CARQUEST RED 85334, 3,000 miles TORN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dnewton and SubieRuby made some good points above. However, would it not be cheaper in the long run to use a filter that does not tear and skip the UOA?

Additionally, wouldn't some UOAs with filters that did not tear be needed? Or just statistical analysis of UOAs in general?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Looks good. Thanx for the C&P.
34.gif

Look good?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Doesn't it just burn you every time I'm so cynical about these torn filters?
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
But ... and this is what I've been asking about for years ... how much does this matter?
I'm not in any way happy about a media tear, but the engineer in me wants to know the true effect in a measurable sense. It would be great if we could get some UOAs to go along with these "tears", to see if we can find any correlation of wear increase in a substantial manner. Undoubtedly no person will advocate that a tear is a good thing. But how much of a bad-thing is this really? Conceptually we all cringe at this. But what is the real world willing to reveal to us?

Is a tear good? No way.
Is a tear bad? Probably, but by how much?
Really bad? Mostly bad? Somewhat bad? Barely bad? Hardly discernibly bad?
Part of me says that because they tear, I will not waste my money on them and thus I kicked both Purolator and Motorcraft to the curb a few years ago. With that said, part of me has to cautiously agree with Dave on "how bad". Unless this particular filter had a great deal more sediment in it, the fact that some remains tends to make me believe the tear is not flowing that much or there would be no sediment remaining as it would have bypassed the filter element. Hard to say and virtually impossible for a layman to prove, but I do question it.

Now does that mean I would go back to using them even if someone could determine how much flow there is through the tear? Not a snowballs chance...

34.gif

Look good?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Z06, read my reply again. It reads,LOOKS GOOD.
thumbsup2.gif

Look ... Looks, sill conveys that torn media is good. You did see the tear, right?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I believe the pressure drop happens within the media itself, from the outside to inside. let's say an engine has worn out bearings and low oil pressure, almost like an open hole. Does that mean the filter is experiencing more pressure drop? If so maybe that's why Purolator's cheap line may tear, they have been unlucky on what engine they get put on. Just unlucky filters.
A positive displacement oil pump will put out the same volume if the bearings are worn if the pump isn't in pressure relief, but the observed engine oil pressure will just be less.

Delta-p across the filter is a function of the flow volume, not the inlet or outlet pressure. In other words, inlet of 100 psi and outlet of 90 psi with 5 gpm is 10 psid. Likewise, inlet of 60 psi and outlet of 50 psi with 5 gpm is also 10 psid.

34.gif

Look good?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Z06, read my reply again. It reads,LOOKS GOOD.
thumbsup2.gif

Look ... Looks, sill conveys that torn media is good. You did see the tear, right?

I saw something that looks like it could have happened to the filter media after the filter was cut open, possibly.
You know, like that P1 I have sitting on my shelf in the shed, that's not cut open yet, but the filter media is shredded like confetti!

glad i heeded the advice of my local carquest store to not buy the newer red filters.
he sold me a nice shiny wix for about the same money
grin.gif

Cut it open and find out.

I will. But, I know FOR SURE the media will be torn. I have ESP N.

I'm sure you'll make sure it's torn one way or the other, just like 100 other reported "faked" tears.
lol.gif

ZeeOSix said:

Originally Posted By: Zee0Six
I'm sure you'll make sure it's torn one way or the other, just like 100 other reported "faked" tears.
lol.gif

So, if we know it's going to have torn media, why cut it open? I mean, really, I too can tear the media and post it as another claimed torn Tearalator filter.
21.gif

^^^ "Conspiracy syndrome" if someone believes the whole Purolator tearing media issue is all staged, especially when the majority of the torn filters were posted in this forum by once Purolator fanboys.

^^^ "Conspiracy syndrome" if someone believes the whole Purolator tearing media issue is all staged, especially when the majority of the torn filters were posted in this forum by once Purolator fanboys.

You know, when you form a new social group and become its leader you should stay faithful to your brand. Shame on you for straying from your beloved filter.
31.gif
28.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Part of me says that because they tear, I will not waste my money on them and thus I kicked both Purolator and Motorcraft to the curb a few years ago. With that said, part of me has to cautiously agree with Dave on "how bad". Unless this particular filter had a great deal more sediment in it, the fact that some remains tends to make me believe the tear is not flowing that much or there would be no sediment remaining as it would have bypassed the filter element. Hard to say and virtually impossible for a layman to prove, but I do question it.

Now does that mean I would go back to using them even if someone could determine how much flow there is through the tear? Not a snowballs chance...

+1 2015_PSD So far this is the best advice I have heard. I should have followed it a long time ago.

Thanks for the wake up.

You know, when you form a new social group and become its leader you should stay faithful to your brand. Shame on you for straying from your beloved filter.
31.gif
28.gif

And what filter is that ... the one that came up torn all across the country?
laugh.gif

Why is it that some brands can be successfully opened with no damage but somehow the Purolator ones are torn?

Again, it is one thing to be a true believer and defend your turf. But being deliberately blind and ignoring plain evidence makes one look like they aren't fully grasping reality.

I used to use tons of Puros-Motorcrafts, Pure Ones, PB ProLines, Quaker State, etc., etc.-but I believe car51-he has no axe to grind here-if he says they were torn when he cut them open, that's good enough for me. I've been lucky, I haven't had one tear, but I use almost none these days.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why is it that some brands can be successfully opened with no damage but somehow the Purolator ones are torn?

Again, it is one thing to be a true believer and defend your turf. But being deliberately blind and ignoring plain evidence makes one look like they aren't fully grasping reality.

No, it's called seeing how far you can go, while having fun with 2 GULLIBLE JESTERS, that keep making accusations about someone that pretends to be blind to the tears. What, are you 2 so frickin' ignorant to the fact that I ACTUALLY can't see the tears? That's the part where I'm jerking your chains and having fun with you 2!
I'm in a wheelchair 8-12 hours a day now, so we can continue this back and forth game as long as you want! I'm not going anywhere.
Ok, it's one of you 2's turn.
spankme2.gif

No, it's called seeing how far you can go, while having fun with 2 GULLIBLE JESTERS, that keep making accusations about someone that pretends to be blind to the tears. What, are you 2 so frickin' ignorant to the fact that I ACTUALLY can't see the tears? That's the part where I'm jerking your chains and having fun with you 2!
I'm in a wheelchair 8-12 hours a day now, so we can continue this back and forth game as long as you want! I'm not going anywhere.
Ok, it's one of you 2's turn.
spankme2.gif

If you weren't such a "jacker", people might actually believe what you say.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back