Oil change on Expedition

Watched a quick vid, then realized I'd probably find the answer faster here... 2014 Expedition, oil change: ramps needed or desired? I'm used to my cars, usually I can reach under, or if necessary, jack an inch and get just enough space to do the job. I'd prefer not to use ramps, as I've never used them, and don't have anyhow (would resort to lifting and jack stands).

Is the oil filter really above a crossmember?

I won't see the vehicle until Saturday, when the kid brings it by to do the change (wants someone to supervise). I'm pretty sure I can muddle my way through with zero research, but like most things, reading up beforehand tends to be wise.

Sounds like he has the oil and an XG2 filter, so I think he's set on that front (if not, we'll make a parts run).

I can't swear to a 2014, but no ramps are needed for my 2008. No skid plates or bottom covers to remove, either.
Glad to hear, thanks.

He's a skinny kid, so I'm hoping for the best here. :) He says he's done it before, so my plan is to let him drive and tell me the steps.

Ours is pretty tight to shimmy under if you're going under the running boards, but it's not too bad from the front.
I've got a stack of 2xsomethings that I use for cribbing, so we can always improvise a quick ramp. Or jack a bit and use the stands.

I'm more concerned about it fitting in my garage... it's a bit cold out there right now! if I can't close the door, well I hope it's a fast job. :)

He says he's done it before,
So where's the need for research ....or even your help?
Obviously I know having a another person around is more fun and much safer.

If you don't have an oil filter wrench, have masking tape handy so you can wrap it around for grip.....do a sloppy, boggery job wrapping, not smooth.

So where's the need for research ....or even your help?
I like to try to be prepared.

As for him, I suspect it might have been a couple of years since he did it? something like that. He would have done it under the supervision of his father… who unfortunately passed away a couple years ago. I suspect as he is getting older he wants more responsibility, ergo taking this on.

If this is an FL820S on a 3V (my condolences), I very much prefer the appropriate cup socket on a wobble. If it's tight there's so little room to really grab it by hand and try to twist.

You could also use one of the universal "2-jaw" self tightening wrenches (ala Lisle et al) to remove it. For some reason those things cause me anxiety when getting them on the filter -- always trying to spring closed -- but they absolutely do work quite well 99% of the time once seated.

If it's not a 3V, I'm no help

I'm not sure what the difficulty with reaching the filter on a 3V is. There is a plastic cowl on the bottom of the radiator shroud that can be flipped up to make lots of room to reach it. There's a little catch on the middle of it that releases it.

Maybe it's different on different years.

You are much better off with YT to see the exact as videos are better than pics and words combine. Chances are the exact solutions had been lost on YT by members here.

Not a bad job. More mess on my floor, from the filter coming off, but he got that off when I wasn't looking, so... eh, brake clean fixed that.

Only one hitch: I'm not clear if an uncle did the job last, or the uncle supervised the last change, but apparently there just isn't enough unga-dungas in his mind when it comes to oil changes. One run to the parts store for a new bolt and all is fine. [Ignore the fuzz, that's from later on.]
1705776836579.jpg

I bought an M14x1.5 to chase the pan but it felt like it was starting to cut threads, so I quit. The bolt went in cleanly though, and my finger didn't detect bad threads, so it appears that the bolt was softer than the pan, as one would hope for.

I could stand to get a better oil filter wrench though, on my to do I think.

Usually on those the plug strips before the pan does. We keep them in stock because we had a lube tech, and also a SMT, who likes to tighten them a bit too much. So the next guy gets to pop in a new plug.

Usually on those the plug strips before the pan does. We keep them in stock because we had a lube tech, and also a SMT, who likes to tighten them a bit too much. So the next guy gets to pop in a new plug.
Yes, I was quite glad that it was properly designed with that in mind. I had a bit of a fear that this was going to be more involved once he kept wrenching on the bolt to remove it! I haven't had to deal with buggered up oil pan threads yet, hopefully I can delay that... forever.

Looks like a great candidate for a Valvomax drain plug to me for next time.

Trav likes and recommends them so that works for me. I put one in the Pilot last change.
Valvomax. Huh, pretty cool.
1705781280083.jpg

What'd be cooler is if they could drain right into the 5 quart empty that I'll drop off at Walmart... ok I'd have to jack the car up for that, not sure if that is less work.

Have to remember that, we did chat about Fumoto's on the drive to the store, and while he thought it a nice idea, he immediately latched onto the concern of accidentally flipping it. Still kinda cool and all. I just haven't had that much of an issue with a bolt, but a few dollars to reduce cleanup at the end... that part is the most tedious, wiping down catch basins and whatnot. Lots of paper towels.

Valvomax. Huh, pretty cool.
View attachment 199545
What'd be cooler is if they could drain right into the 5 quart empty that I'll drop off at Walmart... ok I'd have to jack the car up for that, not sure if that is less work.

Have to remember that, we did chat about Fumoto's on the drive to the store, and while he thought it a nice idea, he immediately latched onto the concern of accidentally flipping it. Still kinda cool and all. I just haven't had that much of an issue with a bolt, but a few dollars to reduce cleanup at the end... that part is the most tedious, wiping down catch basins and whatnot. Lots of paper towels.
The '19 Pilot is not a good candidate for the Fumoto IMO. How the plug sits in recessed pan doesn't give many options. I have pictures posted of both in my posts. I do have a Fumoto in the Accord and had in my Sequoia and Sonata. Never had an issue BUT they were protected better. Fumoto now has plastic clips as a safety. Older they used like a 1/2" spring clamp. Pair of pliers to move that, it was solid.

You could get a drain bag/pan version like that and just pour out to the "recycle" 5qt jug. No need to wipe out the bladder one, just keep cap on it for next time for any residue.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/post-your-latest-oil-change.108957/post-6735949

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/post-your-latest-oil-change.108957/post-6683591

You could get a drain bag/pan version like that and just pour out to the "recycle" 5qt jug. No need to wipe out the bladder one, just keep cap on it for next time for any residue.
That alone would be reason for me to investigate this; you're right, that's a bit of a "duh" thing to have to point out to me. ;) But thanks, clearly I missed that bit. I might have to look into that, might be a nice upgrade.

That alone would be reason for me to investigate this; you're right, that's a bit of a "duh" thing to have to point out to me. ;) But thanks, clearly I missed that bit. I might have to look into that, might be a nice upgrade.
The jug thing would be nice but needs to paired with the "ziplock bag" oil filter method or you need the drain pan anyway.

Back