Can more oil=longer drain intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doublebase
You know, I don't know what the manual states as far as driving conditions go. As far as the type of driving I do, it's mostly highway and I'm pretty easy on the pedal.

Did you actually go by the oil change monitor and go the 17k miles before changing it?

I sold the Rainier before I got to that point but was considering it. A new job has me driving 40-50k miles/year and 90% highway. When it was prompting 11k intervals, it was doing 15k/yr.

I got the Accord for better mpg. It's MM is putting me a little over 10k miles. I will probably wear out the cruise control button first.

5K sounds too short; get a UOA for verification.

My friend did almost 9K on a 4.7L Tundra using Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and it is almost exclusively short trips. 6.5qt sump.

UOA looked good.

I ran 10,000 mile changes on my 2005 and 2006 4.7 2wd Tundra's. 2 samplings of the 5w-30 Mobil 1 from each sent to the lab suggested that I could have gone farther.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm surprised how many BITOGers run short 5k to 7k OCIs with synthetic oil.

I'm going to try going further than the recommended 5,000....maybe 7,500.
The guy who wrote that all my savings will be wiped out in seconds when my variable valve control system get clogged, scared me. And he might have a point. But I'm going to extend it anyway - I drive mostly highway and as it is now I lose zero oil in between 5k mile changes...I'm going to give the toyota synthetic a try.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Apparently you don't know about tgmo(toyota genuine motor oil) in the 0w-20 flavour.
So I'll inform you. It's a mobil product with a crazy high viscosity index,crazy high in moly,that's a friction modifier and is a very good product.
Around here we figure it's the unicorn tears that make it so good.
So please. If you don't know maybe become informed by asking rather than just assuming something.

Op
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. TGMO is hellagood.

We know that between US and Canada the TGMO may not made by the same supplier. And if you get it bulk from the dealer, there is no telling what exactly you're getting. It may not even be 0w20 if the dealer is really shady. TGMO is also available in 5w20 and 5w30 viscosities.
Since TGMO is Toyota branded, their supplier choice will be driven primarily by cost. Just because one supplier makes it now, doesn't mean Toyota will stick with them. Regional availability and pricing play a major role as well, so TGMO in one place is not guaranteed to be the same as TGMO in another.

That is why there is no product data sheet for TGMO oils. Toyota does not want to commit itself to one supplier. And why would they?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3334021/Who_makes_TGMO_0w20_in_Canada?

I was trying to be a smart a$$.

I have never used the stuff. I'm more of a mainstreamer when it comes to oil.

I'm curious what Lexus recommends in other countries for your engine. I would be surprised if it was also 5k miles.

I highly doubt going extra 2.5k miles on synthetic causes clogged VVT screens.

Originally Posted By: Doog
The newer engines call for a 10,000 mile OCI but I would never do it based on my experience. If you keep a Toyota engine clean you will easily get 2-300k out of it with simple maintenance. Stick with the recommended OCI.

Please explain, either you go with the Toyota recommended OCI of 10K or you don't???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back