Cars CR Thinks Will Last 200K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Anything can go 200k miles if you take care of it.

Not quite, how many dodge intrepids/Chrysler Concordes do you see driving around?

+1
laugh.gif

Wife's prius made it to 235k on its original battery and just needed a $30 module to keep truckin!
19.gif

Actually, one of my employees has an Intrepid with about 250k on it. He's the 3rd or 4th owner. It runs fine.

Any vehicle I own, if I keep it long enough, will easily go 200k. My Jeep JK is in the 120's and runs/drives like new. It will sail right past 200k.

CR is basing this upon the experience that its members have had with earlier examples of each.
CR (really CU) has a huge membership base skewed toward the higher demographic if sometimes cheapskate (like me) end of the market and their reliability ratings are probably valid.
You could probably do much worse than listening to CR in selecting a car or truck, although you could buy something that CR recommends you not and spend a few more dollars on it in reaching 200K.
There are very few really bad vehicles available these days.

Originally Posted By: knerml
10 Cars Proven To Go 200,000 Miles

This is per Consumer Reports.

As expected, made up of Hondas and Toyotas. The F150 did sneak in.

I can not see a Prius going 200K w/o big battery expense.

Well you are not correct on the Prius battery issue.

They are used as Private Hire and Taxis all over the UK.

In London there are still some 2008 Prius knocking about that have been worked from new. And some of those hit 150k in under 3 years.

Like it or loath it the Prius is good news from a reliability point of view amd battery problems are relatively rare.

Perhaps the UKs fairly mild climate helps.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Anything can go 200k miles if you take care of it.

Not quite, how many dodge intrepids/Chrysler Concordes do you see driving around?

A few here & there, In places without salted roads....You see all kinds of oddball cars.

Recently did a front end alignment on an econoline with 780k Miles. The engine was still original but he said the trans was replaced at 500k. Still pretty impressive to me!

CR is [censored]!. Anyone caught reading a copy should be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. Clearly it such a hopelessly biased journal nothing it has to say can be trusted. So the smart thing to do is check out which models it says to avoid, and buy them Almost as good as a 300k mile warranty.

Imports have taken over the lions share of the market with a high percentage of repeat customer soley because of CR?.

I don't think so.

Claud.

The salt they spread in Northern Ohio rots out the steel and then the brine they started spraying on the streets is rotting out anything made of aluminum. Hit a chuck hole and parts fall off. The main Auto Junk Yard I go to gave me a VIP pass, since I go there so much, and I just keep getting parts and slap them on my vehicles as the original parts rot off. They have an area where you can wash your hands and sometimes they serve free hot dogs.

Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
CR is so fluffy these days

I was ticked when they dumbed the mag down by taking out a lot of the detail and trying for more of an "at a glance" approach...we still subscribe and use it, though. Similar publications that accept advertising will almost always have ads for their top rated items right next to the charts, what a coincidence!

Nobody who trashes CR ever mentions another source for consumer info that has the slightest hope of being less biased than CR...should we just ask our friends if they like their cars/TVs/whatever and buy the same thing if they do?

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
CR simply recycles the same topic every few years. Not sure why anyone would subscribe to that bias publication.

CR Thread #1

CR Thread #2

CR Thread #3

It would appear we do here as well!

Seriously, I lost all respect for CR when they actually rated a new model poor when no one had even seen one yet. Always useful for raising puppies or in birdcages though...

I needed a good laugh, that was just what the doctor ordered. Talk about no bias. lol

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Actually, one of my employees has an Intrepid with about 250k on it. He's the 3rd or 4th owner. It runs fine.

Any vehicle I own, if I keep it long enough, will easily go 200k. My Jeep JK is in the 120's and runs/drives like new. It will sail right past 200k.

A friend of mine has an Intrepid from the early 2000s and it still runs well with the dreaded 2.7 engine in it. Car is well maintained though and he knows about the internal water pump potential issue. What killed a lot of 2.7 engines was an internal water leak. Generally speaking, Chrysler makes good products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back