Can I top off a diesel with gasoline oil?

You would be ok driving it a quart low. You would be ok adding the regular oil. You would also be ok by buying the correct oil. All of the answers are correct. Best answer: Buy the correct oil as soon as you can. Now on to the next multiple choice question.

I did exactly what the OP inquired about two weeks ago in the exact engine. 12 quarts of Mobil 1 5w40 diesel, 1 liter of Pentosin 5w40 Euro. A lot of things "worry" me, 12 quarts of diesel oil and one quart of gasoline oil does not. But, I must provide full disclosure- I am not a oil guru and anything close.

Last edited:
Why not just drive it on the 12 quarts diesel oil until you can get an additional quart? Being 1 quart low out of 13 won't be a problem. Better than contaminating 12 quarts of fresh oil.
This.

Isn't a 6.7L Powerstroke F250 like $90k these days? Go to Walmart and buy a $4 quart of 15w40 diesel oil.

I look at it this way, the engine has 3 gallons of oil in the sump. All that oil isn't going to be in use lubricating parts at the same exact time. It will have minimum 2 gallons just sitting in the sump waiting to be pumped thru the engine. It gets pumped pretty quick, but it won't be pumped dry. For longevity, the mfgr wants 13 qts to be there because it saves them from having to replace the engine on their dime. I'm not saying to everyone to run your engine low on oil, but if yours take 13 quarts, being 1 qt low isn't a class 5 emergency.,,,

I would say go for it, and it won't cause issues. But if it is easy enough, just go get another quart. Just a word of caution though, the Ford spec on the 6.7 is very specific. Most diesel-rated 5w-40s don't even qualify for the motor. I run Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40 in mine, and if I have to add any, I run a 15w-40; most meet the Ford spec.

you have a 70k+ truck. But you cant either find an additonal quart of of 10w30 diesel oil or you ant afford another 13 quarts. Think outside that box. Mayhaps drain it and fill it with 5w40 or 15w40 diesel oil.

Last edited:
It’ll be fine, but you could also just run it low until you bought the proper oil.

When I was younger, I accidentally used gasser oil in a diesel. It still lives ~20 years later.

I was about to leave this thread, but when thinking about it, completely prefer adding a quart of decent oil as opposed to running a quart low. Who at BITOG is really advocating anything other than running a vehicle filled to capacity all the time.

you have a 70k+ truck. But you cant either find an additonal quart of of 10w30 diesel oil or you ant afford another 13 quarts. Think outside that box. Mayhaps drain it and fill it with 5w40 or 15w40 diesel oil.
I can find an additional quart as well as afford another 13 quarts. I'm more curious if it could be done in a pinch without appreciable risk.

You will probably be holding your breath a very long time until you hear definitively from a Ford Tribologist/Mechanical engineer who will satisify your question.

In the meantime, its been this long and you havent made the decision yet? :)

1 day, 13 hours, 35 minutes, and 52 seconds

1.5666 days

37.598 hours

2,255.87 minutes

135,352 seconds

You will probably be holding your breath a very long time until you hear definitively from a Ford Tribologist/Mechanical engineer who will satisify your question.

In the meantime, its been this long and you havent made the decision yet? :)

1 day, 13 hours, 35 minutes, and 52 seconds

1.5666 days

37.598 hours

2,255.87 minutes

135,352 seconds
I'm letting it do an extended drain. Thinking about letting it drain for another week or so. Gotta make sure all that corrosive oil is out of there, ya know? jk

I'm gonna be picking up some more oil and doing the job this weekend. The truck actually isn't mine, I'm doing the OC as a favor for a friend using the last of my stash of T5 just to get rid of it. They didn't mind topping it off with PCMO, but I was a bit leery and wanted to consult with the council first.

Last edited:
"...the time to buy is when you DONT need it so YOU CAN HIT A SALE!

I swear, my brother and I schedule an OC for him and I tell him I have a stash. He still buys it at fullest price.

Drives me bananas....drives me ape $#!t....Wait a minute, bananas is ape $#!t.

Exactly, the time to buy is when you DONT need it so then you will have it when you do.
Luck favors the prepared.
Definitely agree. I keep a stash around for a few changes for my personal vehicles, but I'm doing this change for a friend to get rid of some diesel oil I have no use for.

Back