Can't Get Blade Loose on 48" JD Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1/2" earthquake impact from Harbor Freight would absolutely remove any bolt on any lawn mower. I've removed hundreds of blades and they are zipped off in 1 second flat. Even if the bolt doesn't come off, it will absolutely snap it off within 2 seconds, in which place you know it was REALLY on there and now you can fix the problem.

You could do it manually by blocking the blade with a block of wood, and use a large breaker bar with a pipe on the end. I have a 3/4 inch breaker bar in the garage and a pipe. I could put 1000 plus ft lbs of torque on that bolt manually if I had to.

Worst case scenario you throw the blade and spindle in the trash and start over with fresh parts.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Take the spindle assembly out, take the assembly to a shop and have them heat it. It will save you a lot of frustration, time, and skin.

If it's $25 spindle, then get a new one.

Went by JD yesterday. Just the bolt in bottom of spindle is $20. The entire spindle assembly is $85. That's what JD suggested I purchase if stuff gets wrung off. My personal mechanic is gonna try an impact wrench in it one day this week.

I'd first try the impact wrench on a low setting, if possible, and use a very good fitting impact socket. I've found that using a long breaker bar will often mess up the bolt head because, I couldn't keep the socket totally straight on to bolt head. Ed

Don't know which particular model you have but Sterns makes quality replacement parts for JD and the spindles are about $60 on ebay. The bolts on my F510 are a 7/16" diameter bolt with normal threads. I went with a 316 SS bolt.

Amazon sells them too under the Sterns name. Might be cheaper yet.

Spindle Assembly 48" 54" 60" 72" Decks John Deere Lawn Mowers Compact Tractors

Amazon search for JD 48" spindle

A couple years ago I rebuilt one of my spindles as it was making a lot of noise. When you grease them do not pump in too much grease as you will blow the seal and this will shorten the life. Two bearings about 2" apart are all that is inside, The grease fills a void between them. I give it 10 pumps twice a year of the grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back