Edge 0W-40' is only availiable off the shelf in Europe, Asia, and Australia, not North America. However, if you go to a US BMW dealer, their 0W-40 is supposedly basically the same thing....did you see Castrol 0W-40 on the US portion of the website? I looked, and couldn't see it....its all over the other ones I mentioned above.....

Sorry, I was just re-reading your post and it looks like you are looking for Castrol 0w-40. It's the Mobil 1 0w-40 that is sometimes available at Advance.

Yeah, the specs on that oil are good (-54 PP, 3.7 HTHS, 10+ TBN), so it looks like it is made from quality components...

bmwoil.jpg

Hi,
it now seems that a number of Oil Companies are following the M1 0w-40 lead with similar viscosity products! The Euro engine manufacturers seem to be favouring them over 5w-40

If only my mate Tooslick was here he could shear them all down to size...........

Used the 0W-40 a few year ago, and economy dropped significantly, even 'though it was only 12.9 cst.

IIRC a the time, it was also sold by BP as Visco (7000?)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Used the 0W-40 a few year ago, and economy dropped significantly, even 'though it was only 12.9 cst.

IIRC a the time, it was also sold by BP as Visco (7000?)

You might find that HTHS has a larger effect on fuel economy than viscosity alone.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
it now seems that a number of Oil Companies are following the M1 0w-40 lead with similar viscosity products!

FYI, Castrol 0w-40 has been out for ages... at least as long if not longer than M1 0w-40, at least in some parts of the world.

Never seen it here. How much different is it than GC which has a 12.2Cst. I do not understand why there would be two different grades seemingly so close together. Could somebody explain what am I missing here?

Hi,
QuattroPete - I cannot say how long it has been marketed in other markets. It was certainly not available here in OZ before M1 0w-40

In fact Castrol's first attempt at 0w-?? viscosity lubricants commenced in 1996! This was with Formula SLX 0w-30 (known as GC here on BITOG) and it was a disaster. It was withdrawn here about 2000 after about three formulation changes and a very poor track record! I was a first user in 1996 and I suffered my first lubricant related engine failure because of it. I was working closely with Castrol on lubricant field testing at that time

My comment on the "new" Castrol 0w-40 was more directed to it's actual formulation. Their "Edge" products here in OZ do have a good reputation

Last edited:
GC was/is a disaster. No oil has such a bad reputation here as GC, and Castrols only disaster I can think of. last time I went to the Castrol distributor they still had some, they can't give it away!

Hi,
Sprintman - So true! The Distributor must be embarrassed!!!!
I went into a major Heavy Truck parts supplier in Brisbane some time ago and the same four 5 litre containers of GC were still there from five years ago - covered in dust!
At one stage the price was $101 for 5 litres!

A Castrol Engineer (good friend and ex employee) told me that they had recalled it all and remanufactured it - I told him to do a bit more homework!

Last edited:
Hi,
Scout1 - Well the facts are that the initial ester formulation was not too stable. The product intially came here direct from Germany - it was packaged there. Later it was blended here and it's formulation was modified at least twice

Initially it caused severe varnish deposits in certain engines and in my case this caused the oil pump drive shaft to sieze and fail (2ltr VW engine). This engine was in an application where lubricant temperatures of up to 130C were not uncommon. VW and MB had at the least some similar "issues" with SLX 0w-30

It was stopped as a Service fill and it lost Porsche's Approval (and perhaps MBs too) on the way to its demise here

I used it in a BMW R100RS motorbike and a Ford Explorer without any issues at all

I related this here several years ago as the GC craze lit up!

Last edited:
Interesting! So what I buy in the states... is that as good as everyone says it is? This stuff still says made in Germany. They got the bugs out of the formulation I hope?

I bought a few qts. on sale at Autozone and have it currently in my '04 Accord.

Hi,
Scout1 - I cannot comment on the US "GC" but if it is made in Germany and carries Manufacturer Approvals then the product will be well sorted

I know that Castrol jumped off the top of the "J" of the "J" curve landing on their nose and knees with the original SLX I mentioned. Since then there have been many formulation changes, ACEA is now a watchful "master" of standards, and BP now owns Castrol!

Porsche's Approval List for the V6 Cayenne (VW engine - VW503.00 standard lubricant) contains only 5w-30 viscosity Castrol lubricants (five variations), amongst about 100 Listed lubricants

Users on BITOG seem to like the product and if it has all of the correct Manufacturer Approvals to go with it,it should perform to standard

Any idea when this unsorted GC turned into the original "green" GC that is deified here? No chance that the green GC was the one you're referring to is there? I seem to recall the green having been spoken of as an ester formula, am I mistaken? Surely it is not the same you are referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back