Castrol 0w40 PA

It’s Porsche because the regular SP 0W-40 disappeared it seems. PA has no BMW approval.

Sounds silly to ask, but is this on the front or back label ? If front, it's likely just marketing fluff. If it's on the back, it is more likely approvals-related, but not necessarily.

Sounds silly to ask, but is this on the front or back label ? If front, it's likely just marketing fluff. If it's on the back, it is more likely approvals-related, but not necessarily.
It is on the front but the other 0w40 has A3/B4 next to it. Both have Porsche A40.

Castrol USA site doesn't show 0W-40 A3/B4 anymore, just the 0W-40 PA. Probably just a very recent marketing rename, as it seems to have the same specs as before:

MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:​

• ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
  • API SN/CF
  • MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
  • Porsche A40
  • VW 502 00 / 505 00

I figured that but the question remains what does PA stand for.
They probably wanted to one-up Mobil with the "what does the FS stand for?" questions on their A3/B4 Euro oils.

The Castrol Euro LL 5W-30 (VW 504/507) and the separate 5W-30 C3 products have disappeared, renamed to a single 5W-30 K. What does K stand for? Some market genius at Castrol has too much time on their hands, is my guess.

I figured that but the question remains what does PA stand for.
Their tech sheet was updated a year ago and includes that "PA" reference but nothing at all that indicates what it means. They do refer to "Stronger Under Pressure" and "Advanced engines challenge the oil with increased pressures. These intense pressures cause friction...". Is this "pressure" reference new ?

Castrol USA site doesn't show 0W-40 A3/B4 anymore, just the 0W-40 PA. Probably just a very recent marketing rename, as it seems to have the same specs as before:

MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:​

• ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
  • API SN/CF
  • MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
  • Porsche A40
  • VW 502 00 / 505 00
It's different. There was a PDS for API SP 0W-40 with different numbers and I believe it included BMW approval but lost A40. That has now disappeared though.

It's different. There was a PDS for API SP 0W-40 with different numbers and I believe it included BMW approval but lost A40. That has now disappeared though.
Did anyone actually see or use the 0W-40 SP though?

I routinely buy Edge 0W-40 for several of my vehicles, and its been A3/B4, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, and API SN for a while now. Which, coincidentally is the same as the "PA" version talked about here. If there is an anomaly, it would be this mystery API SP version.

Did anyone actually see or use the 0W-40 SP though?

I routinely buy Edge 0W-40 for several of my vehicles, and its been A3/B4, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, and API SN for a while now. Which, coincidentally is the same as the "PA" version talked about here. If there is an anomaly, it would be this mystery API SP version.

Edge 0W-40 SP
See my thread above. I’ve used several 20L drums of the new SP formulation in my workshop. Seems like good stuff.

Back