Can't Complete Oil Change: Terrible Oil Filter Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RayCJ
I hope the OP is aware that there's a small band-steel retaining clip that needs to be pushed out of the way while loosening the cartridge cap. There are plastic notches on the cap and when it's tightened, the strip of band steel presses up against the one of the notches to (presumably) prevent the cap from unscrewing from vibration.

Put the filter cap wrench on the cap, use a screwdriver to momentarily pry the band-steel spring out of the way and then, unscrew the wrench. As the cap unscrews after a couple turns, the band steel will no longer be in proximity of the plastic tabs on the cap. -And yes, I agree, it seems totally unnecessary.

I found this out the hard way (just like are) on my son's Corolla.

Ray

If I'm not mistaken the Motivix brand tool holds the steel band out of the way. The one from Amazon looks almost identical to my Motovix at half the cost.

I hope the OP is aware that there's a small band-steel retaining clip that needs to be pushed out of the way while loosening the cartridge cap. There are plastic notches on the cap and when it's tightened, the strip of band steel presses up against the one of the notches to (presumably) prevent the cap from unscrewing from vibration.

Put the filter cap wrench on the cap, use a screwdriver to momentarily pry the band-steel spring out of the way and then, unscrew the wrench. As the cap unscrews after a couple turns, the band steel will no longer be in proximity of the plastic tabs on the cap. -And yes, I agree, it seems totally unnecessary.

Ray

No, I don't know what you're talking about. I have the metal/aluminum filter housing and I haven't seen anything like what you're talking about. Is this just on the plastic housings?

I once got a flathead screwdriver that had an extremely thick square shaft and I hammered it through the middle. I took off an possible to turn oil filter a friend couldn't get off in no time. I believe there are also jawed or tension band tools that work great. If I were you I would buy a k&n filter just for the fact it has a nut on the end making it a breeze to take off.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright

Ray

No, I don't know what you're talking about. I have the metal/aluminum filter housing and I haven't seen anything like what you're talking about. Is this just on the plastic housings?

Nothing like that on my 4cyl Camry.

I use a decent tool, short 1/2 extension, socket, and 1/2 drive HF ratchet. It will come off. Don't use any type of pliers type tool, you'll run the risk of damaging the plastic housing.

Originally Posted by JavierH19
I once got a flathead screwdriver that had an extremely thick square shaft and I hammered it through the middle. I took off an possible to turn oil filter a friend couldn't get off in no time. I believe there are also jawed or tension band tools that work great. If I were you I would buy a k&n filter just for the fact it has a nut on the end making it a breeze to take off.

The OP has mentioned several times that it's a Toyota with a cartridge filter where he had difficulty removing the housing for the cartridge. Here's a full kit for an oil change that includes the cartridge, o-rings, replacement filter housing cap, OE cap removal tool, and replacement filter housing drain bolt and sealing washer for the (not included) oil drain bolt. Also a plastic insert to drain the oil out of the filter housing. All I can say is that seems to be a lot of work compared to a drain bolt and spin-on filter. I'm not sure if this metal housing is compatible with the Highlander.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-04152-YZZA1-15620-31060-15643-31050-APSG/dp/B06XZF7JW4

[Linked Image]

Now just to make sure I'm not mistaken, this housing loosens by turning left or counter-clockwise as we would expect from most threaded parts, correct?

Now just to make sure I'm not mistaken, this housing loosens by turning left or counter-clockwise as we would expect from most threaded parts, correct?

Sounds about right. However, I usually have my socket wrench handle hanging down, so I think of it as turning it right (counterclockwise) from the bottom.

Have you read the owners manual cracky?

Also to reiterate, he is not dealing with a spin on filter. It's a good setup. The cover was overtightened.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Also to reiterate, he is not dealing with a spin on filter. It's a good setup. The cover was overtightened.

This vehicle came from Carmax with NO manual. I really, REALLY want a manual, but no such luck. If it's anything like my Tacoma owner's manual, there's very little info about mechanical procedures. My 2013 Tacoma manual basically says, "Consult with your Toyota dealer" about everything.

Originally Posted by PimTac

This vehicle came from Carmax with NO manual. I really, REALLY want a manual, but no such luck. If it's anything like my Tacoma owner's manual, there's very little info about mechanical procedures. My 2013 Tacoma manual basically says, "Consult with your Toyota dealer" about everything.

Owners manual download.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/highlander/2015

I have a physical owners manual for the Mazda and a downloaded version as well. I keep the digital one on my iPhone.

Lol. Yes, of course, no surprises there, unless you're lying upside down and confusing the direction.
wink.gif

Speaking of the manuals, here are the official oil-change instructions from the repair/service manual for the Gen 4 Prius. The Corolla is similar. I don't have the Highlander.

When it comes to oil change, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking at the Prius forum, where I originally posted this, Gen 4 Prius that was introduced in 2016 switched to a spin-on oil filter from cartridge oil filter in 2017/09.

