Can I top off a diesel with gasoline oil?

Would you feel comfortable topping off a diesel engine with gasoline oil?

I've got a 6.7L turbodiesel in my 2021 F-250. It takes 13 quarts of diesel oil, but I've only got 12 quarts of T5 10W-30 on hand. Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to use gasoline oil for that final quart?

According to my calculations it would make the composition of the oil about 93% diesel oil and 7% gasoline oil. At what concentration of gasoline oil would you begin to be concerned?

I have done it in a pinch when my box truck was about 3 qts low from neglect. I put it on the road like that for a few days until I could change it out with the proper oil. In your case I recommend you get the right stuff and forego the gasoline oil.

If you have one quart out of 12 it will be fine but I wouldn't make a habbit out of it. If you haven't bought the Gasoline rated oil yet just buy the quart of diesel oil you need.

Shell Rotella T-5 10W-30 oil with the CK-4 rating is a very impressive product. If this is your oil change then I would make the effort to fill the sump with the proper amount of T-5.

If you're three quarters of the way through an oil drain interval and you're in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night with the only option for a top-off quart is some truck stop then you do what you have to do. But if you're doing a service-fill then do it correctly.

I've got some Warren made Kirkland 5W-30.
its slightly not right. Also, you came into a forum full of sharks that will ponder on this endlessly.

If you can, go get 1 more quart of the good stuff. Otherwise the entire time you drive that nice truck, you will know you put 1 quart of the slightly not right stuff inside.

Welcome to BITOG. Your engine might explode, it might be fine. Good luck.

Not far. The question is mostly academic, but it would be nice to not have to make a trip to the store for a single quart.
Perhaps you can buy more than a quart. If you can afford the storage space and the coin, buy the needed quart + enough oil for your next change. Pick up a filter or two, and be ahead of the game.

If you were making a vodka martini and discovered you lacked enough vermouth would you just add enough sherry to make up the difference?

1690418765756.jpg

Back