Ha!

I really prefer spin-on oil filters because they are not only easier to deal with but also you have a much bigger variety of aftermarket filters and you can install oversized filters, such as the Fram Ultra XG3600 I installed in my Corolla.

Newer is not always better. In fact, these days newer seems to be often worse.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Looking at the Prius forum, where I originally posted this, Gen 4 Prius that was introduced in 2016 switched to a spin-on oil filter from cartridge oil filter in 2017/09.

Ha!

I really prefer spin-on oil filters because they are not only easier to deal with but also you have a much bigger variety of aftermarket filters and you can install oversized filters, such as the Fram Ultra XG3600 I installed in my Corolla.

Newer is not always better. In fact, these days newer seems to be often worse.

Cartridge filters aren't necessarily all that new. Here's one from a late 80s 2.5L Pontiac Fiero:

I remember perusing a shelf with various oil filters and I checked on box that seemed light and had one of these things. I think the filter had a hex nut end on the cap although I'm not sure what size. It also drained only by removing the filter housing. No O-rings either with gaskets built into the cartridge filter.

In diagram #3 that Gohkan posted above, you can see points A and B that show the metal band steel clip and tab I was talking about. My Son's 2014 Corolla had that same setup. What a PITA! Yes, the oil filter removal tool is supposed to hold the clip out of the way while unscrewing it. Operative phrase I used is "supposed to" ... In reality, I had to take a small screwdriver and hold it out of the way.

I have no idea why that was necessary. The natural resistance of removing that cap was more than enough to hold it firmly during operation.

Anyhow, the car was totaled in a multi-car blizzard pile-up when it was a little over a year old so it's not my problem anymore.

Ray

Like others have said, you need a higher quality oil filter housing tool (which in of itself is another reason I hate doing oil changes on Toyota's).

I owned a Lexus for five years, I think during that span I had performed two "clean" oil changes over the 178,000 miles I put on that car. Took the fun and relaxation out if oil changes for me (yes I'm one of those weird people that finds oil changes therapeutic). The drain valve was always an issue on the housing....sometimes the spicket supplied with the filter would work, sometimes it wouldn't. And then it'd get messy. One brand of oil filter, can't remember which one supplied a spicket that actually threaded into the bottom of the housing, rather than just being pushed in. That was great. I was always worried about rolling the O ring when installing the housing - I've seen that done more than once (a Jeep and a Volvo) - and I was always worried about cracking the housing by tightening it too much...or worried I wouldn't tighten it enough. But I was careful on both counts. What I should have done was buy the aluminum housing cap, but I always figured...hey no, I'll get used to this plastic housing and nothing will go wrong. And nothing did, but I just longed for that traditional spin on filter - luckily my new vehicle has that now.

I'm sure they could have made an easier and better design. I wonder what they were thinking????

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by JavierH19

The OP has mentioned several times that it's a Toyota with a cartridge filter where he had difficulty removing the housing for the cartridge. Here's a full kit for an oil change that includes the cartridge, o-rings, replacement filter housing cap, OE cap removal tool, and replacement filter housing drain bolt and sealing washer for the (not included) oil drain bolt. Also a plastic insert to drain the oil out of the filter housing. All I can say is that seems to be a lot of work compared to a drain bolt and spin-on filter. I'm not sure if this metal housing is compatible with the Highlander.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-04152-YZZA1-15620-31060-15643-31050-APSG/dp/B06XZF7JW4

[Linked Image]

Although a standard spin on filter is quicker, I don't really find the cartridge filter that much more work. Just an extra couple steps really. I like the fact I can almost completely drain the housing and I can inspect the filter media without having to cut open a metal can. That is a plus for those that like to do that!

In diagram #3 that Gohkan posted above, you can see points A and B that show the metal band steel clip and tab I was talking about. My Son's 2014 Corolla had that same setup. What a PITA! Yes, the oil filter removal tool is supposed to hold the clip out of the way while unscrewing it. Operative phrase I used is "supposed to" ... In reality, I had to take a small screwdriver and hold it out of the way.

I have no idea why that was necessary. The natural resistance of removing that cap was more than enough to hold it firmly during operation.

Anyhow, the car was totaled in a multi-car blizzard pile-up when it was a little over a year old so it's not my problem anymore.Ray

Sorry about your accident, Ray.

I did several oil changes on the 2009 Corolla that I bought brand-new and sold in a couple of years. It was no more difficult than a spin-on oil filter, except it was a long reach and my arm felt like about to separate from my shoulder blade. Never had the smallest problem loosening or tightening anything.

I never paid any attention the clip. The official instructions don't say anything about it other than not to touch it. The OEM oil-filter cap wrench is barebones and nothing special. I don't know why you had problems with it.
21.gif

65 mm:

[Linked Image]

100 mm:

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back